• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Arsenal 3 Chelsea 0

3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I think those that seem to spend their time isolating Luiz or Matic as the sole reason behind all of the club's ills as well as probably global warming need to take a step back. If you concentrate on any single player then their mistakes are highlighted and just go to reinforce one's antipathy toward them. If our problems could be laid down at the door of any individual then we wouldn't be in the position we are in. No, our predicament arises due to a collective failing, be it tactical, mental, whatever.

We don't have a predicament.  We have 10 points from 5 games and have won 2 cup games.

What we do have is a team that is excellent going forward on the vary rare occasions it tires.  It is no more useless at defending than any other club that just sits back and defends.  It is all about the style of play, and not about the players.  Play open football with Fabregas for 90 mins and we'd win every game 4 or 5-1 until injuries and tiredness drags us down.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Personally, I think Chalobah offers.......... and I'd actually swap him around with Kanté, so that the latter can be pushed forward a touch more. His energy is best used alongside Fabregas rather than behind him.

Yes, bring Kante into play.

17 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Give me gps co-ordinates and I will organise carrier pigeons.

Bloody clever pigeons.  Mine would just fly home.

Holymoly   
1 hour ago, zaffo said:

There's a good chance he'd probably have done that had the transfer market not been as difficult as it was to bring in the right sort of players. Coming in and shipping out players before bringing any in would have hurt us more. Also not having the Euro's taking up a portion of the summer would have helped with the whole situation too. Can kinda see why he's got a lot of the same players on hand to work with.

I think there are two other factors at work here though.

1. The foreign clubs know the Premier League is awash with cash due to the TV deal and now can play hardball knowing that just one megabucks deal can make a huge difference to them and mean they can hold on to the rest of their squad.

2. A significant number of players appeared to be turning down opportunities to join us, preferring to sign up to new contracts with their existing clubs. Whether this is because those clubs are able to offer better terms these days due to the large transfer fees they've obtained on other sales I don't know. An alternative explanation might be that those players have seen little European success from English clubs and possibly ask themselves why should they move here to knock their pan out week in week out for no European reward wherease if the stay with Madrid or Juventus etc they only have a handful of hard games a year and live in a wonderful climate with the promise of CL football every year?

Holymoly   
22 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

We don't have a predicament.  We have 10 points from 5 games and have won 2 cup games.

Our predicament is that we have group of players (I hesitate to describe them as a team) who are mentally brittle. I would describe them as a glass cannon. When it comes off we're almost unplayable. But if they're required to buckle down and withstand an onslaught before giving as good as they get then they are just as likely to blow up in our face as they did against Liverpool and threatened to do in the first half against Leicester.

Bear in mind of the 10 points we have, 6 of them were salvaged in the dying minutes of games and one of the cup successes was against the "mighty" Bristol Rovers.

You can close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears and cry la-la-la all you like but we have a lack of leadership (once Terry is out of the picture), no strong core to the team and a lack of identity with the club for many fans with so many of the stalwarts having moved on in a fairly short period of time. Fiddle as loudly as you like Droy but wisps of smoke have been sighted over Rome and I can't see a phoenix about to erupt from Stamford Bridge.

1 hour ago, zaffo said:

There's a good chance he'd probably have done that had the transfer market not been as difficult as it was to bring in the right sort of players. Coming in and shipping out players before bringing any in would have hurt us more. Also not having the Euro's taking up a portion of the summer would have helped with the whole situation too. Can kinda see why he's got a lot of the same players on hand to work with.

Over the next 12-24 months there needs to be a considerable clear out had and rebuild, irrespective who the manager is. Hopefully, it will be Conte who does that. He's got the ability to build a side that could go on and provide the foundation for years ahead, just as he did with Juventus. 

?? 9 OUT Ramires, Pato, Falcao, Djilobodji, Remy, Traore, Kenedy, Rahman, Amelia from last years squad are not here this year.

5 IN (4 new players and Chalobah, I won't count Aina or Solanke)

And certainly being free to scout for half of last season while being busy only for the earlier part of the summer is a far far better position for a manager to be in that managing full time till late May.  

As excuse making this is pretty poor stuff - and contrasts enormously to the promises you were making about Conte all summer based on your privileged position of actually watching Serie A.

Just now, Holymoly said:

Our predicament is that we have group of players (I hesitate to describe them as a team) who are mentally brittle. I would describe them as a glass cannon. When it comes off we're almost unplayable. But if they're required to buckle down and withstand an onslaught before giving as good as they get then they are just as likely to blow up in our face as they did against Liverpool and threatened to do in the first half against Leicester.

Bear in mind of the 10 points we have, 5 of them were salvaged in the dying minutes of games and one of the cup successes was against the "mighty" Bristol Rovers.

You can close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears and cry la-la-la all you like but we have a lack of leadership (once Terry is out of the picture), no strong core to the team and a lack of identity with the club for many fans with so many of the stalwarts having moved on in a fairly short period of time. Fiddle as loudly as you like Droy but wisps of smoke have been sighted over Rome and I can't see a phoenix about to erupt from Stamford Bridge.

I don't get mentally brittle either.  We are the come back champions this season.  Far from collapsing we thrive in adversity.  That spells to me  strong character, lousy starting tactics.

Too many people trying to explain away the perfectly obvious last season and this season with their personal enmities - either against JM or individual players.
The truth was very very plain to see -

15/16 - not enough players, and we tried too hard.
16/17 - so far fresh and in form players, far too negative

5 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Fiddle as loudly as you like Droy but wisps of smoke have been sighted over Rome and I can't see a phoenix about to erupt from Stamford Bridge.

Talk about mixed metaphors.  Not sure what you mean by this.  I am Nero?  The new pope will be announced (white smoke over the Vatican)?   No deicison yet (Black smoke).  Conte out?  Disaster portends?  Jesus or JM will return?

On a slightly different point, this fixture used to make the wallet really creak at 2 x £70 a ticket. With the new single price 'rule' in force this season, this particular fixture gives the match going fans less than half the usual price admission.

There's just criticism for the PL/FA on other matters, but on this issue they've listened and acted. Fans shouldn't rest on the £30 rule, the campaign started with the tagline "twenty's plenty" and that's what ought to be aimed at.

In my view, the general level of away support in the PL helps to generate the atmosphere that's enjoyed by the TV fans who are providing the majority of the funding for the wealth enjoyed by the PL, Clubs, Players etc.

Holymoly   
21 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I've never rung a pigeons neck before. I wonder what it feels like?

Chicken

What, bearing an olive branch if all goes according to plan, and if it doesn't they s**t on him? I'll stick to MOTD, thanks

We're dead. I'll take a point from this. I know we need a win but we are still so brittle in every way 🙈