• Current Donation Goals

Droy was my hero

Books You've Enjoyed Or Would Recommend 2

Sea foot   

Sat through the hurricane on Monday and have been without electricity for a day (on and off all week), water for 2 days and no internet until now. Still, had a good excuse to re-read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Wonderful. Just started to re-read American Gods. Always find something new every time I read his books. Wish I could say the same about this site, I'm just about to jump in and catch up with a weeks worth of CFCnet. Wish me luck.😬

15 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Sat through the hurricane on Monday and have been without electricity for a day (on and off all week), water for 2 days and no internet until now. Still, had a good excuse to re-read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Wonderful. Just started to re-read American Gods. Always find something new every time I read his books. Wish I could say the same about this site, I'm just about to jump in and catch up with a weeks worth of CFCnet. Wish me luck.😬

Read both , both different , both excellent , just finished the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb , excellent fantasy recommended for fans of George RR Martin.

On 15/09/2017 at 3:10 PM, Bob Singleton said:

"A Dying Breed" by Peter Hanington. First novel. Formerly worked on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme, mainly on stories from Afghanistan, Iraq etc., and this book is mostly set there. The main character is a world-weary BBC foreign affairs correspondent on his last assignment before taking a 'voluntary redundancy' that he's not all too keen to take, who stumbles across shady dealings between the British and Afghan governments that everyone would like kept quiet.

Once I started reading it I honestly couldn't put it down; I was desperate to get to the final denouement.

Thanks for the recommendation, Bob, best page turner for a while. 

1 hour ago, blue moon said:

Thanks for the recommendation, Bob, best page turner for a while. 

Glad you enjoyed it.

13 hours ago, Brian Mcculloch Glasgow said:

I loved reading "The Kite Runner". Amazing I would say.

Yes very good.  I saw the stage version recently, which was just about OK.  But book and follow up by Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Setting Suns were excellent.  The first is a story about males, fathers and sons.  The second very much a female viewpoint.

But one warning, the version of Taliban Afghanistan it presents is very much a modern US stereo type of what we are supposed to understand.  Not the much messier reality.  Charlie Wilson's War and anything about the Drug trade tells you a much fuller story.

On 04/11/2017 at 1:04 AM, Droy was my hero said:

Yes very good.  I saw the stage version recently, which was just about OK.  But book and follow up by Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Setting Suns were excellent.  The first is a story about males, fathers and sons.  The second very much a female viewpoint.

But one warning, the version of Taliban Afghanistan it presents is very much a modern US stereo type of what we are supposed to understand.  Not the much messier reality.  Charlie Wilson's War and anything about the Drug trade tells you a much fuller story.

Yes, absolutely agree with you.