Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jasonb

The England team

60 posts in this topic

It does amuse me (rarely), how every thread inevitably goes into a heated tennis match, often over something that is of a completely different context to that of the said thread.

Rooney may still (by a thread) have a place further at the back of the England team, but his days at the front should have been over years ago.  Problem is he is like a celebrity and his name far surpasses his value to the team.  I can't believe the FA would want their national team to fail, but I do believe the commercial aspect is a higher priority than winning the tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steb, I cannot see Rooney justifiably being given a place in an England midfield when we have several other strong contenders for that place. If he is not judged to be first choice as a CF or playing just behind the CF then surely his international career should be over.

if this change cannot be made then either Big Sam is a coward or I suspect the FA are applying pressure to keep him in the team.

Or do you think he is being kept on just due to his past experience being useful in a young dressing room? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Steb, I cannot see Rooney justifiably being given a place in an England midfield when we have several other strong contenders for that place. If he is not judged to be first choice as a CF or playing just behind the CF then surely his international career should be over.

if this change cannot be made then either Big Sam is a coward or I suspect the FA are applying pressure to keep him in the team.

Or do you think he is being kept on just due to his past experience being useful in a young dressing room? 

I agree, in terms of physicality you do end up searching for reasons to include Rooney, even as a playmaker it's hard to justify his value in the team over others.

His past experience could be an aspect, with double the caps of any other member bar Hart, he may be acting as a mentor.  You could say he's the JT of the current England squad (speaking in terms of Chelsea and not JT's history with the national team).  It's got to the point of not who is a coward, but who is brave enough to finally cut him from the squad.  Maybe it's a question of who is Englands next captain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rooney and Fellaini dropped and Man U score 4. Will be interesting to see if the omittal of Rooney continues and how this affects Big Sam's future team selection.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

Rooney and Fellaini dropped and Man U score 4. Will be interesting to see if the omittal of Rooney continues and how this affects Big Sam's future team selection.

 

I can guarantee we will rescue Rooney from his "United nightmare".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/09/2016 at 7:41 PM, Bob Singleton said:

I've read some weird posts in my time on this forum, but the idea that the FA don't want the England team to be successful as a result of globalisation is right up there amongst the more crazy notions people have put forward.
 

Yes. To be filed in the 'Looney Conspiracy Theories' file, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we at least try to keep the posts on-topic? You know, even if just for show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Sounds like the Fake Sheikh all over again - (the original is awaiting sentencing I believe, and should have been done over the JT's Dad incident where the judge recommended a police inquiry).

Entrapment is what I would call it.  Shame on the Telegraph for getting into things the Sun and NOTW used to specialise in.  I wonder how many papers turned it down before the telegraph picked it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sounds like the Fake Sheikh all over again - (the original is awaiting sentencing I believe, and should have been done over the JT's Dad incident where the judge recommended a police inquiry).

Entrapment is what I would call it.  Shame on the Telegraph for getting into things the Sun and NOTW used to specialise in.  I wonder how many papers turned it down before the telegraph picked it up.

It's clearly an in-house investigation by the Telegraph themselves, and not something conducted by others and then hawked around "Fleet Street" to the whoever might be interested. They've done similar investigations into MPs and members of the House of Lords (eg 2010 in conjunction with the Channel 4 programme Dispatches where several MPs got stung regarding lobbying).
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0