• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign N'Golo Kante

33 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Beast of a pairing, those two. Bakayoko has the power, Kante the mobility. Not sure it is a great pairing against teams who will park the bus, but in big games like Wednesday, it is perfect. 

From the WAGNH article I posted a link to in the Atletico Madrid match day thread:

"Pundits reducing Bakayoko and Kanté to athletes will be reeling at how effortlessly the pair controlled midfield with the ball. Clearly both are absolute specimens, but the one-touch football that created the winning goal only happens with wonderfully talented footballers, not marathon runners or outside centres (Bakayoko could double up for the French rugby team). Watching them stop Atlético’s counterattacks before they had even crossed the halfway line was frankly mindboggling. Yet, the skill and progressive passing on display does not sit comfortably alongside this crass stereotype."

I agree with that. To label them in as simplistic a way as some do here is doing them a disservice. They have greater skill than many are keen to acknowledge. Kanté has had the benefit of two seasons in the Premier League, now, whilst Bakayoko is not only still finding his feet but also getting back up to speed following his operation. Yet the two of them look as if they've been playing alongside each other for years. I'm more than happy for them to start as a duo or part of a three with Cesc no matter the opposition, no matter the tactics employed by either side.

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

From the WAGNH article I posted a link to in the Atletico Madrid match day thread:

"Pundits reducing Bakayoko and Kanté to athletes will be reeling at how effortlessly the pair controlled midfield with the ball. Clearly both are absolute specimens, but the one-touch football that created the winning goal only happens with wonderfully talented footballers, not marathon runners or outside centres (Bakayoko could double up for the French rugby team). Watching them stop Atlético’s counterattacks before they had even crossed the halfway line was frankly mindboggling. Yet, the skill and progressive passing on display does not sit comfortably alongside this crass stereotype."

I agree with that. To label them in as simplistic a way as some do here is doing them a disservice. They have greater skill than many are keen to acknowledge. Kanté has had the benefit of two seasons in the Premier League, now, whilst Bakayoko is not only still finding his feet but also getting back up to speed following his operation. Yet the two of them look as if they've been playing alongside each other for years. I'm more than happy for them to start as a duo or part of a three with Cesc no matter the opposition, no matter the tactics employed by either side.

Bob, I agree with your obsersavtions, I just think at home against the bottom half PL teams for example, I would rather have 3 forwards out there, then 3 central midfielders and 2 forwards. 

Yes, both are better footballers than they are credited for but their physicality, in different way, sets them apart

jangz   

this guy makes any team grow by 20%.. I think he is the best CM in world football today and criminally underrated like most Chelsea players..

On 29/09/2017 at 1:26 PM, Bob Singleton said:

Agree entirely Bob. We look altogether more solid and in control with them both in midfield and we still scored 4 against Albion , a weak team for sure, but still I'd stick with this formation whatever the oppo, exactly as you say.

13 hours ago, jangz said:

this guy makes any team grow by 20%.. I think he is the best CM in world football today and criminally underrated like most Chelsea players..

Wouldn't swap him for anyone else in the world, in any position. 

kev61   
On 19/11/2017 at 10:35 PM, PeteRobbo said:

Agree entirely Bob. We look altogether more solid and in control with them both in midfield and we still scored 4 against Albion , a weak team for sure, but still I'd stick with this formation whatever the oppo, exactly as you say.

Said before many times Kante needed support in midfield.Bakayoko looks like a player that solidifies midfield with his athleticism that in turn allows Hazard and Morata to shine,however his touch is awful - maybe that doesn't matter in the modern game?.

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

Said before many times Kante needed support in midfield.Bakayoko looks like a player that solidifies midfield with his athleticism that in turn allows Hazard and Morata to shine,however his touch is awful - maybe that doesn't matter in the modern game?.

I think it probably does Kev.

I also think that Drinkwater is another possibility as well anyway. Either could fit the requirement of providing the necessary support to Kante, so that Cesc can do his thing unencumbered by defensive responsibilities which he's not suited to.

kev61   
11 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

I think it probably does Kev.

I also think that Drinkwater is another possibility as well anyway. Either could fit the requirement of providing the necessary support to Kante, so that Cesc can do his thing unencumbered by defensive responsibilities which he's not suited to.

Yeah I know Pete sounds ridiculous doesn't it - but there are times when I take a sharp intake when I see these highly paid professionals do the basics wrong on a regular basis.

These intricate playing formations that is in play in the modern game,seems like putting the cart before the horse when a player can't make a pass of 5 yards.What is the training ground for!.The poor souls finish early most days and can get bored!.Keep them on the training ground.The much maligned George Best used to stay late on the training field to work on playing with both feet before he succomed to the booze.