Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
East Lower

Victor Moses

36 posts in this topic

I looked for an existing thread/topic regarding Victor and could only find an archived one. Apologies to the Mods if there's one I've overlooked.

A place really to discuss what has been a bit of a Lazarus type rising for our Victor.

Currently fulfilling a vital role in Conte's current system.

Has he been overlooked by other Managers because he wasn't quite good enough to play the wide-attacking midfielder, the not as good as Hazard so isn't getting in - or have we found a system that Victor fits into perfectly. Where he's got the natural ability to offer the width and professional discipline and workrate to offer the defensive protection and attacking width necessary in this system.

And/or have other Managers' missed a trick?

We buy and loan thats what we do and maybe Moses highlights that after buying we should first try.

He is playing well and I am very happy for him (and us)

Silly thing is, he did reasonably well in his one full season with us. Not to displace Hazard but certainly a capable squad player. Last year, we definitely could have done with another winger. 

Every pre season too he did well and then got discarded. How disheartening. 

Has been unfortunate to not be a part of the squad in previous seasons. When we've cried out for some directness but instead purchased players like Salah etc, all while having someone like Moses already here to fill that squad role. 

Good to see Conte trust him and Moses has repaid that faith. 

15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Silly thing is, he did reasonably well in his one full season with us. Not to displace Hazard but certainly a capable squad player. Last year, we definitely could have done with another winger. 

Every pre season too he did well and then got discarded. How disheartening. 

Yep. Benitez used him a fair bit as a squad player throughout that season and he did quite well in games.

Jose came in and he disappeared without being given a chance , whilst we bought and sold a number of alternative options in Salah, Mata, De Bruyne, Schurrle, Cuadrado ...........it's ridiculous when you look back on it and one of a number of factors that cost Jose his job here.

Victor was proving his worth before we ever went to 343. He was coming on as sub, sticking to the touchline, running with the ball at opponents, getting crosses in. He was doing something nobody else in the squad will do. He's been doing it in pre-season since Jose returned, but Jose ignored him. Since going to 343, he's been in his element. He has pace, stamina, he poses a goal threat, he may not be the most technical but he has skill, and he has spirit. I think Alonso's done ok but my hope is that Kenedy can bring his tenacity, pace, skills and goal threat to the left hand side. That would be pretty tidy.

1 hour ago, Mr Marvellous said:

Victor was proving his worth before we ever went to 343. He was coming on as sub, sticking to the touchline, running with the ball at opponents, getting crosses in. He was doing something nobody else in the squad will do. He's been doing it in pre-season since Jose returned, but Jose ignored him. Since going to 343, he's been in his element. He has pace, stamina, he poses a goal threat, he may not be the most technical but he has skill, and he has spirit. I think Alonso's done ok but my hope is that Kenedy can bring his tenacity, pace, skills and goal threat to the left hand side. That would be pretty tidy.

We don't want that on both sides though because there becomes a lack of defensive balance when both WB's are more attacking based. Right now, Alonso provides a contrasting balance down the left. While he's able to get forward and put in a good ball, he's also more comfortable defensively. Rarely at Juventus did Conte ever go with two out and out attacking WB's because of this, even Allegri continued with this trend. The only real time when two attacking WB's are used is when a game is being chased or the opposition are inferior. This tends to result in either one or both players being pushed into a midfield role - much in the way that Cuadrado is used.

I'd actually be more inclined seeing Kenedy as a Pedro alternative opposed to an Alonso one. Never really understood the notion of playing Kenedy at LB when he's clearly an attacking player. He never really looked comfortable unless he was forward. Use that directness and his willingness to shoot in the final third where it's more beneficial and dangerous. 

8 hours ago, zaffo said:

We don't want that on both sides though because there becomes a lack of defensive balance when both WB's are more attacking based. Right now, Alonso provides a contrasting balance down the left. While he's able to get forward and put in a good ball, he's also more comfortable defensively. Rarely at Juventus did Conte ever go with two out and out attacking WB's because of this, even Allegri continued with this trend. The only real time when two attacking WB's are used is when a game is being chased or the opposition are inferior. This tends to result in either one or both players being pushed into a midfield role - much in the way that Cuadrado is used.

I'd actually be more inclined seeing Kenedy as a Pedro alternative opposed to an Alonso one. Never really understood the notion of playing Kenedy at LB when he's clearly an attacking player. He never really looked comfortable unless he was forward. Use that directness and his willingness to shoot in the final third where it's more beneficial and dangerous. 

A good, thoughtful post Zaffo but you're worrying too much about what he did at Juve.