Michael Tucker

Chelsea 5 Everton 0

199 posts in this topic

Great result saturday and we certainly look hot at the moment, I have been really struggling to shake the feeling that this is a hot and cold team but this run of form is helping. I think if we come through Tottenham and city with 4 points or more I'll be convinced. Because its those kind of games where the we will see if Hazard fancies it (unlike at arsenal or v liverpool) and whether Pedro's tendency to try things rather than keep possesion is exposed.

More than happy with the past few weeks though keep it up Chelsea.

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Wasn't that mostly down to him not being given a role that suited his strengths, though? Look at Hazard. Chain him to the left hand side and expect him to run up and down the touchline and you negate his strengths while exposing his weaknesses. It was the worse way to utilise him, other than possibly putting him in goal! With Cahill and Alonso protecting the left, he now has the freedom to do what he does best (whilst still contributing with pressing/closing down). Exactly the same with Pedro on the right. Chaining him to that wing, and expecting him and Ivanovic or him and Azpilicueta to cover the opposition full backs and wide men negated his strengths whilst exposing his weaknesses... which is why the harder working but less threatening Willian was preferred.

Whilst having been here for a season already won't have done him any harm in terms of acclimatising to the PL, I think if he'd arrived from Barcelona this summer and was dropped straight into this current system, we'd be seeing similar performances. We now have a system and style of play that suits far more of the players, allowing them to play to their strengths far more, whilst the strengths of others around them cover their weaknesses.

Willian will get playing time coming off the bench for Pedro, long after the game has been well won, or as cover for Moses, but he just hasn't got that attacking verve that both Pedro and Hazard have. The closest we have to that in the current squad is Moses.

It was partly due to that, I also had some doubts about him handling the pace of the English PL. I have to say he has impressed in the last handful of games, not sure I would have given him Willian's place in the team ahead of the Leicester game, but he has grasped it well and it seems to suit him very well.

I think the recent pattern of him being a 65-75 minutes man will continue. He works incredibly hard and it seems like his instructions are to give a high intensity 70 minutes before being replaced for the final 20 mins.

I still think he lacks a little technically, certainly in terms of his passing, but right now he seems a perfect fit for the role being asked and that outweighs any negatives to his game. He also offers an excellant goal threat too as is probably one of the best , if not best finisher at the club.

6 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Wasn't that mostly down to him not being given a role that suited his strengths, though? Look at Hazard. Chain him to the left hand side and expect him to run up and down the touchline and you negate his strengths while exposing his weaknesses. It was the worse way to utilise him, other than possibly putting him in goal! With Cahill and Alonso protecting the left, he now has the freedom to do what he does best (whilst still contributing with pressing/closing down). Exactly the same with Pedro on the right. Chaining him to that wing, and expecting him and Ivanovic or him and Azpilicueta to cover the opposition full backs and wide men negated his strengths whilst exposing his weaknesses... which is why the harder working but less threatening Willian was preferred.

So what about 2014/15 where he was the best player in the league. Just forget that cause it suits your argument? 

At that point in time, we did try Hazard in a more free role. He wasn't performing better than at LW. Different styles for different set-ups. Not sure why people feel the need to compare two vastly different set-ups. 

36 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

So what about 2014/15 where he was the best player in the league. Just forget that cause it suits your argument? 

At that point in time, we did try Hazard in a more free role. He wasn't performing better than at LW. Different styles for different set-ups. Not sure why people feel the need to compare two vastly different set-ups. 

He had a far freer role prior to 2015/16.

I think Kante brought some balance to the team, most of our balls taking from us by the opponents, get returned by him, lots of our attacks are fed to our LW or RW, they're fed initially by Kante. A MF with an attack mentality, always have a plan, never stops to think he does it while in motion, watch his moves, everything is preplanned, definitely changed the equastion. The man was underrated when playing for Leicester, in my opinion he deserves the recognition of the added value to our team.

As for Pedro and Moses, their storming sprint shocks the defenders, and creates an opening for Hazard and Costa. Thats why Alonso looks a little slow during any attack opportunity, we try to compare him to Pedro or Moses but I think he makes up for that being tactically correct, his feild awareness is high, predicts well where he should be and thats vital.

Willian, saved us lots of disaters last year lets not forget his excellent contribution back then. He has an incredible gear shift when he sprints, but he wastes the time he won studying very carefully his opponents moves when being blocked (doddle too much), he turns it into a chess game, but wins his battles almost everytime cause he is very clever. He is very brave in penetrating the centre which is what we need (we were pushing Matic to start doing), and his shots on target are done with some high precision. Willian tricks a lot of the defenders, and his style is I'm going through or I'm getting a foul, we've seen that and we need it. I'm just a fan and brainstorming here, what could you make use of Willian in this team that is showing lots of potential today? Is there any vacancy for him, and in what position would you fit him? is it very hard to mold a world class player into a plan he is capable of doing a little part of it only?

Presently our style requires quick thinking and quick interchange of one touch flicks and passing. unfortunately I don't see Willian having the habit to do that often. he likes to keep the ball with him until he's surrounded and out of options. the difference here in Pedro is obvious. it's not surprising Pedro has looked so much better and comfortable in this new quick one touch playing style similar to how he's taught to play at Barca.

Edited by Kezza

9 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

He had a far freer role prior to 2015/16.

I'd disagree with that. In 2014/15 he works incredibly hard and tracked his man when we didn't have the ball. He was just more up for it and did everything he was asked for. 

I'm far more inclined to buy the "he was injured" excuse for 2015/16. He also plays LW for Belgium and guess what, has been LW for most of his career. Maybe he'll grow into a role like CR where he becomes a more rounded attacker. But that's not what he's been so far imo. 

8 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He also plays LW for Belgium and guess what, has been LW for most of his career. Maybe he'll grow into a role like CR where he becomes a more rounded attacker. But that's not what he's been so far imo. 

No he doesn't.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2669549-eden-hazard-comments-on-chelsea-positioning-after-no-10-role-with-belgium

4 hours ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

Until recently he certainly did. Maybe he's changed recently - I wouldn't know. I don't follow Belgium like I do Chelsea for obvious reasons.

But up until and including the euros he certainly played LW for Belgium. And more importantly - he definitely did for the time period Bob referred to. Both for club and country. It's also funny that Bob says Hazard had a freer role in 2014-15 compared to 2015-16. I'd swear he's been moaning about how Hazard was shackled by Jose prior to the 15-16 season. If not him, there's certainly been plenty of others who has.