Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 West Ham 1

300 posts in this topic

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our first Premier League match of the 2016/17 season against West Ham at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account. The Mods will be keeping an eye on things, so let's keep it intelligent.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00, Monday 15th August, 2016 (UK time/date).

Going to be a long week ahead waiting for this! 

I think the starting 11 will be the one that started today, with the only possible exception being Fabregas for Oscar.

Our midfield really needs to work on how they protect the defence, particularly down our right hand side, as this seems to be where a lot of the goals come from. 

Based on what I've seen so far in pre-season, the team I'd start would be this:

…………Courtois………

Aina.....Cahill....JT.....Azpi

Chalobah...Kante....Cesc

Willian....Costa.....Hazard

Oscar on the bench ready to take Nate's place if we need a goal, and same with  Cuadrado / Moses for Willian if he isn't better than the last few games.

I would like to see Chalobah in the prem definitely. Probably one of the only ways we can afford to play Fabregas too, at least against good teams.

Ivanovic and Matic will start though. 

Courtois

Ivanovic Cahill Terry Azpi

Kante

Willian Matic Oscar Hazard

Costa

Not particularly the squad I want to start, but I'm sure this will be it.

Really not a fan of Monday night games , even more so on first weekend. It's worse this year as in Dublin on Monday to watch Mastodon so will miss the game .

I'm worried on this game. West Ham are probably ahead of all the PL teams so far after having a couple of competitive games. Carroll does seem to create problems for us too, hoping he might pick up a knock this week.

can't remember the last occasion we lost on the opening day ? 

Amazing that with the exception of Kante, we're looking at starting pretty much the same team as last year. The same team that finished 10th. Really expected a much different line-up but now we're probably looking at:

Courtois

Ivan (laughable) Cahill (how?) JT(love JT, but his performances last year may have been an indication he's not a first-choice CB anymore) Azpi

Kante Matic(possibly the sloppiest/worse player from last year) Fabregas

Willian Costa Hazard 

The back 5 really don't give me a lot of confidence that we'll be much better this season, even though I do believe in Conte & he will have some sort of impact on them. Very disappointing and quite honestly, a failure of a transfer window. 

Lot of whinging about the players that got pushed out on to the pitch last season when no one else was available.  

Funnily enough the best reason last season for continuing with Ivanovic was the £20m or so FB we had just bought.  My guess is the FB we will certainly buy (well certainly I hope) soon will not succeed in removing Ivanovic, but just get branded immediately as "worse than Ivanovic".  

No matter how good Oscar has been for 2 games, I can't ever see Fabregas being dropped on merit.  He just creates so much, and assuming that we still have a few beancounters going through the videos, I'm sure that Conte knows that.

12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Lot of whinging about the players that got pushed out on to the pitch last season when no one else was available.  

Funnily enough the best reason last season for continuing with Ivanovic was the £20m or so FB we had just bought.  My guess is the FB we will certainly buy (well certainly I hope) soon will not succeed in removing Ivanovic, but just get branded immediately as "worse than Ivanovic".  

No matter how good Oscar has been for 2 games, I can't ever see Fabregas being dropped on merit.  He just creates so much, and assuming that we still have a few beancounters going through the videos, I'm sure that Conte knows that.

Maybe Willian will be dropped

2 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

can't remember the last occasion we lost on the opening day ? 

1998-99 against Coventry I think.

Not feeling it for next Monday. West Ham hasn't pulled up any trees this window and hasn't really made any signings worth mentioning despite being so, so, so rich. 

Their starting XI could be something like:

Adrian; Antonio, Ogbonna, Reid, Cresswell; Noble, Kouyate, Nordtveit; Payet, Carroll, Valencia

Hardly an XI that will make you lose sleep at night be we are so vulnerable against quick players and transitions that really anything can happen...

I suppose we will line up with:

Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Kanté, Matic, Fabregas; Willian, Costa, Hazard

I'd be happy with a point...