Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 West Ham 1

300 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I'd be happy with a point...

This. Especially now they've bought Ayew.

Odds on Cahill/Ivanovic getting targeted within the first 5 mins....?

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

1998-99 against Coventry I think.

Jeez was it that long ago. I was at that game as lived in Coventry at the time during my late teens, we had some crazy games at Highfield Road. I seem to remember we got them first game again either season after or before and think we lost that one too. I remember a cracking 2-2 there also where to goals came within minutes of each other.

Edited by Zoowraa

Still hope to see 2 up front for this. Watched the West Ham v Juventus game and two forwards just changes the whole dynamic for defenders to deal with and creates so much more space in that final third.

11 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not feeling it for next Monday. West Ham hasn't pulled up any trees this window and hasn't really made any signings worth mentioning despite being so, so, so rich. 

Their starting XI could be something like:

Adrian; Antonio, Ogbonna, Reid, Cresswell; Noble, Kouyate, Nordtveit; Payet, Carroll, Valencia

Hardly an XI that will make you lose sleep at night be we are so vulnerable against quick players and transitions that really anything can happen...

I suppose we will line up with:

Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Kanté, Matic, Fabregas; Willian, Costa, Hazard

I'd be happy with a point...

Carroll is capable of giving Cahill nightmares. 

5 hours ago, zaffo said:

Still hope to see 2 up front for this. Watched the West Ham v Juventus game and two forwards just changes the whole dynamic for defenders to deal with and creates so much more space in that final third.

Doubt Conte's reverting to the 442/424 again. And even if he does, it would be Traore and Costa, seeing as Michy and Diego haven't played together at all for the entire pre-season.

It'll be the 433/4141 that we've seen of late. The only question is Oscar or Fabregas. Oscar's mobility and 3 goals in 2 games might swing it his way, but Cesc does offer so much on the ball. Interesting to see who Conte goes with.

As for West Ham, they're going to make it very physical, very stop start. They'll foul with impunity all over the pitch, and have the attacking options to cause real problems. Should be goals in this one.

24 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

. They'll foul with impunity all over the pitch,

That's what the officials allow against us every week.

I'd put it down to Mourinho but they'll be too scared of him at United.

Edited by Mark Kelly

Read an interesting post on Pedro on reddit. 

A 2 striker combination with Pedro and Costa would be quite interesting. 

One of those opening fixtures that has tricky written all over it, London derby monday night and a team that were a little unfortunate not to win at the bridge near the end of last season. I have a feeling it could be a repeat result 2-2 despite the addition of Kante to stop them slicing us open through midfield.

9 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

Doubt Conte's reverting to the 442/424 again. And even if he does, it would be Traore and Costa, seeing as Michy and Diego haven't played together at all for the entire pre-season.

It'll be the 433/4141 that we've seen of late. The only question is Oscar or Fabregas. Oscar's mobility and 3 goals in 2 games might swing it his way, but Cesc does offer so much on the ball. Interesting to see who Conte goes with.

As for West Ham, they're going to make it very physical, very stop start. They'll foul with impunity all over the pitch, and have the attacking options to cause real problems. Should be goals in this one.

I think you are right that we will see 4-3-3. No doubt 4-2-4 is Conte's aim. But right now we are stacked with viable options in CM, and not as much in attack. 

There will be a lot of fouls from West Ham, very physical indeed. Of absolute importance that we manage to retain the ball. Fabregas in this one over Oscar, no doubt. Ever seen Oscar bossing a game like this?

I really, really want to see Chalobah play in the holding role, but of course that is not going to happen. Chalobah with Kante and Fabregas in front of him is the best we can do imo, but it seems inevitable that Matic will start. Has been decent in pre-season and played a lot of minutes. Problem is we don't get to use Kante enough if he is holding. And no way should Matic play there.

I think I will cry if I see the same defence against West Ham as we had last season....