• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Hull City 0

kev61   
6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Nevertheless it would be interesting to see how many points Fab has given/saved us for the relatively small amount of time he has appeared on the pitch. I'm not going to examine his every performance but I'm pretty sure without his vital contributions we wouldn't be 8 points clear.

And you really believe that? OK.

8 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Nevertheless it would be interesting to see how many points Fab has given/saved us for the relatively small amount of time he has appeared on the pitch. I'm not going to examine his every performance but I'm pretty sure without his vital contributions we wouldn't be 8 points clear.

Obviously that was most true in the early games before Conte got the defending (mostly) right.  But for example against Hull, had Fabregas started we would have been 3 or 4 up by 70 mins.  Once again we had possession and not a real clue what to do with it. The game plan appeared to be to wait until Hull took the game to us and counterattack.

That Matic had an absolutely atrocious game (hardly his first this season), responsible for being beaten (or ignored) for 4 or 5 of Hull's attacks first half, makes the exclusion of Fabregas even more bizarre.  Fabregas is not out of the team to improve our control of midfield or protect our defenders.  There is simply no purpose in leaving Fabregas out.

Faramir   
18 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

Big 3 points. On a weekend where 4 of the top 6 dropped points, it was absolutely vital we won and capitalized. It doesn't matter how we do it, just need to keep racking up points. Job done.

Some thoughts:

1) Credit to Hull. They kept their shape well, pressed high at times and dropped deeper when needed, clogging the middle and forcing crosses. They matched our formation, had a game plan, and executed it as well as they could have. In possession, they moved the ball well with the 3-4-3 providing passing options. They committed men forward when they could and had a really good spell in the second half, and that too without their most potent weapons in Snodgrass and Elmohamady. Their manager Marco Silva has, in a short space of time, done a really good job with them. I'm not sure if they have the quality or quantity of players to stay up, but Silva is one to keep an eye on.

2) I think we deserve a bit of credit as well. We showed patience, probing this way and that. There's an understanding with this team that sometimes the opposition will be difficult to break down and subtle changes in tempo can do the trick. Often there's a period where we sit off and try to force an error in order to counter attack and take advantage of space. On this occasion we realized that aerial balls into the box wasn't working and shifted to low, driven crosses. Just before the opening goal, Alonso put a low one in which Kante almost got to.

3) Have to praise Cesc. Not just for his obvious quality, but his professionalism. Hasn't complained once, and has always come out and played hard. He's a leader as well; prompting and ushering with his feet and arms. Often he's an orchestrator off the ball, pointing which way we should be moving it and to whom. He deserves a lot of credit for his commitment. 

4) Bit of praise for Courtois and Alonso as well. The former made a couple of sharp saves, pushing the ball away into safe areas. Good, solid goalkeeping. That's all we need from him. Alonso stood out to me for his sheer stamina. In the 90th minute he was still charging forward on the overlap. The man has lungs of steel. 

Excellent post. Agreed!

Faramir   
18 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Interesting to see too that Ake, Zouma and Chalobah all made the bench ahead of JT and Ivanovic

changing of the guard? 

It seems that way.

Faramir   
17 hours ago, MikelBlue said:

It's been going on like that all season long - Refs conveniently looking the other way while opponents take lumps from his ankles week in, week out. Hopefully, the FA Cup weekend coming up will afford him the chance to heal a bit.

A lot of comments over the last few games about Hazard not being at his best. This issue has a lot to do with it.

I'm not saying give Hazard special treatment. Just blow your whistle when he is fouled and give a yellow for the harsh fouls.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Faramir said:

A lot of comments over the last few games about Hazard not being at his best. This issue has a lot to do with it.

I'm not saying give Hazard special treatment. Just blow your whistle when he is fouled and give a yellow for the harsh fouls.

Is it just me or are refs generally trying to let the game continue more this season, ignoring challenges that were definite free kicks last season? 

Often it's a good thing but the league really needs to protect it's best players more or they'll all eff off to Spain where they are protected better. 

Thats a fair point and I admit I can be a bit critical of him at times for shrinking in big games, this could actually be part of it the amount of punishment he has to soak up. Hopefully rest him as much as possible V Brentford and he's fresh for the next league game.

This is exactly right , there was a moment in the Hull game where he skipped past three challenges motoring towards the area and was knocked off the ball by the fourth having been unbalanced by the third player trying to kick him.

The camera zoomed into a dishevelled Hazard who was uncomprehending of why the referee hadn't blown , it was the same kind of assault as the Raheem Sterling one earlier where staying on his feet worked against him. 

Ham   

Apropos of absolutely nothing you'd have to be insane not to appreciate that the team the manager is picking, and the substitutions he's making, have us 8 points clear. 

By the way. I love Fabregas but I also, at the same time, like and appreciate the work done by other players.

I also understand that balancing the best team dynamic doesn't always allow our 11 most talented players to start.  

Does that make me strange? 

6 minutes ago, Ham said:

Apropos of absolutely nothing you'd have to be insane not to appreciate that the team the manager is picking, and the substitutions he's making, have us 8 points clear. 

By the way. I love Fabregas but I also, at the same time, like and appreciate the work done by other players.

I also understand that balancing the best team dynamic doesn't always allow our 11 most talented players to start.  

Does that make me strange? 

Not at all, it shows you understand football. The best eleven players on paper isn't always the best team out on the pitch. 

Balance is everything and with Cesc in a midfield two the balance is thrown completely. Just look how easy we were sliced open time and time again last season. Only when Hiddink decided to play a very defensive and deep shape did that problem rectify slightly. 

352 is definitely an option if we want to use Cesc. Of course it will be at the cost of width and particularly options when we counter. But it's something that will have to be assessed from game to game. 

Away to Liverpool maybe a 352 with;

Courtois; Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill; Moses, Kante, Fabregas, Matic, Alonso; Costa, Hazard

could make sense. But then again I think there are some strong arguments for going with the tried and trusted 343.