Michael Tucker

Sunderland 0 Chelsea 1

176 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, chelboy said:

I would rest Luiz, Kante, Moses and Costa for this one. I would bring in Zouma for Luiz ( Give Azpi the Luiz role), Cesc for Kante, Aina for Moses and Bathshuayi for Costa. I would have played Ivan at RWB but having Alonso and Ivan as WB lacks pace on both flanks and could result in being trapped inside your half. Aina gives us more pace out wide and could reach box to box in good timing. With everyone one else keeping their positions that team should be able to beat Sunderland.  With Defoe being at the age he is at I would not expect to see them press us that high up the pitch which should help us with passing the ball out of defence which is why I dont feel Luiz is worth risking in this game as he clearly looked unfit against WB.

So many changes would be suicide. At most we should make just the two, get the game won early and sub in three to protect the better players/ones prone to injury. 

This has 'banana skin' written all over it. Facing a northern team on a wednesday night in december and they need any point they can get their hands on. 

I'd make two small changes;

Courtois; Azpi, Luiz, Cahill; Moses, Fabregas, Kanté, Alonso; Willian, Costa, Hazard

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

This has 'banana skin' written all over it. Facing a northern team on a wednesday night in december and they need any point they can get their hands on. 

I'd make two small changes;

Courtois; Azpi, Luiz, Cahill; Moses, Fabregas, Kanté, Alonso; Willian, Costa, Hazard

Realistically those are the only two possible changes, if Conte makes any.

I'm surprised there's 9 days between matches after the Palace game on Saturday. I thought there's no way they'll all play 3 matches in 6 days but the momentum and motivation we have, coupled with knowing there's 9 days off after it, we'll probably see very few changes. 

Edited by ripz

1 hour ago, ripz said:

I'm surprised there's 9 days between matches after the Palace game on Saturday. I thought there's no way they'll all play 3 matches in 6 days but the momentum and motivation we have, coupled with knowing there's 9 days off after it, we'll probably see very few changes. 

Exactly and it's not as if Palace can rest many players either. As I've and Dave has said, the most it's likely to e is Willian and Cesc in for Pedro/Hazard and Matic/Kanté, depending on how brave Conte's feeling/who he thinks needs a rest. The only other possible change he may make is Costa for Batsuayhi but I reckon that would only be if he thinks Costa's hamstrings cannot take in so many matches in a short period. 

4 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

Exactly and it's not as if Palace can rest many players either. As I've and Dave has said, the most it's likely to e is Willian and Cesc in for Pedro/Hazard and Matic/Kanté, depending on how brave Conte's feeling/who he thinks needs a rest. The only other possible change he may make is Costa for Batsuayhi but I reckon that would only be if he thinks Costa's hamstrings cannot take in so many matches in a short period. 

It's Hazard, Costa and Luiz that worry me.  If they start, which to be honest they probably will, I wouldn't want them playing longer than an hour, at least not until we meet the spuds again.

Moyes would have watched the WBA game with interest and will be looking to ape Pullis' formation and tactics. They'll sit deep with men behind the ball and look to frustrate. The smart thing to do would be to leave Defoe and Anichebe up top to offer an outlet, but I'm not sure Moyes is brave enough to do that. As on Sunday, we'll have to be patient and look to take whatever chances that present themselves. 

As for changes, I wouldn't be looking to make many. Kante should play every single PL game. I'd look to rest Luiz who was off his game against WBA and probably needs a rest. Not sure who comes in for him? Maybe Ivanovic as the central CB? 

I'd also play Fabregas in place of Matic. He'll provide an alternative to Luiz as a deep lying playmaker and should help in breaking down the opposition.

The WB's are the major worry. They cover so much ground and have such important roles that it's imperative that we protect them and keep them fresh. Not sure what to do in that regard. Maybe rest Moses and play any one of Aina/Ivanovic/Willian?

Alonso is almost impossible to replace, (we lack a natural left-footer) so we may have to play him until we bring in an alternative in January.

This will be a very tough game in the bitter cold against a team scrapping for points. A win would be huge here. 

Oh and let's hope Everton do us a favour tonight. 

Edited by A Blue Essien

Not so worried about Sunderland copying WB approach because Sunderland lack the players and concentration that can take on such a approach for 60 mins. Defensively they are not as good as WB so we will create more chances for sure. I think Costa is the most important player to rest for this game due to the fact of injures. I'm more worried about him being injured than suspended. He has covered a lot of ground this season. I think his improved fitness is due to the fact he is playing once a week but I would not risk playing him for 3 games in 6 days. Its not worth the risk when your playing teams like Sunderland who we should be able to still beat without him. I know Sunderland form has improved but defensively they are shocking.

Chelboy you make reasonable points yet if we drop Costa then Hazard must play, I don't think you can drop your two most dangerous players in the same match in the EPL without paying a price.