• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: David Luiz Joins Arsenal

cam4blue   

Somewhat baffled by this signing TBH. 

I desperately wanted to like Luiz first time round; he had so much talent, so much potential, and he's such a great character. You kept thinking he would put it all together and become a really top player, but he never did. He was the same when he left as when he arrived. The same moments of brilliance, and the same basic (and sometimes bizarre) errors. 

I sincerely hope he has improved during his time at PSG, but it worries me that a manager as astute as Emery has seemingly taken one look at him and said "not for me". 

He's in blue, he gets my support. Preconceptions go out the window and you judge him on what he does. But my instinct is that we're making a mistake, and we of all teams should know better. Genuinely hoping to be proven wrong. 

I was never his biggest fan first time around, and I'm sure he'll have me tearing my hair out more than once this season. With Zouma still some way from being ready to start a game, let alone play 90 minutes, we needed someone for the centre of defence. With all our primary targets not for sale, and time running out...

However, looking on the positives: firstly there are 8 players in the squad who were around last time he was here; most importantly Azpilicueta, Terry, Cahill and Ivanovic. It won't take them long to get used to each other again, on the pitch. Secondly, it seems he wanted to come back as he felt there was 'unfinished business'. Hopefully that means we see all the passion that was on offer first time around. He is a leader, and in a squad depleted of such players, we should welcome him for that alone. For all his faults (and on a bad day there are many, but on a good day very few), he is a player who can pass from the back, or carry the ball forward to quickly turn defence into attack. As a proactive defender, we know he will at times leave gaping holes in the defence behind him, but we now have one of the most intelligent and capable defensive midfielders in the world with Kanté... a far cry from when Ramires and/or Mikel were doing that job in front of him 3 years ago. We know, both in our favour and to our cost, that he can score goals; headers at corners, thunderous free kicks or cannonballs from outside of the area in open play. Finally, he gives us the versatility to play 3 at the back if we need to, or to offer a more mobile alternative to Matic in midfield against certain sides were such attributes would be beneficial.

Fingers are crossed we see far more good than bad.

Edited by Bob Singleton

I see that he's now sporting a rackish black bandana......given that he defends like he's already got a wooden leg, all he needs now is an eye-patch and a parrot.

This is the definition of 'panic buy'. In saying that, I really hope that he proves me wrong.

xCELERYx   
2 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

This is the definition of 'panic buy'. In saying that, I really hope that he proves me wrong.

Disagree completely. 

Sure, he wasn't first choice on the list and that's most likely because who expects to be able to resign a player the club sold for £50m just two years ago? However, when he expressed an interest in returning it's sort of a no brainer deal to make when we simply weren't going to be able to obtain our original targets. At 29, he's at his peak and for a reasonable price given the overall market. Certainly better value than Stones, and at over half the cost of Koulibaly. For the price of either, we've been able to sign two players in positions we needed.

As for Luiz himself, his addition ticks many boxes. Firstly, he's a ball-playing defender that Conte enjoys to utilise and we seemingly were chasing. One that is very comfortable on the ball, familiar with the EPL and the club, so minimal time to settle will be needed. He (along w/ Alonso) provides Conte with the tactical flexibility to play 352 if desired or the 424 originally intended, plus anything else in between. With Conte liking his sides to break quickly on the counter, Luiz's ability get in front of his man to make an interception and then take the ball forward seamlessly is a huge advantage and something currently lacking. 

People will (and have) been quick to point out his liability in defending, but the same can be said of other similar players; including quality ones like Bonucci who've I've seen make a meal of situations over the years. That's the nature of these sort of defenders, they take risks in the hope that they can then reward the team down the other end of the pitch. Sure, he needs to be smarter at times, but that's manageable under a manager who knows how to utilise such a player. That's not to say Luiz is going to be error-less, he'll make mistakes. But I can live with that, and did the first time around because I saw his value in other areas. 

We've finally got the type of player that fits the profile Conte desired. Regardless if he was first choice or not, the key attributes remain the same. Now it's just a matter of seeing what unfolds. Looking forward to seeing him back in the blue of Chelsea and being a much needed enthusiastic passionate leader on the pitch once more.

58 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I see that he's now sporting a rackish black bandana......given that he defends like he's already got a wooden leg, all he needs now is an eye-patch and a parrot.

That's what I'm hoping too. Has any last day panic buy worked for us ?

kev61   

On his signing my head said a massive no - my heart says yes,not a massive yes but at least you will know he is there on the pitch.I suppose it depends on your standpoint as a fan.Results are not everything to me,very important of course - but I like to be entertained as well.Is that too much to expect from players that earn in a week that the average worker earns in a year? and in some cases earns as much in a week than the average worker earns in a decade!.

Imo we have the two best signings in Conte and Kante that will overshadow Pogba and all the rest of the silly money thrown at average players.

3 hours ago, zaffo said:

Disagree completely.

That you disagree isn't exactly a surprise (see: Falcao and 'The Duck' as other glaring examples).

The problem(s) you overlook with our friend Luiz, is the sad fact that despite the winnning smile, the great perm, the geezer tweets, and (very) occasional great goal/inspiring intercept (which we all can enjoy/acknowledge), he simply can't do the job he's paid to do at an acceptable level, i.e., defend. He has no positional sense, not the first clue how to mark an opponent, and even at his age now, still can barely head a ball in his own area. As a defender, Luiz is a clod. That's why we wanted shot of him, and why he fell down the pecking order at PSG - Oh how we all laughed when we stung them for 50mill!! Oh how they're laughing right back at us now [35 mill :(.]. He hasn't improved since leaving Chelsea, he's gone backwards.

We clearly bought Luiz because we ran out of both time and inspiration. we were desperate to sign someone. That much is blindingly obvious, because if we had actually wanted him/targetted him, then we'd have done the business week's ago (he was clearly available), instead of chasing every top-notch, then decent, and then even half-decent CB in Europe up to the window's last couple of days. Laughing stock we are. Quack, quack.