Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign N'Golo Kante

88 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I remember having had this discussion with someone last summer and before that even in regards to Pogba. I was always suspicious of his true ability and have never really been that impressed when I've watched him. 

At Juve he had a very specific role and was supported by some top class players throughout. At United he's supposed to be the main man and in that regard the situation is new to him. 

Kante has just swapped Leicester for Chelsea but is essentially doing what he did there. It's less of an adjustment needed for him. 

But my number one players I wanted last summer was Kante and Verratti. Kante we got but I don't think we'll ever manage to get Verratti. A midfield of Kante and Verratti would be absolutely sublime and would hold their own against anyone. 

I said some time ago I'd love Veratti. Absolutely superb player. 

22 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I remember having had this discussion with someone last summer and before that even in regards to Pogba. I was always suspicious of his true ability and have never really been that impressed when I've watched him. 

At Juve he had a very specific role and was supported by some top class players throughout. At United he's supposed to be the main man and in that regard the situation is new to him. 

Kante has just swapped Leicester for Chelsea but is essentially doing what he did there. It's less of an adjustment needed for him. 

But my number one players I wanted last summer was Kante and Verratti. Kante we got but I don't think we'll ever manage to get Verratti. A midfield of Kante and Verratti would be absolutely sublime and would hold their own against anyone. 

He's a very good player, those who've seen him grow at Juventus will confirm this. However, as you said, he was never the main man in midfield and played in a very specific role - as is the case within a Conte system. He had help around him and was more of a support player, opposed to being the man who dictates play and acted as the main outlet, which we all know was Pirlo for the majority of time. 

His play this season at United is reflective of a player who is being utilised in a completely different manner. In a way he's become a square peg in a round hole (not the first player to be under JM). I said from the very beginning he doesn't fit and he'd create more problems. Mourinho is tactically stubborn with his shape - none of which really lend to getting the best out of Pogba. Which is crazy to think after spending £90m and not building around that. Instead, he's been played either in a midfield two and been asked to do more box-to-box work (not his strength), or he's played in behind the striker which can translate to seeing less of the ball and less space to work in. You would think they'd have done more homework and realised all of this. I mean, it was hardly a well kept secret. Which is what really baffles me. 

Verratti would be a excellent addition although I can't see it happening. Not unless he forces a move himself. 

Also LFA POTY and the Trophees UNFP Best French Player Playing Abroad

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Absolutely. Self-effacing modesty from a genuinely great player. 

How common that is in today's game! In today's world for that matter!

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Apart from the way they look, I dont see that many similarities. 

Makelele used to patrol the area in front of the back 4, making crucial tackles and interceptions. Was a brilliant ball player too. Would take passes in horribly difficult positions, control, turn, lay it off. 

Kante is much more of a hunter of the ball, and far more suited to the 2 in CM, rather than Maka who played behind a 2.When Kante played behind 2 CM at the start of the season, I thought he was pretty average as the best bit about his game, the hunting, was being very limited. 

both great players, but very, very different.

37 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Apart from the way they look, I dont see that many similarities. 

Quite - if anything Kante is the new Essien (also very slight, though he didn't look it in the tackle).  Chasing everything down, winning ball after ball, and giving it to Ballack or Lampard to start the next attack.

The thing about Maka is that he rarely actually tackled, just turned the oppo into going the wrong way - often straight into the tackle of someone else in blue.

Still in terms of impact, Kante is at least as good.