• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: David Luiz Joins Arsenal

11 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

"My cycle finished there" sounds a lot like he was told he wasn't needed. Someone said earlier we would take the quotes asgospel but, honestly which chelsea player would consider an arsenal transfer an upward career move?

Anyone with 2 years of career left would consider Arsenal an upward move.

I think this a Bosingwa type job - send Luiz to one of our rivals and see him look fantastic against teams that Arsenal beat normally anyway but do nothing to help them achieve the consistency they need to threaten the top 4.

Good luck, Agent Luiz.

28 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Given we finished above them in the league and beat them in the Europa League final, you really are twisting logic to find its breaking point, aren't you? Trust you to come up with such nonsense!

3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Given we finished above them in the league and beat them in the Europa League final, you really are twisting logic to find its breaking point, aren't you? Trust you to come up with such nonsense!

Is that a grumpy way of saying you think Arsenal will finish below Chelsea this season and next?  I wish you and Chelsea good luck with that.

Something stinks about this deal. This is a guy who featured prominently in pre-season and about 2 or 3 weeks ago was speaking very positively about the season.

And having signed a deal recently, seems pretty clear that he was in the plans. It could have only been a falling out with Lampard IMO. 

But its for the better... SFL, even if he initially wanted him, would have regretted depending on him in a back 4. 

Obviously the suddenness is a bit startling, but overall this is very good business IMO. Rudiger, Zouma and even Christensen should be fine as cover and Azpili and Alonso can play there in emergency. Plus, next summer in any case we would have wanted to move on from him.

I can't help but think that Luiz has an attitude problem. I mean, fell out with Conte, moved on by PSG, Mourinho, and Lampard.... Cherished players in the dressing room, more often than not, are mostly valued universally by managers. You think of the likes of Terry, Lamps, DD, Cech, Cole - you can find the occasional manager who may have had a problem but, more often than not, you KNEW that they were going to be key components of the team. 

kev61   

A massively overrated centre back and a flake - I would have liked to have see him in midfield - seriously no big loss another player that thinks he is better than he actually is.

I’m not bothered in the least by him moving to Arsenal. Couldn’t care less about the fee of £8m either. In my world we are saving ourselves his wages and the kamikaze defensive errors we all know he’s capable of basically every game. 

He wont weaken us much and isn’t the answer to Arsenal’s problems. I reckon Christensen, Rudiger and Zouma are all better defenders than Luiz anyway. I don’t see the problem in losing his “leadership qualities” either. Luiz isn’t a leading CB who you build your defender around, he’s the player you use to fill out an already solid defense. 

By the way, Christensen has posted this on his Facebook page;

”No player is bigger than the club”

I reckon he fell out with Lamps after hearing he was behind at least two other CBs in the squad. 

No loss, we save a lot of money that would have been sitting on our bench and we transfer the problem to Arsenal. Well done to the club. 

All this talk of Luiz throwing his toys out of the pram... What if it wasn't him? What if Zouma or Christensen had worried about playing time and pushed the matter and we were forced to pick? Luiz could well be collateral damage here. Certainly I'd interpret the club sanctioning an unpopular move to Arsenal as a sign of good will. 

Not asserting this is what happened, just thinking aloud. So much we don't know, yet such basic black and white assumptions being made. 

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

9 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Or you are deliberately missing the obvious point to drag out a tedious personal battle. Leaving a 3rd placed EL winning team where you seem to have lost your place to join a 5th placed EL runner up where you'll be first pick at the age of 32 would be a pretty positive move for any player. At least if we make the, I think reasonable, assumption that they want to end their career playing football. Most players of that age would need to take a much bigger hit to their wages and risk to their reputation to get regular playing time. 

Edited by thevelourfog

chelboy   

Something happened behind the scenes. Eventually we will start to get more pieces of what happened. The fact we took such a low price and did not really negotiate with Arsenal to increase it shows we seemed desperate to sell him asap. I don’t think he was always 4th choice CB, something  probably happened that made him become that low in the pecking order. No one has said anything to him on social media either. Press conference will be interesting today.