• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1

6 hours ago, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

This predictably veered off topic.

Anyone arguing that:

1. The football we played between August 2014-February 2015 wasn't spectacular and some of the most 'entertaining' we have ever produced.

And

2. Conte is not absolutely and directly responsible for an extraordinary turnaround this season.

...is very, very silly indeed.

This is incredibly hard to disagree with it mate. 

As usual being reasonable is your thing! 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

The first Golden Patch produced a team, the core of which took us to a 2008 CL final, a 2010 PL win, a 2012 CL win, and numerous other cups and 2nd places.   The second Golden patch took us to a 3rd place and (probably) 2 Pl wins in 4 years.  I feel certain that the current team will last another few years until 2020.

Probably the most ridiculous nonsense this century is the idea that JM does not build long term teams.

Given many here believe what signings were made were done so by "the committee", surely Emenalo and not Mourinho should get the credit for any successes?

On 2/2/2017 at 5:53 PM, NoblyBobly said:

I feel the need to point out that he won us the title (at a canter) the season before last.... that is not a long time back.  SD clearly referred to his second stint here where we had a really strong first season and a trophy plus League title the next. There definitely seems a willingness among some to brush over the good bits of his second spell here in order to paint the picture of him that they would like painted.

In fact Nobly, I had taken Dave to be referring to his first time here, when we did play some really good stuff. In the second stint, when we did win the league in the first season, our play was mostly  very uninspired I think, particularly in the second half of the season when we simply shut up shop, sat back on the lead we'd accumulated in the first half of the season and dragged ourselves over the line to win the title. Yes, we won the league, but I wouldn't say our play was anything to write home about.

The season which followed was just dreadful and it cost him his job. Throughout it, either by accident or design, he could/would not do anything to overcome the malaise.

On 2/3/2017 at 0:28 AM, Sleeping Dave said:

If you're claiming we did not play free-flowing football between August 2013 to February 2015 I'll call you a liar. A big fat liar with an agenda against the manager at the time, spouting critisism with absolutely zero foundation in reality. 

There I've said it. It can hardly be expressed any clearer and even though you may mask an alternative view with some lame rubbish like "oh but it's my opinion" it's rubbish and deep down you know it. 

End of. 

I don't know anything of the sort and I'm certainly not lying. I'm calling it as I saw it. You can hold a different opinion, as you will, given that you have your own agenda regarding JM of course.

Incidentally schoolboy, ending a post with "End of" is exactly akin to sticking your thumb in your mouth and saying "so there, yahbooh". Pretty childish I'm afraid.

On 2/3/2017 at 5:54 AM, kev61 said:

By the way we never played "free flowing football" under Mourhino,we won titles with his now outdated mind numbing football that other teams has cotton on to.

Exactly so Kev. 

On 2/3/2017 at 7:22 AM, Sleeping Dave said:

Hi Michael. I respectfully disagree calling someone a liar is an insult. I've seen far, far worse on here pass without as much as an raised eyebrow. I'd say it's my opinion that Pete is lying. 

By any objective measure what he's saying is a lie. It's simply not true regardless of how he's dressing it up as his opinion. And we both know why he's saying it. 

If we are to start passing any outlandish statement clearly made to instigate a heated discussion under the pretence that "it's my opinion" we are effectively leaving it open for people to troll the boards without being called out. Respectfully, I have seen yourself react quite strong and personal to other posters who've been equally unreasonable. So I must say I do feel your reaction to my post is a little bit unfair. 

But you're the admin so I'll have to try and take what you say onboard - which I will. 

I'm not a liar and you have no right to say so. In doing that you're simply saying that all people must agree with the view that JM teams played "free flowing football' and that certainly didn't do that in his second stint with us, even when we won the league. Also, as Kev has said, even in his first stint we played a counter-attacking game throughout his term of office.

On 2/3/2017 at 7:50 AM, chelsian2015 said:

I call this lawyers opinion, can you show me a successful team that played an unentertaining style and it increased their chances of winning as an example?

I know football tactics can be a philosophy debate, but isn't that kind of defensive tactics meant to increases the chances of not losing?

There are numerous examples from Italian league history, beginning with the "catenaccio" style introduced by Hellenio Herrera with Inter Milan. George Graham's Arsenal are another example and so are teams under JM.

Sciatika   

Big difference between assering that JM never played free flowing football and JM teams sometimes didn't play free flowing football.

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Given many here believe what signings were made were done so by "the committee", surely Emenalo and not Mourinho should get the credit for any successes?

Yes - we can thank Ranieri & Kenyon for some of the 2004 team, and the committee for the major changes we made after the JM mk1 needed replacing.  But it remains the case that the two teams that JM presided over have/will last for an extraordinary long time.  And the suggestion that things fell apart around the time he left is just plain daft.