• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Hull City 0

JaneB   
7 hours ago, kev61 said:

Thanks for that Jane however the injury changed my personality in a good way.I was an arrogant sod and was dismissive of 'weak' people.I married the sweetest woman that you will ever meet and my son was a youth international so I wouldn't change a thing.

Oh goodness I'm filling up here!  That's lovely :-)

18 hours ago, StebzAno said:

So he can receive his personal thank you from the fans.

Off. Not on. If the title is won and he is fit enough for a 90 minute shift, why sub him off at all? Surely a full match and then a walk around the ground after would be better to being hauled off in the 65th minute in a game that's largely pointless anyway. Title won of course.

7 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not at all, it shows you understand football. The best eleven players on paper isn't always the best team out on the pitch. 

Balance is everything and with Cesc in a midfield two the balance is thrown completely. Just look how easy we were sliced open time and time again last season. Only when Hiddink decided to play a very defensive and deep shape did that problem rectify slightly. 

Its true that we can sacrifice for balance. We sacrificed Juan Mata at one point to achieve balance and ultimately won a PL title afterwards. That JM team was undeniably a superbly balanced team.

What we have over the last few games isn't a balanced team however. Matic and Kante are presently not a great combination in the middle of the park.

We have had some terrific midfields in the past that bossed the biggest games with guys like Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Mikel, Makelele, even Deco for a short time... 

Matic and Kante are just not that great of a combination compared to what we have as the benchmark at this club over the years.

An argument can be made for a 3 man midfield at present, but even if its a 2 man midfield we plan to work with both Matic and Kante have tailed off form wise over the last month or so.

A midfield combination has to protect the back line but also has to be able to contribute to our build up play. In terms of our overall game, the stats may suggest otherwise, but we are one dimensional in our attack and that dimension doesnt exactly involve a midfield goal threat.

9 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Balance is everything and with Cesc in a midfield two the balance is thrown completely. Just look how easy we were sliced open time and time again last season. Only when Hiddink decided to play a very defensive and deep shape did that problem rectify slightly. 

Wasn't that when Hiddink dropped Matic for Mikel?  Oh yes it was.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Wasn't that when Hiddink dropped Matic for Mikel?  Oh yes it was.

And finished tenth .

Oh yes he did.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Up from 16th - do you have a point?

Yes.

Do you ?

kev61   
8 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Its true that we can sacrifice for balance. We sacrificed Juan Mata at one point to achieve balance and ultimately won a PL title afterwards. That JM team was undeniably a superbly balanced team.

What we have over the last few games isn't a balanced team however. Matic and Kante are presently not a great combination in the middle of the park.

We have had some terrific midfields in the past that bossed the biggest games with guys like Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Mikel, Makelele, even Deco for a short time... 

Matic and Kante are just not that great of a combination compared to what we have as the benchmark at this club over the years.

An argument can be made for a 3 man midfield at present, but even if its a 2 man midfield we plan to work with both Matic and Kante have tailed off form wise over the last month or so.

A midfield combination has to protect the back line but also has to be able to contribute to our build up play. In terms of our overall game, the stats may suggest otherwise, but we are one dimensional in our attack and that dimension doesnt exactly involve a midfield goal threat.

We "sacrificed Juan mata for balance"?no it was an act of lunacy by an 'unbalanced' manager.'Mata didn't track back enough and was too small' - even though the twice player of the year was the best player on the pitch for many of our matches.

Ham   
7 hours ago, kev61 said:

We "sacrificed Juan mata for balance"?no it was an act of lunacy by an 'unbalanced' manager.'Mata didn't track back enough and was too small' - even though the twice player of the year was the best player on the pitch for many of our matches.

That's exactly the point though Kev.  Mata was our best player but the best player doesn't always fit into the best formation. 

For what it's worth, I think Fabregas is one of the best midfielders of his type in the premier league.  I love the man but you cannot argue with the run we have been on since September where he had largely been used as an impact sub. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

That's exactly the point though Kev.  Mata was our best player but the best player doesn't always fit into the best formation. 

For what it's worth, I think Fabregas is one of the best midfielders of his type in the premier league.  I love the man but you cannot argue with the run we have been on since September where he had largely been used as an impact sub. 

Same here, I think , and have stated time and again that Fabregas is a quality player , however , we are better balanced without him at the moment especially when his particular skill set can be utilised so perfectly towards the end of games when the oppo has tired from chasing the game all day.

I'd love to see him in the side , however I'm going to defer to Conte on this one seeing as we're miles ahead of the chasing pack.