• Current Donation Goals

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

A 36 year old CB - I don't see an issue with that.  After all some here are arguing for a 38 year old box to box midfielder (not you or me,  I know).

But going back to the OP - it would be one thing to say that JT is now 5th or 6th on our list of Triple CBs (Luiz, Azpi, Cahill, Ivanovic, Zouma, JT - you choose the order).  Quite another to suggest that Ake or Christensen is a significant upgrade on any of them.  Indeed it is not even clear we need a 6th choice CB given how few we have in other positions.
Ake and Christensen are doing well in their careers so far.  But neither are pushing for a place at a top 4 team yet.

I'd have thought Luiz and JT are pretty much interchangeable, with Luiz athleticism offset by JT's reliability.  I think either could play deep CB and either could play LCB.

Unless of course you take the view that only true disciples of the prophet can  tell you the exact requirements of a LCB or a RWB, and that infidel like me aren't allowed an opinion.  In which case you know where to get the fatwa from.

Well, Zaffo (if that's the "true disciple" you're alluding to) actually follows Italian football (and Juve specifically) whilst you have claimed in the past that not only do you NOT watch Serie A, but can't understand anyone wanting to. I know who I prefer to trust, for example (and I could also wheel out your endless "opinions" regarding Conte, a man you knew nothing about before he arrived here, yet had plenty to say about), when one claims Alonso is a converted CB and the other rightly points out that he's rarely played CB, and then only as a LCB in a three when he has!

Sadly we now live in a culture where everyone thinks that "I'm entitled to my opinion" implies that all opinions are equal, and that ignorance is as good as knowledge. You know where you can shove your "opinions"!

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'd have thought Luiz and JT are pretty much interchangeable, with Luiz athleticism offset by JT's reliability.  I think either could play deep CB and either could play LCB.

Unless of course you take the view that only true disciples of the prophet can  tell you the exact requirements of a LCB or a RWB, and that infidel like me aren't allowed an opinion.  In which case you know where to get the fatwa from.

Sure, I'd agree that JT and Luiz are the natural incumbents for the CB position. Technically and defensively JT would be able to play LCB as well but the pace he never had (and lost further) would be an issue for me. 

It could be accounted for by making small adjustments in the team (as I mentioned Alonso). For me though, that would make us worse. 

Opinions are like Arsenal. Everyone has one. 

Galol   

JT is well passed his prime and any delay in finding suitable replacement for him would only come to haunt us one day. Remember Lampard? We never really found suitable replacement for him and it showed in our poor midfield performances since his departure. So, lets be dispassionate and look at the reality: Terry is 35/36 year naturally old slow defender in a game where players seem to be getting faster and faster each season. Couple that with our new 3-man defense formation, where pace and dynamism is vital, it's hard to see how JT can prosper with us going forward. 

paulw66   

What has brilliant in recent weeks is that players have stepped up when needed.

Fabregas has come in, and provided assists, and a winner at Sunderland. 

When the defence has allowed rare opportunities, Courtois has made big saves.

Against Stoke, it was Willian's turn in a game Hazard had little joy in, and with Pedro suspended. 

xCELERYx   

We played poorly. Spurs played well. A lack of a commanding CB in the air is once again our biggest weakness. 

We were always going to lose eventually, just had to be against Spurs. However will also do us good in the long run. 

Hopefully a good showcase for what we need to strengthen in Jan.

^ Mate, I realise that, like the rest of us, you're in a bit of state, but you've posted this in the wrong thread!