• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign N'Golo Kante

Parry   
Just now, chelsea_matt said:

Totally agree. He was indulged by Martinez who seemed to think that Stones was Alan Hansen, but forgetting that Alan Hansen was also a top-class defender, whose first job was to, um....defend. 

Put Thiago Silva under Martinez and he will be crap.

Under a proper coach who values defending like Koeman, he will be a beast if he stays.

I apologize in advance for the over the top adulation that is about to commence. 

Absolutely phenomenal signing. If there was literally one signing I wanted this summer, it was Kante. I'd been banging on over the past few months about how a midfield of Kante (and Nainggolan) would mean we never lose a midfield battle again. Well, I reckon Kante alone will see to that on most occasions. I never actually thought we could sign him, it was just a pipe dream. I still can't quite believe it. 

I haven't seen a destroyer and box to box machine like him since Essien in his prime. He doesn't have the brute physicality that Essien did, but he has all the athleticism, acceleration, anticipation, and desire that the Ghanian did. He's an absolute menace, sniffing, and searching for the ball at all times. His first step, that little burst to toe poke a ball away is unlike anything I've seen. He can press up and close space in the blink of an eye, and recover as quickly. He intercepts like Carvalho, tackles like Essien, shepherds like Makelele, bursts forward like Hazard, and has the lungs of Lampard. He's at a great age and should see his best years with us. The rest of the league will be envious. 

What a signing.

• Like 1

paulw66   

Not only is this a great signing, it is also a massive statement. 

If you believe reports, Kante had options of going to other clubs with CL football to offer next season, including staying put. 

The fact he chose us, a club in rebuild mode, shows what a big club we have become. I think a lot of people in this country still don't realise quite what size a global club we have become. Players want to play for us, and indeed, play for Conte. 

If you think back to 2003 when RA bought the club, a player like Kante was only 12 years old, so for all of his teenage years as an aspiring player, we were a force both domestically and in Europe. Players of that age only know success when it comes to Chelsea. A lot of our own fans still have inferiority complexes with other clubs because they still remember the dark days of the late 70s and all of the 80s. The younger generation just see a trail of success.

Great news. Hopefully at least a couple more to come. 

GURJ SS   

Kante seems to have been brought to be a sitting ball winner alongside a sitting playmaker, doesn't really make sense to have 2 players occupying the same place for 2 different roles. He needs to be used as a box to box runner, otherwise there's no point in even playing him. He has looked far less dynamic and confused positionally at times. Hope it's just him still settling but I just don't get why he is sitting in front of the defence and his main attributes are being ignored.

On 8/7/2016 at 9:21 PM, GURJ SS said:

Kante seems to have been brought to be a sitting ball winner alongside a sitting playmaker, doesn't really make sense to have 2 players occupying the same place for 2 different roles. He needs to be used as a box to box runner, otherwise there's no point in even playing him. He has looked far less dynamic and confused positionally at times. Hope it's just him still settling but I just don't get why he is sitting in front of the defence and his main attributes are being ignored.

Early days yet, with Conte still figuring out how best to utilize individuals. Even with Kante as the DM (which, agreed doesn't best use his attributes), he still has a bit of freedom to go forward, as long as one or both of the other midfielders drop back to cover the space behind. 

The advantage of Kante in that position is that when we push up and squeeze the opposition into their own half, having him as the one mopping up allows us to commit men forward, knowing that Kante's mobility and tackling ability provides assurance.

I do hope he's moved into a more box to box role in time, with the likes of Mikel or Chalobah assuming the DM role, but Kante will provide positives wherever he plays. 

On 8/7/2016 at 6:21 PM, GURJ SS said:

I don't claim to have watched him much before, but I agree.  Essien/Ramires rather than Makelele.  And someone who  gets to the place by running faster than anyone else rather than through perfect positioning.  Those are my thoughts so far.  And as other have said elsewhere, energy is what we were lacking around the whole pitch last season, so why put a ball and chain on our most mobile player.

xCELERYx   
On 8 August 2016 at 2:21 AM, GURJ SS said:

He was likely purchased to play in the originally desired 424. However, because we've got a trio of midfielders (Oscar, Fabregas and Matic) who are all limited in some capacity of their game, it could mean that Kante's role may now change if we are to indeed adopt a different approach than originally planned.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Kante split the two central defenders at times either, as the two fullbacks push more into midfield, and the two wingers push up along the forward/s. Was flashes of that happening against Bremen and I think we'll see more of it if as our shape changes during games. 

Not his ideal position and it's not really how Conte likes to play, but I think it may just have to be done for the time being. Unless someone like Chalobah really comes into his own and steps into the side.

11 hours ago, zaffo said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Kante split the two central defenders at times either, as the two fullbacks push more into midfield, and the two wingers push up along the forward/s. Was flashes of that happening against Bremen and I think we'll see more of it if as our shape changes during games. 

I suspect that that won't happen and it was more the result of unclear instructions.
In the past we have had 3 methods of the DM covering for an advanced FB.

Maka used his mobility and went wide to replace an FB position, leaving the bigger guys in the middle.
Mikel was big enough to take on any CF so dropped in between allowing one of both CB to go wide.
Matic can't go back anyway so tried to pre-empt the playmaker.

But I think any restriction of Kante is just limiting his use.

Great debut. Covered vast swathes of space, making tackles, interceptions, and little toe pokes that ensured we maintained possession and a constant intensity. Of course, we all knew this. What I didn't know is how tidy a passer he is. Generally makes the right pass, whether it's short or spread wide. 

Yes, I'd prefer him higher up the pitch, but by sitting back and locking down that area it allows the men forward some freedom on the ball knowing there's a terrier behind them cleaning up. 

Still can't believe we have him.