Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Droy was my hero

Books You've Enjoyed Or Would Recommend 2

11 posts in this topic

(I'd much rather continue the old topic, but it has been archived and only page 1 can be read).

The Robert Harris Trilogy on Cicero:  Book 3 Dictator came out last year and I read it just recently.  Have to say the first two are the best, but once you have read them you'll read book 3 whatever I say.

Did I mention Dead Air by Iain Banks in the old thread.  Should have done.

Iain Banks. What a loss to literature. Have read most of Iain Banks books and all of his Iain M Banks stories. Unlike other authors he doesn't seem to just have a story to tell (beginning, middle,end) but seems to find a slice of someone's life and writes what happens, doesn't need to end it but leaves you knowing that life goes on after he's stopped writing if that makes any sense. 

Probably not ;-)

I don't normally read sci-fi, but now that he is dead and not going to burden me with reading any further non-sci books (2 or 3 to go), I might try it - what do you suggest.

Quarry I just read, no story really, more of an anti-climax, but a very entertaining story as told by a teen with mild Aspergers.  Full of meta cognition - and very very similar to the conversations I have been having with a similar teen over the past couple of years  (and no I don't mean a certain poster on here).

Dead Air has a story and a great one.  So does Complicity.  And the Wasp Factory has a great ending at least.

For a rip roaring "historical" read might I suggest the Warlord trilogy by Bernard Cornwall , based loosely on Arthurian legend , it tells the Story of Derwal , a spearman in Arthur's shield wall.

Truly an excellent read.

If you like that kind of thing.

Loved all the Iain M Banks Culture books. I never got on with the Wasp Factory and so avoided the other Iain (no M) Banks things. Maybe I should give it another go. Henning Mankell, Steig Larson. We are living through a brilliant period for Scandinavian crime novels. Not so keen on the one Jo Nesbo I have read so far (The Leopard). Also recently AS Byatt, Kazuo Ishiguro and Umberto Eco.

12 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

never got on with the Wasp Factory and so avoided the other Iain (no M) Banks things.

Shame - I thought it was excellent though it was a long time ago I read it.  But it is one where you have to get to the end to understand most of it, which in turn probably means best read quickly.  His first book.

Loved Steig Larson, though felt uncomfortable with all the "I'm a big feminist so that justifies all the great sex I am getting with mid-aged women, young vulnerable girls, and the open relationship I have with my boss".  
Has anyone read book 4 - the follow up by another author - any good?

Elmore Leonard - another guy who died in 2013 and used to write as fast as I could read them.  Wonderful - read like scripts to Hollywood crime films, and often become them.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

For a rip roaring "historical" read might I suggest the Warlord trilogy by Bernard Cornwall , based loosely on Arthurian legend , it tells the Story of Derwal , a spearman in Arthur's shield wall.

The Sharpe author.  Maybe when I have finished the last 15 books in the 20 book Patrick O'Brien series  :)
Robert Graves wrote more than just the Claudius books and poetry.  I highly recommend Count Belisarius (life of a Roman General) and Seargeant Lamb of the 9th, a British soldier in the US revolution.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Polished off O'Brien's 21 Aubrey-Maturin series a few years ago, and re-read them several times before enjoying everything written by Bernard Cornwell (particularly the Warlord series), George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman series (solider and rogue), and Allan Mallinson's Matthew Hervey series (cavalryman - he's an ex-Brigadier and reading his books - fact as well as fiction - is well worth the effort). John Biggins' Otto Prohaska series (about an Austrian submariner) is excellent, albeit increasingly dark as the hero ages. For light relief , still in a military vein, try Naomi Novik's fantasy about what might have happened if the Napoleonic wars had included an air force - of dragons. Very droll.

Crime? Death and the Penguin by Andrey Kurkov is a great read, and don't forget Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Hoeg. I'd avoid his "The Woman and the Ape", which unfortunately turns out to be precisely what I feared it to be about.

I enjoyed the Jack Reacher books. Thought it was hilarious to find Tom Cruise was playing the lead character in the film.

Agreed, Its ridiculous for Tom Cruise to play the part. Reacher is 15st big guy with muscles not a little bloke like Cruise.

1 person likes this

I've started to read the 2nd book, Royal Flash, in the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. Flashman was the charcter in Tom Brown's Schooldays,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flashman-Papers-George-MacDonald-Fraser/dp/0006511252

Next buy is the new book by Simon Scarrow in the Cato/Macro series set during the Roman Empire. Another cracking series.