Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jasonb

The England team

60 posts in this topic

I remember years ago WBA went on tour to China.

One of their players ducked out of seeing the Great  wall of China saying "You've seen one wall , you've seen 'em all ".

40 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I remember years ago WBA went on tour to China.

One of their players ducked out of seeing the Great  wall of China saying "You've seen one wall , you've seen 'em all ".

There's a Great Wall of China less than a mile from where I live...

Sorry; I'll get my coat.

10 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

That's a somewhat harsh view. The England squad had only recently arrived in Durban and some had said they'd hardly slept since arriving and the Mandela meeting meant getting a dawn flight to Johannesburg and the return in the evening. 8 players, including Joe Cole, preferred to stay in Durban and train for the game (some were trying to force their way into the team, others were not regulars who wanted to continue impressing Sven). Blame whoever arranged the 'itinerary', not the players who passed on the opportunity.

It was only a friendly wasn't it? I bet he regrets it now.

1 hour ago, Baloo said:

It was only a friendly wasn't it? I bet he regrets it now.

Yes it was only a friendly, and I imagine all 8 who chose to miss out on meeting Mandela regret it now, but at the time some, like Southgate, were trying to cement a place in the team. If you'd had a tiring flight, then very little sleep and knew the following day you had the (free) choice of either getting up before dawn to get another plane for an hour plus journey, hang around for a few hours before a 20 minute meeting with Mandela, followed by hanging around for a flight back in the early evening, or a lie-in followed by a training session where you hope to impress the manager... he was a professional footballer doing what he thought was best for his career at the time. I'm not going to hold it against him.

Steve Holland confirmed as Gareth Southgate's assistant whilst the latter is in temporary charge of the national team. Holland has been his assistant with England U-21 for about 3 years now.

I don't want to turn this into a Rooney thread, however I can't help but notice he's been benched again at United.  You have to wonder how this will reflect in selecting the line-ups over the coming qualifiers.

England? Team? Two words, mutually exclusive in the same sentence. If you want to see a "team" whereby a body of players better than the sum of its parts then take a look at Wales at the moment. Keeping with Wales you can look back to a previous era where the Wales XI included Giggs, Speed, Bellamy, Savage, Davies, Coleman, Hartson etc and were rubbish beyond belief. Epitomised by Giggs who only ever turned up for the big games and rarely played well even then. Names or reputations are no guarantee of a team spirit coalescing and England are just carrying this on. They're not that bothered and consequently routinely get found out by more motivated sides.

I could care less about international football.

8 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

England? Team? Two words, mutually exclusive in the same sentence. If you want to see a "team" whereby a body of players better than the sum of its parts then take a look at Wales at the moment. Keeping with Wales you can look back to a previous era where the Wales XI included Giggs, Speed, Bellamy, Savage, Davies, Coleman, Hartson etc and were rubbish beyond belief. Epitomised by Giggs who only ever turned up for the big games and rarely played well even then. Names or reputations are no guarantee of a team spirit coalescing and England are just carrying this on. They're not that bothered and consequently routinely get found out by more motivated sides.

I could care less about international football.

We're on the same page, paragraph and sentence on this one, almost like you were speaking my mind.  I remember comparing the depressing significant gap in spirit/passion alone between the English and Welsh teams during the Euro's.  It's bad enough with all the corruption and politics involved in the international game, it'll take a long time for me to back England like I used to in the 90's.

2 hours ago, StebzAno said:

It'll take a long time for me to back England like I used to in the 90's.

Doubt it will ever happen.

If Southgate is being judged on his results over the next 2 or 3 games he got shafted (Spain & Germany).

On the other hand the players may really want him to get the job and it might improve their performances.

I'm not sure a top quality club manager is automatically suited to being an international manager so I would rule out some of the more obvious choices on those grounds.

I have no idea why Wenger is being touted, has he ever expressed any interest in the job?