• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
paulw66

Official: Steve Holland to leave Chelsea

paulw66   

Quite simply, Holland is leaving in the summer to take the England role full time.

Who will replace him?

I think it is a toss up between JT and SFL

Thoughts?

I was thinking JT is a strong possibility.

He's been doing his UEFA Coaching Badges, he's launched (or is the main character in) a coaching app, whilst out injured he's been overseeing the players on the bench with their warm up and warm down routines... all things that point to some sort of coaching job once he retires from playing. Being Conte's assistant will help him learn even more if he wishes to one day manage the club, whilst giving Conte a sounding board who knows the players well, knows the club well, knows the league well and can be that conduit between dressing room and manager that is sometimes necessary.

• Like 1

Back in the day, Greenwood, Venables and Hoddle were all ex-Chelsea.

Now all we get is the Number 2s - Ray Lewington and Steve Holland.

Are we going backwards?      :)

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

The least amount they can blame England's shortcomings on us the better.

9 hours ago, blue moon said:

I believe that SFL is closer to getting his manager's ticket than JT - correct?

Why not both? Holland gave us experience and the 2 of them have Chelsea blood and experience.

Jasonb   
On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:26 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Not if Club medals are the judging criteria.

However if you judge by club debt that is another matter.

Holymoly   

It's strange but while Steve is always praised in glowing terms by those in the know and I'm sure he's a really nice guy but I've always had this image of him being a bit wishy washy and a bit of a yes man. Not sure if this is bad news for the club or not.

51 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

It's strange but while Steve is always praised in glowing terms by those in the know and I'm sure he's a really nice guy but I've always had this image of him being a bit wishy washy and a bit of a yes man. Not sure if this is bad news for the club or not.

I'd have the same feeling, but it is probably because we mostly see him sitting next to the manager in the dug out and being used as a sounding board, so just nodding along.  He seems more pro-active when alone with the players. 

Plus of course he has dealt with some really big name players at Chelsea.  I don't think Southgate has ever done that before.

On 12/22/2016 at 11:43 AM, Bob Singleton said:

I was thinking JT is a strong possibility.

He's been doing his UEFA Coaching Badges, he's launched (or is the main character in) a coaching app, whilst out injured he's been overseeing the players on the bench with their warm up and warm down routines... all things that point to some sort of coaching job once he retires from playing. Being Conte's assistant will help him learn even more if he wishes to one day manage the club, whilst giving Conte a sounding board who knows the players well, knows the club well, knows the league well and can be that conduit between dressing room and manager that is sometimes necessary.

Pretty strong argument there. My instinct is that Holland would be a big loss but JT would be a vital part of the coaching staff IMO.

I like the idea of former players being involved with the current players because otherwise over time you lose that sense of what it means to be Chelsea.