Harvz

Official: Chelsea Sign Michy Batshuayi

83 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

I hope he sticks around this season as very risky to judge a player to emphatically after one season in a new league.

My opinion of him changed as the season went on, but it changed for the worse to be honest. Early on I thought the signs were good and felt he was underused at times, but then as the season went on and he did get some game time I thought he was underwhelming.

A number of reasons likely for this and its way too early to write him off, he has had a year under his belt now and knows what its all about in the PL, so this season is the year we should start to see some improvement.

Seems a good guy and I expect a good pro and I would really like him to suceed at the club. This is a big season for him though, if he is not at Chelsea then I expect it will be  PL loan and he needs to make more of an impact this season. Hopefully , he will be in our squad though.

I thought the further in to the season we got, the harder he tried to make things happen, to the point he was almost trying too hard to make an impact, which generally led to poorer looking performances. It was only after he scored the goal that wrapped up the title that he seemed to relax, as if it were the case he had nothing to prove any more, and he played better and better. I think he just needed more game time throughout the season, partly to get him used to the PL, partly to keep his match fitness and touch up to par, but also to show a level of trust which goes a long way to helping a new player 'relax' and therefore play at their best.

1 person likes this

^ This

4 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

I

My opinion of him changed as the season went on, but it changed for the worse to be honest. Early on I thought the signs were good and felt he was underused at times, but then as the season went on and he did get some game time I thought he was underwhelming.

yes, it is almost as though not playing for 6 months hindered his chances of making an instant impact. Who'd have thought it. Even when Costa was suspended, he was left out. Must have battered his confidence. 

4 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

When he did play, I dont feel he offered any presence whatsoever. These games were quite early on, but even the Peterborough cup game when he scored a couple, I just felt he didn't really give their defence a great deal of trouble that day. I just wanted something more from him, I felt he was quite static and played in a 20 yard square radius, rather than really showing he felt that he could be our first choice striker.

I'm not going to judge him on this though, its difficult settling in to a new country and league and even more so when your fitness is probably not quite at the highest level through lack of game time.

I'm still very hopeful he will prove to be a good acquisition for us and this is not me writing him off, but he also needs to step up quite a bit this season. I think he has the makings of being a very good striker for us and maybe he just needs the confidence of starting a few games in a row for things to click.

He needs games. Any player does.

when he got some consistent game time near the end of the season, he notched a few goals. WBA, Watford, Sunderland * 2

25 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

yes, it is almost as though not playing for 6 months hindered his chances of making an instant impact. Who'd have thought it. Even when Costa was suspended, he was left out. Must have battered his confidence. 

He needs games. Any player does.

when he got some consistent game time near the end of the season, he notched a few goals. WBA, Watford, Sunderland * 2

I did say he didn't get much game time, I also pointed out that he was not in peak fitness and adjusting to a new quicker league. You have just responded with points I already made in my initial post.

I want to see a bit more than a handful of goals in some dead rubber games at the end of the season. Like I say, not writing him off, but he needs game time but he also needs to offer more himself.

1 minute ago, Zoowraa said:

I did say he didn't get much game time, I also pointed out that he was not in peak fitness and adjusting to a new quicker league. You have just responded with points I already made in my initial post.

I want to see a bit more than a handful of goals in some dead rubber games at the end of the season. Like I say, not writing him off, but he needs game time but he also needs to offer more himself.

It's a bit chicken and egg though isn't it?

4 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

Not splitting hairs here but didn't he score the goal that won the league for us ? Hardly a dead rubber.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Not splitting hairs here but didn't he score the goal that won the league for us ? Hardly a dead rubber.

Dead rubber for the opposition though, as were the other teams we played where he scored back end of season.

Not a criticism , but then I don't see it as praiseworthy either

3 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

Dead rubber for the opposition though, as were the other teams we played where he scored back end of season.

Not a criticism , but then I don't see it as praiseworthy either

Maybe my judgement is clouded as I like the guy and his attitude , I do think he has the makings of a really good EPL striker, particularly when surrounded by quality players.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

It's a bit chicken and egg though isn't it?

As long as it's consistent chicken and egg. For example, a youth player on the cusp and not getting a chance is often labelled 'not good enough' or 'not showing enough in training' .

I'm a firm believer in players being given a chance, it just seems some change their tact depending on the debate/player in question at the time.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Maybe my judgement is clouded as I like the guy and his attitude , I do think he has the makings of a really good EPL striker, particularly when surrounded by quality players.

I think a few fall into this camp and I can see why. I hope you are bang on and we get to see more of that potential next season.