Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Arsenal 1

184 posts in this topic

I'm torn on the first goal. There's no doubt the lower arm of Alonso smacks Bellerin in the face. There an ever so slightly forward movement by Alonso's arm that makes me, after having watched in several times, open to entertain the idea of a foul. To ask the ref to see it in real time though? Nearly impossible. 

The angle of Bellerin also makes it more difficult to judge. He's off balance when mid-air and that makes the collision worse. He basically fails to protect himself. Alonso doesn't have any ill-intentions.

Very tough call imo but I can see why Arsenal fans are complaining. 

I must say it felt a bit special on Saturday. First game after SFL announced retirement and a great banner produced in MHL. lots of old faces in the crowd.. (including the current Arsenal managers..teehee) and then a performance worthy of champions. It felt really good to be a Chelsea fan. 

^ Agreed. Still got the smile on my face. Met a Hull mate this morning and he seemed quite chipper, too.

8 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I'm torn on the first goal. There's no doubt the lower arm of Alonso smacks Bellerin in the face. There an ever so slightly forward movement by Alonso's arm that makes me, after having watched in several times, open to entertain the idea of a foul. To ask the ref to see it in real time though? Nearly impossible. 

The angle of Bellerin also makes it more difficult to judge. He's off balance when mid-air and that makes the collision worse. He basically fails to protect himself. Alonso doesn't have any ill-intentions.

Very tough call imo but I can see why Arsenal fans are complaining. 

No foul for me.... Alonso eyes were locked on that ball as they would and should in the circumstances. Bellerin unlucky but this is a contact sport.

Arsenal fans complain constantly, regardless of whether they have a point or not . People might pay a bit more attention if this wasn't the case. 

It seems I'm virtually a lone voice on the Alonso goal but as I said previously, I'm of course glad it wasn't given, just wouldn't have been surprised if it was on the grounds that a player led with his forearm which then hit the opponent on the side of the head, knocking him out. 

I'm certain Alonso's only thought was getting to the ball first but even so........

Alonso's goal is never a foul, gobsmacked it's even being discussed. If it had been the other way around I'd be just the same and actually angry with Alonso for not defending it better.

The analogy of someone going into a 50-50 without a run-up was spot-on.

11 minutes ago, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

Quote - this free paper isn't worth the cover price.

Chelsea have not secured the trophy yet, but ask fans who their five key players have been so far this term, Nemanja Matic would not be on most lists.

In all likelihood, Thibaut Courtois, David Luiz, N'Golo Kante, Eden Hazard and Diego Costa would come up most, with Cesar Azpilicueta, Victor Moses and Pedro not too far behind

Alonso, Cahill, Willian and Fabregas after those 8.  About right.  (and he'd be even lower on another forum).  

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Quote - this free paper isn't worth the cover price.

Alonso, Cahill, Willian and Fabregas after those 8.  About right.  (and he'd be even lower on another forum).  

Bit harsh , I thought you liked him.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Bit harsh , I thought you liked him.

Oh I do - great bloke no doubt.  Great attitude, and a real tryer, who plays through embarrassments that would destroy a lesser character (much like Kalou did).