Michael Tucker

Tottenham Hotspur 2 Chelsea 0

300 posts in this topic

It would be a very bad move to start Cesc in a 2 man midfield against a team like Spurs. They will press very high from the start and Cesc struggles when he is pressed high in these games. We saw it against City how poor he was in the 1st period of the game due to City's high press. When City lost energy and their high press went away,  he became more influential setting up the Costa goal and controlling the game. We got lucky not to go 2 down against City. Against Spurs we can not ride that kind of luck. Cesc is the perfect impact sub for this game if Spurs start to tire.  I am pretty sure if he starts the game in a 2 man midfield he would be more of a liability than an asset for 55 mins of the game or depending on when Spurs high press vanishes. Matic and Kante are needed.  They just need to understand which players to press. Last time around they were pressing the wrong players for the 1st 20 mins.

If we are on level terms around 60 mins and bring on Cesc at the right time I am confident we can do something similar to what we did to City. I dont think we are going to out play Tottenham for a majority of the game but if Conte's game management is spot on I think he can snatch a very sly 3 points. I am a huge fan of Cesc but you have to know how to manage him in the big games. He tends to be invisible in opening periods of these games.  I would not mind him in a 352 but in a 343 its a big gamble. Spurs are the type of team that can blow u away in 40 mins if you dont handle them well.

I would also start Pedro in this game, Willian pace can cause them problems late on due to their high line.  In the end I think this game is more between Conte vs Pochettino then it is the players.

Edited by chelboy

Pochettino reckons that every other PL team will be backing Spurs to beat Chelsea. And Lawro is predicting a Spurs win. The chasing pack all have pretty straightforward, winnable fixtures. too. All the ducks are in a row: Chelsea 2-1.   :).

Yeah this won't be an easy game. It's kinda irritating that we are ahead by only 6 points after such a winning run. We have very tough month ahead and need to be very careful.

They are going to try everything as they would want to avenge for last year. Hopefully Hazard will be up for this match. Nothing they do will matter if Hazard gives his best.

We need , not a strong ref but one who has a basic grasp of what the job entails.

How , week in , week out we see Hazard and Costa kicked from pillar to post and end up with more bookings is utterly beyond me.

Really hard to choose over Willian and Pedro. Willian's confidence after two goals says he should play. But Pedro's legs will be fresher after his rest. Tactically, I would think Pedro is best at keeping his position and press when Tottenham will go hard at us in the beginning of the match, and Willian is better at exploiting gaps on the counter when their legs tire.  I would go with Pedro, but it really is a tough one. 

1 hour ago, jones said:

Really hard to choose over Willian and Pedro. Willian's confidence after two goals says he should play. But Pedro's legs will be fresher after his rest. Tactically, I would think Pedro is best at keeping his position and press when Tottenham will go hard at us in the beginning of the match, and Willian is better at exploiting gaps on the counter when their legs tire.  I would go with Pedro, but it really is a tough one. 

From a footballing perspective I think it would be really harsh if Pedro does not start as he has been one of our best players in the 13 game streak and started the majority of them. Additionally, as you touch on, he is much more tactically astute and knows how to press high up much better so I would say tactically he is a better player from the first 35 minutes. Anyway, depending on how the game goes, I am sure Willian will get at least 20 minutes as let's face it Hazard is normally shagged out by that point.

Edited by Conte Kante

9 hours ago, ripz said:

very tough game, we all know how Spurs will start, hopefully we're more prepared for their high press and don't play too many stupid balls from Courtois to Azpi and get stuck in the corner flag. I think we can out muscle them so Courtois needs to get the ball cleared.

Spurs have just beaten Southampton 4-1 away and Watford 4-1 away, so they're on top form, hopefully they've used up their goalscoring luck in the last 2 games.

almost impossible score to call, anything but a loss will do. If we're not losing after half an hour I'll be more confident.

Another huge game and I agree with every word above. The home game was weird when Courtois (clearly under pre-game instruction) didn't recognise that Tottenham had completely clocked the goal-kick to wide CB pass preference and didn't improvise.

They will start like a train and it would be incredible if we could score an early breakaway goal.

We mustn't be afraid to switch the play and go long in this one. Could reap rewards AND tire them out.

Tough game but one we can win. We can DO this.

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Pochettino reckons that every other PL team will be backing Spurs to beat Chelsea. And Lawro is predicting a Spurs win. The chasing pack all have pretty straightforward, winnable fixtures. too. All the ducks are in a row: Chelsea 2-1.   :).

Manchester City might want us to win because Spurs are a direct rival to them for that fourth Champions League place. :happy:

I'm going to be honest here, I think this may be the game where our winning streak comes to an end. They will be up for it and the winning streak has to come to an end at some point. 

I'm hoping for a win, expecting a draw but fearing a loss.

4 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I'm going to be honest here, I think this may be the game where our winning streak comes to an end. They will be up for it and the winning streak has to come to an end at some point. 

I'm hoping for a win, expecting a draw but fearing a loss.

Hate to say it but I agree. I think they are hitting their peak this season going into this game and they are gonna be up for this even more after last season at the bridge, they were too aggressive that day and it came back to bite them on the arse. I think we will see them a little bit more controlled this time.

I would take a draw now. The great run has to end sometime, if we can come out of this with it still in tact then it really will be a great result.

Difficult call on Willian / Pedro. I prefer Willian as the player, but I would probably just edge it to start Pedro here to give ourselves the greater goal threat kore than anything else. It's likely to be a fast and physical game that could easily pass him by more than Willian, but he is such a good finisher it's probably worth giving him 70 mins to try and nick a goal.