Michael Tucker

Chelsea 4 Stoke 2

156 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, jones said:

Yeah, the Luiz and Matic situations are tricky. Conte is a one game at the time man. It is his philosophy, and going against it is risky. On the other hand, yellow cards would mean they not only miss Tottenham, but also run the risk of getting a two- and three match ban later in the season. If they escape yellows they are almost home free when it comes to yellow card suspensions this season. Stoke is a physical team, so you would expect duels and some hard tackles. Players might lose their focus and temper. Yellow cards will be shown.

Conte might drop Matic on behalf of Fabregas explaining it with the need for creativity over steel against a defensive team. Dropping Luiz though would certainly tell everyone he is not taking one game at the time, and I am pretty sure he won't risk muddling his crystal clear philosophy.

I can't imagine either will be rested. Against Stoke we will need the height of both Matic and Luiz at set pieces. No point thinking about the Spurs result and dropping silly points at home. Would rather win and lose than draw twice. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I can't imagine either will be rested. Against Stoke we will need the height of both Matic and Luiz at set pieces. No point thinking about the Spurs result and dropping silly points at home. Would rather win and lose than draw twice. 

Has Matic started man-marking now at set pieces?  He didn't for a long time.

1 hour ago, jones said:

Yeah, the Luiz and Matic situations are tricky. Conte is a one game at the time man. It is his philosophy, and going against it is risky. On the other hand, yellow cards would mean they not only miss Tottenham, but also run the risk of getting a two- and three match ban later in the season. If they escape yellows they are almost home free when it comes to yellow card suspensions this season. Stoke is a physical team, so you would expect duels and some hard tackles. Players might lose their focus and temper. Yellow cards will be shown.

Conte might drop Matic on behalf of Fabregas explaining it with the need for creativity over steel against a defensive team. Dropping Luiz though would certainly tell everyone he is not taking one game at the time, and I am pretty sure he won't risk muddling his crystal clear philosophy.

I think we need the height of both against Stoke. Obviously, if JT or Zouma were in a better condition you may be able to rest Luiz but I don't see it. Hopefully, we can get two/three goals up early and then sub them off. Anyway, my squad for this match is:

Courtois, Dave, Luiz, Cahill, Moses, Alonso, Kante, Matic, Willian, Hazard, Costa.

Begovic, Zouma, Bane, Cesc, Nate, RLC, Bats

I didn't think they were that tall without Arnautovic, Shawcross, etc. I suppose there is Peter Crouch. But the likes of Diouf, Walters, Pieters, Affelay are 6 foot or so and Bojan a lot less.

Edited by Sciatika

51 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Droy you get so petty with your Matic digs.

I guess we just got lucky with all our set piece defending over the last 3 months?

I watched the Spurs/Southampton game.

It was an even scrappy affair until the penalty/sending off.

One thing I will say about Spurs, they have players who can be very clinical in finishing off chances.

As the year fades just want to wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Things looking good for 2017 with Conte at the helm.

11 hours ago, Faramir said:

As the year fades just want to wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Things looking good for 2017 with Conte at the helm.

Same to you mate.