• Current Donation Goals

Droy was my hero

Books You've Enjoyed Or Would Recommend 2

Jasonb   

Not read much historical fiction though did read David Gemmell and his book Legend (fiction) and then his series on Troy. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Sciatika   

Just reading "Veni, Vidi, Vici" by Alexandra Churchill (aka The Girl Who Likes Balls). Its the story of the 16-17 title-winning season through the eyes of a fan. Much of the content comes from her blog but there's other stuff too. I don't always agree with her. For example, I am really not sure which player has the best backside. But love her enthusiasm especailly when she is havng a go at the opposition. I wonder how much an 11 shirt with "Pesto" on the back would be?

Got pesto on the back of one of my shirts, Sciatika - my fault for eating in a trendy restaurant, I suppose. Won't wash out, so you can have it for a fiver.

Just read "We Do Things Differently: The Outsiders Rebooting Our World Paperback" by Mark Stevenson. synopsis is "Our systems are failing. Old models - for education, healthcare and government, food production, energy supply - are creaking under the weight of modern challenges. As the world's population heads towards 10 billion, it's clear we need new approaches. Futurologist Mark Stevenson sets out to find them, across four continents." Interesting new take on old problems. Found it quite inspiring.

Ham   
52 minutes ago, blue moon said:

Got pesto on the back of one of my shirts, 

Getting "Champions 17" on back of mine but each to his own. 

Vinod   

Highly recommend 'A Civil Action' by Jonathan Harr and 'Black Hawk Down' by Mark Bowden. Both books have been subsequently made into movies.

Zoowraa   

Recently finished Nutshell by Ian McEwan which is an alternative take on Hamlet from position of an unborn foetus. Sounds ridiculous and it is really, but it don't pretend to be anything else and is a very enjoyable read.

For music fans - Enjoyed Riots, Raves and Running a Label which is tales from Alan Mghee running Creation Records. Also about three quarters of the way through The Big Midweek which recalls Steve Hanley's 20 years as bassist in The Fall. That is also very good read so far. You don't have to be a fan of the band to enjoy the book.

4 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

Recently finished Nutshell by Ian McEwan which is an alternative take on Hamlet from position of an unborn foetus. Sounds ridiculous and it is really, but it don't pretend to be anything else and is a very enjoyable read.

Oh.  I think that is 12 Ian McEwan books and 2 collections of short stories and this is the very first I didn't enjoy immensely.
Probably knowing Hamlet might have helped, but it seemed crammed with clever literary in-jokes which I just wanted to skim over.

But Sweet Tooth I loved.  Funny, characters you can care about, very very topical and very  very clever.

Just read (The Amazing Adventures of) Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon.
Very funny, very sad, very good (but long).

Edited by Droy was my hero

The past year or so I have been working my way through Karin Slaughter's 'Will Trent Series'. An excellent crime thriller series, very gritty, great characterisation and very well written. The first in the series 'Triptych' is especially good, they are set in Atlanta, Georgia.

Also recently read 'The Exorcist' which I have been meaning to you for years, really enjoyed it.

Zoowraa   
58 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Oh.  I think that is 12 Ian McEwan books and 2 collections of short stories and this is the very first I didn't enjoy immensely.
Probably knowing Hamlet might have helped, but it seemed crammed with clever literary in-jokes which I just wanted to skim over.

But Sweet Tooth I loved.  Funny, characters you can care about, very very topical and very  very clever.

Just read (The Amazing Adventures of) Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon.
Very funny, very sad, very good (but long).

Sweet Tooth and Amsterdam are sat on my shelf , I'm waiting to get around to them sometime soon.

"A Dying Breed" by Peter Hanington. First novel. Formerly worked on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme, mainly on stories from Afghanistan, Iraq etc., and this book is mostly set there. The main character is a world-weary BBC foreign affairs correspondent on his last assignment before taking a 'voluntary redundancy' that he's not all too keen to take, who stumbles across shady dealings between the British and Afghan governments that everyone would like kept quiet.

Once I started reading it I honestly couldn't put it down; I was desperate to get to the final denouement.

Edited by Bob Singleton