• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Arsenal 3 Chelsea 0

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Arsenal at The Emirates, before, during and after the game.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account. The Mods will be keeping an eye on things, so let's keep it intelligent.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 17:30, Saturday 24th September, 2016 (UK time/date).

57 minutes ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

Courtois

Azpi Cahill JT Alonso

Kante Oscar Fabregas

Moses Costa Hazard

Couple of obvious differences for me. However, I think that Conte will revert to a Ivanovic-Cahill-Terry-Azpilicueta back 4, with Willian in place of Moses (because we have to 'protect' Ivanovic!)..

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Couple of obvious differences for me. However, I think that Conte will revert to a Ivanovic-Cahill-Terry-Azpilicueta back 4, with Willian in place of Moses (because we have to 'protect' Ivanovic!)..

protect Ivanovic or protect Azpi.  Last season he looked just as vulnerable at RB.

Generally Ivanovic has looked good this season.  I wonder if there is not a reason for this.  Perhaps the FBs are now getting additional protection from the CBs on their side which they didn't get under Mourinho or Hiddink,  The flip side being that we are more often outnumbered in the middle if a cross comes in.  Just a theory at present, but I do feel sure that there were some significant tactical changes between 14/15 & 15/16 and again this summer.

6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

protect Ivanovic or protect Azpi.  Last season he looked just as vulnerable at RB.

Generally Ivanovic has looked good this season.  I wonder if there is not a reason for this.  Perhaps the FBs are now getting additional protection from the CBs on their side which they didn't get under Mourinho or Hiddink, 

Personally, nothing much regards Ivanovic's performances this season have changed for me.

Very few teams are playing with an out-and-out winger - think Jefferson Montero for Swansea last season. Ivanovic never awoke from the nightmares given to him by Montero. Ivanovic is also benefiting from the three man shield the back four often has in front of it. 

He still struggles to defend/stop the cross, he gets tucked in too tight to his centre-half (look at the Watford goal this season) and lacks pace over the first 5-10 yards, especially when defending sideways on to his opponent when being taken on from a standing/almost standing start.

His attacking play is still as it was and he's now wanting a steadying/extra touch prior to almost every cross he does hit, allowing the block from the defender. A shame because his best crossing is when he doesn't take the touch and gets his cross in early.

I would target his replacement as one of the more urgent priorities.

I still think he'll get selected for this game as our options are not strong enough to displace him, as yet. Arsenal are, in my opinion, vulnerable in the air from set pieces and Ivanovic does still pose a threat aerially at attacking set pieces. I think Wenger will set up his side to attack us down our r/h/s, Hazard and Willian have been providing Costa with the first line of support, aided by Oscar.

I hope that Conte continues our recent good record against them, we need an organiser and without JT (not sure if he'll be available) my fear is that we'll lack this.

StebzAno   
7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

For some reason Cahill is having a mare at the moment and needs to take a break, I'd actually take my chances with Ivanovic.  So we're left with packing the midfield with a 4-3-3 or our favourite 4-2-3-1 to protect our fragile defence.  The holding midfielders would really need to be decisive, and collect and deliver the ball forward (instead of allowing dilly-dallying around at the back four/five).  Moses and Fabregas for sure deserve a place based on recent performance.  The difficult one is the centre as Oscar can go absent, but Fabregas isn't really a number 10 in my mind.

Courtois

Azpi Ivanovic JT Alonso

Kante Oscar? Fabregas

Moses Costa Hazard

Courtois

Azpi Ivanovic JT Alonso

Kante Chalobah?

Moses Fabregas Hazard

Costa

Jasonb   

Is JT fit, I know they were targeting Arsenal?

I wouldn't play Ivanovich and JT together now, as see them too risky against quick CFs.

I would like Fabregas to start but alongside Kante and Matic so he has more attacking freedom.

With Fabgregas playing I would keep Oscar for his work rate and interplay.

Also I would like Alsonso to get another chance at LB.

We just paid 30m odd for Luiz. And I guess a very healthy wages too.  If Cahill and JT start ahead of him, you really have to wonder what that was all about.

Can't pick a pairing that selects itself and stands head and shoulders above another; has to come down to Conte's preference. I suspect Conte will go for Luiz, as he is able to deliver those long balls, though that yellow he picked up against Leicester, is the other side of Luiz we remember all too well.