Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 AC Milan 1

68 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, jones said:

When Conte went 4-3-3, we were losing control of the game. It gave us more control, and helped us win it. Great to see that we manage to tweak successfully. However, I don't expect this to change our general 4-2-4 approach. Although I see the arguments that 4-3-3 would suit our current squad best. But Conte is trying to build a new Chelsea, not optimize current assets. I also think going 4-3-3 was a way to make sure Kante's debut was successful. A lot easier for him to get that good feeling and build confidence when he has two CMs next him. Had the holding role, made things look very easy. Very Makelele. 

Other observations:

2) Matic was very solid, I would say MoM performance. Kante perhaps more impressive, but his working conditions a lot easier. Fabregas was poor, which further credits Matic' performance as he basically controlled the central midfield alone. Fabregas really looked out of place.

4) You could see when Chalobah came on, that he has a role to play in this team. He has developed into a natural central midfielder. Does everything good, but has few greats. Imo would be very interesting to see him partnered with Kante.

Much like the last 24 months then. The way I see it, Matic has been hung out to dry on so many occassions when paired with Fabregas. He did it very well for a while, but it took it's toll once teams started to get the hang of it. Much like Ivan last seasons. 

We need well-rounded players who can do a bit of everything. At the central of the park that's imperitive if you want to remain competitive. So really agree with your views on Chalobah. If we are to persist with a 442 I can't see Fabregas in it. 

1 hour ago, jones said:

Other observations:

1) Aina was very impressive in the first half,

2) Matic was very solid, I would say MoM performance.

Apologies, I think I may have been watching a different match to you. I thought Matic was terrible. Aside from one pass when he laid it on to Moses (which he couldnt miss) I never felt he was in control. Aina too was not particularly good. Was the first time I've seen him play so was looking forward to that, but man oh man, he wasnt great.

In fact, that first half performance doesnt fill me with confidence. Moses and Willian were dire, Fabregas kept losing the ball, not much service to Costa, Traore poor first touch etc....Second half, Chabolah and Kante were great!

5 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Much like the last 24 months then. The way I see it, Matic has been hung out to dry on so many occassions when paired with Fabregas. He did it very well for a while, but it took it's toll once teams started to get the hang of it. Much like Ivan last seasons. 

We need well-rounded players who can do a bit of everything. At the central of the park that's imperitive if you want to remain competitive. So really agree with your views on Chalobah. If we are to persist with a 442 I can't see Fabregas in it. 

Although I see where you are coming from, I think you are being too categorical.

First of all, Fabregas is a fantastic player with the ball, but have certain limitations without it. A team full of similar players is not optimal. You need different qualities to complement each other. 

When Fabregas' limitations are exposed, it is not only his fault they are. Like I said, the Cahill/Terry partnership are unable to push high up, or at least stay there, so the space around Fabregas is bigger and hence he is more easily exposed. Although Matic did well tonight, Fabregas' ideal partner is Kante as he covers even more ground than Matic.

If we get Koulibaly and when Zouma returns, Fabregas is clearly in our best XI with teammates that much better complement him:

Courtois

Azpi Koulibaly Zouma LB

Willian Fabregas Kante Hazard

Costa Batshuayi

21 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

Apologies, I think I may have been watching a different match to you. I thought Matic was terrible. Aside from one pass when he laid it on to Moses (which he couldnt miss) I never felt he was in control. Aina too was not particularly good. Was the first time I've seen him play so was looking forward to that, but man oh man, he wasnt great.

In fact, that first half performance doesnt fill me with confidence. Moses and Willian were dire, Fabregas kept losing the ball, not much service to Costa, Traore poor first touch etc....Second half, Chabolah and Kante were great!

Aina was far from poor. A few times passes from others (notably Cahill) left him with more to do than should have been necessary, but his positioning was pretty good overall, as was his defending. Further up field he made a nuisance of himself, including out-muscling Niang for the ball on the edge of Milan's penalty area. Unlike our other fullbacks, who over many, many years have taken an age over taking throw ins and often without successfully finding their man, Aina was quick witted. Not just quick witted, though... he is capable of very fast, accurate long throws, such as the one that found Matic in acres of space that led to our first goal.

Is Aina the finished article? Far from it. He still has much to learn (he's only 19 after all, and hardly played last season, not even for the U21s because of the breakdown over his contract renewal). Having said that, however, he is far from the liability you make him out to be. I'd rather him than Ivanovic any day.

3 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

Wasn't able to watch the game (or the last one), so not able to analyse or dissect, but I do have some observations and queries:

3) Batman, once again, replaces Costa. Don't think the two have been partnered together yet, so I don't see that as a combination we're looking to use, at least initially. Makes me question the interest in Lukaku then. Does Conte want to play Costa and Lukaku together?

What interest in Lukaku?

According to yesterday's Daily Mail:

"Though Chelsea remain confident they will take their former player back to Stamford Bridge with an offer of £65million plus Loic Remy, Everton say they have yet to receive any kind of contact — nor do they intend to encourage it. Lukaku has been agitating for a move for most of the summer, frequently speaking about it, but it is Everton’s intention to keep him and they have opened talks about extending his contract, which has three years to run."  [My emphasis, by the way]

The only "interest" in Lukaku is in the press and the various false articles saying we've bid £x but the offer was rejected.

30 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Aina was far from poor. A few times passes from others (notably Cahill) left him with more to do than should have been necessary, but his positioning was pretty good overall, as was his defending. Further up field he made a nuisance of himself, including out-muscling Niang for the ball on the edge of Milan's penalty area. Unlike our other fullbacks, who over many, many years have taken an age over taking throw ins and often without successfully finding their man, Aina was quick witted. Not just quick witted, though... he is capable of very fast, accurate long throws, such as the one that found Matic in acres of space that led to our first goal.

Is Aina the finished article? Far from it. He still has much to learn (he's only 19 after all, and hardly played last season, not even for the U21s because of the breakdown over his contract renewal). Having said that, however, he is far from the liability you make him out to be. I'd rather him than Ivanovic any day.

Agreed. I would say this game was the first real test and first time he was exposed in any manner, however, it was not all one way. He read some situations very well and took up some good positions in defence and made some good challenges. As you say, he is not the finished article and cute experienced players will get the better of him on occasions, but there is definitely more than enough there to be working on and certainly persisting with.

He is in the very least being looked at and considered at present by Conte. It's not your usual 15 mins token cameo offering and I think he has done enough to be strongly considered for West Ham.........my one nagging doubt is who plays up front for West Ham and having a bigger more physical option of Brana at RB might just swing it in his favour for this game.

1 hour ago, jones said:

Although I see where you are coming from, I think you are being too categorical.

First of all, Fabregas is a fantastic player with the ball, but have certain limitations without it. A team full of similar players is not optimal. You need different qualities to complement each other. 

When Fabregas' limitations are exposed, it is not only his fault they are. Like I said, the Cahill/Terry partnership are unable to push high up, or at least stay there, so the space around Fabregas is bigger and hence he is more easily exposed. Although Matic did well tonight, Fabregas' ideal partner is Kante as he covers even more ground than Matic.

If we get Koulibaly and when Zouma returns, Fabregas is clearly in our best XI with teammates that much better complement him:

Courtois

Azpi Koulibaly Zouma LB

Willian Fabregas Kante Hazard

Costa Batshuayi

Although I see your point, I still think that Fabregas weakness in the middle will be exposed and his ability on the ball has not been what it was for the last 18 months. 

Of course, if he plays like he did his first six months here it's a different ball game alltogether. But I do not harbour much hope of that happening - his physical limitations will only go one way from here imo. Down.

The rest of the starting XI looks good though. At least on paper.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Given Matic's physical limitations, the question is not whether he could defend in the time before everyone realised he no longer can, but why anyone could have believed the hype that he did.

1 hour ago, Diddymen said:

Apologies, I think I may have been watching a different match to you. I thought Matic was terrible.

I thought it was one of his better games, but then he was not under a lot of pressure.  7th in Serie A is a long way short of being 10th in the PL.  Milan are going through a rough time, and I suspect had more kids padding out the team that we did, especially 2nd half when we mostly strengthened with each replacement.

Aina looks like he may be a player in 2 or 3 years, but not this season.  Milan had most of their play down our right hand side, as did Liverpool and RM, and as did most of the PL last season.  So I don't want to criticise the RB for being in the wrong position (that is RB , not CB or LB), whether it is Ivanovic or Aina.   More interesting is trying to understand just what happened tactically last season, because I feel pretty sure that Hazard and Willian protected the FBs back in 14/15, but the CMs were given the main role from the start of last season.
Ivanovic came on and had two beautifully timed runs on the outside of Cuadrado.  The first followed with an outrageously overhit cross, the 2nd with a beautiful clip to give batt a great chance.

Aina/RLC/Traore - earning a place or just standing in till the big boys arrive?

There is a view that the above have been proving their worth and are now full members of the squad.  I doubt this and put forward an alternative view.
Conte went into these games knowing full well he was short of players and in particularly that many of the future senior 20 players couldn't play at all, or couldn't play more than 45 mins (esp given the 3 sessions training a day).   Indeed he only had 3 senior defenders available, and no strikers (Hazard, Costa and Batty playing bit parts only,  hopefully one or 2 FBs will be bought soon).

So in giving Aina/RLC/Traore full 90 min roles he also cut their training regime to allow them to play at their best and not let the team down.  
Which would mean:  the three have more training to do, and won't be at their PL best until September; They are stand-ins, not competing on a par with the others; Some of the less present players may well have been training heavily in preparation for the PL start; Another Striker and FB may well be bought soon.

Of the three, Aina has done well but this is too early for him.  Traore did OK, enough to keep but not promote, RLC is underwater right now, lets hope he doesn't drown.  

Chalobah has had fewer minutes than those but impressed much more.  By my analysis that would imply he is much closer to the first team than the others.  But it may just be that Conte saw little point in pulling a CM out of full training when he has choices there already.

26 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Given Matic's physical limitations, the question is not whether he could defend in the time before everyone realised he no longer can, but why anyone could have believed the hype that he did.

I thought it was one of his better games, but then he was not under a lot of pressure.  7th in Serie A is a long way short of being 10th in the PL.  Milan are going through a rough time, and I suspect had more kids padding out the team that we did, especially 2nd half when we mostly strengthened with each replacement.

Aina looks like he may be a player in 2 or 3 years, but not this season.  Milan had most of their play down our right hand side, as did Liverpool and RM, and as did most of the PL last season.  So I don't want to criticise the RB for being in the wrong position (that is RB , not CB or LB), whether it is Ivanovic or Aina.   More interesting is trying to understand just what happened tactically last season, because I feel pretty sure that Hazard and Willian protected the FBs back in 14/15, but the CMs were given the main role from the start of last season.
Ivanovic came on and had two beautifully timed runs on the outside of Cuadrado.  The first followed with an outrageously overhit cross, the 2nd with a beautiful clip to give batt a great chance.

Aina/RLC/Traore - earning a place or just standing in till the big boys arrive?

There is a view that the above have been proving their worth and are now full members of the squad.  I doubt this and put forward an alternative view.
Conte went into these games knowing full well he was short of players and in particularly that many of the future senior 20 players couldn't play at all, or couldn't play more than 45 mins (esp given the 3 sessions training a day).   Indeed he only had 3 senior defenders available, and no strikers (Hazard, Costa and Batty playing bit parts only,  hopefully one or 2 FBs will be bought soon).

So in giving Aina/RLC/Traore full 90 min roles he also cut their training regime to allow them to play at their best and not let the team down.  
Which would mean:  the three have more training to do, and won't be at their PL best until September; They are stand-ins, not competing on a par with the others; Some of the less present players may well have been training heavily in preparation for the PL start; Another Striker and FB may well be bought soon.

Of the three, Aina has done well but this is too early for him.  Traore did OK, enough to keep but not promote, RLC is underwater right now, lets hope he doesn't drown.  

Chalobah has had fewer minutes than those but impressed much more.  By my analysis that would imply he is much closer to the first team than the others.  But it may just be that Conte saw little point in pulling a CM out of full training when he has choices there already.

I would suggest your over thinking things by quite a way. Surely a higher standard of fitness is gained by playing games, as such, Traore has played many more minutes than Chalobah , as an example.

15 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

I would suggest your over thinking things by quite a way. Surely a higher standard of fitness is gained by playing games, as such, Traore has played many more minutes than Chalobah , as an example.

Actually I doubt Droy is over-thinking... lack of thought is what defines the vast majority of his 19,000+ posts (the sheer quantity is evidence that he hits the keyboard long before he engages his brain, otherwise he wouldn't be quite so prolific).