• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 West Brom 0

paulw66   
4 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

The City win came at a cost, with Pedro, Costa, and Luiz picking up knocks. Will be interesting to see who recovers in time, and who's risked for this game.

Costa certainly seemed ok after he went charging down the touchline when the melee ensued. I am pretty Luiz was ok too other than perhaps a bruise 

5 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

The City win came at a cost, with Pedro, Costa, and Luiz picking up knocks. Will be interesting to see who recovers in time, and who's risked for this game.

Out of the league cup already (thankfully) and maybe a handful of FA cup games to come - this settled XI should be expected to line up 33-35 out of the 38 league games. I don't see that as over working them, I cannot see that as anything other than a distinct possibility so if fit, the Spurs XI plays and Matic walks back into the side at the expense of Fabregas. Decent to have on the bench should this West Brom side be stubborn to get through I can't make any case for Willian or Cesc starting.

I'd be tempted to start Fabregas in this one.  West Brom are tough to break down, we might need his passing ability.  That being said I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed to see Matic back in if fit

15 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

After the emotional victory at City, coming off another emotional win against Spurs, there's the worrying possibility of complacency and a lack of intensity creeping in. Yes, we know that Conte will guard against it, but sometimes it's natural to ease off after such a draining period.

In some ways, the next few games will be the real test. We have to maintain the intensity and concentration that we've demonstrated over the past 8 games. It's not easy to do, especially against a physical and disciplined side like WBA who have hit a bit of form themselves.

Important to start well, control the game, and look to score in the first half hour. The longer it remains goalless, the more it plays into their hands. 

I honestly believe that the race for the title begins now. 

Yep, agree with all of that. Also, the 2 games following this one are Sunderland and Palace, both of whom have just ended dreadful runs. 

Really need to keep our run going and heap the pressure on the chasing pack.

18 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Costa certainly seemed ok after he went charging down the touchline when the melee ensued. I am pretty Luiz was ok too other than perhaps a bruise 

Yep. If you're right about Luiz then it's blind luck that he didn't get seriously injured. 

jones   

Both Luiz and Costa one yellow away from suspension. 

And Pedro, Azpi, Kanté and Matic are on three. 

Not unlikely that most of them will be suspended before the cut off date Jan 1. After a six game run of unchanged starting XI, expect more use of the squad going into Christmas. We will never be able to win the PL with 11 players. Hopefully our second string of Fabregas, Chalobah, Batshuayi et.al can deliver.

Oh, and nice to face West Brom and for once not having to fear for our manager's future.

Edited by jones

paulw66   
2 hours ago, chelsea_matt said:

Yep. If you're right about Luiz then it's blind luck that he didn't get seriously injured. 

Well he did the post match interview, translating for Diego Costa. If was injured, I am pretty sure he would have been heading straight in for treatment. He also came over to the away end with the rest of the players too. 

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Well he did the post match interview, translating for Diego Costa. If was injured, I am pretty sure he would have been heading straight in for treatment. He also came over to the away end with the rest of the players too. 

Yes I know. I was just saying that it was luck he got away without being badly hurt after that disgusting challenge.

xCELERYx   

FWIW - Conte only used 26 players in his first season at Juventus. I think at last count he's used 20/21 here. So, he'd had some experience with managing a thin squad through a season. Albeit our squad is more threadbare at present.