• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign N'Golo Kante

20 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

But on age I disagree.  Someone this dependent on his physical skills is probably peaking right now at 25.  I think Ramires has a lot to offer still, but plenty of people here wanted to write him off 2 years ago at 27  (and I think Ramires was allowed to go because an early mid-season secret bid had gone in for Kante)

Generally I agree, but I think Kante is a special case in that (like Drogba), he only turned pro aged 21. He has, to date, only played 4 seasons of football (this is his fifth), with a measly 185 appearances. Only 13 international appearances as well. 

Age is age, but in terms of mileage, he's just getting started. 

2 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

Generally I agree, but I think Kante is a special case in that (like Drogba), he only turned pro aged 21. He has, to date, only played 4 seasons of football (this is his fifth), with a measly 185 appearances. Only 13 international appearances as well. 

Age is age, but in terms of mileage, he's just getting started. 

Good point about mileage.  Though that means he might go on longer, not that he might get better.

The other big advantage IMO about late developers, is that joints grow normally without the undue stress that a 19 year old first teamer would put them under.  I think that has to be a positive in terms of future injuries.

• Like 1

Well deserved.