Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Arsenal 1

184 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

How long did you take to make you mind up on JM?

About the same time as it took to make my mind up on you - but I don't like to boast about it😀

Edited by kev61
1 person likes this

Ok droy I thought it was only fair to watch the incident 4 more times to try and match your superior knowledge.my conclusion is - when you have a midget jumping against someone who is tall it is a mismatch.There is no intention by Alonso to foul or impede anyone - he just out jumped.

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

Ok droy I thought it was only fair to watch the incident 4 more times to try and match your superior knowledge.my conclusion is - when you have a midget jumping against someone who is tall it is a mismatch.There is no intention by Alonso to foul or impede anyone - he just out jumped.

Is intention part of the decision for a foul?  And does outjumping someone excuse knocking them over before you get to the ball?

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Is intention part of the decision for a foul?  And does outjumping someone excuse knocking them over before you get to the ball?

I believe that intention certainly used to be required in order to award a foul against the perpetrator? Wasn't/isn't  that the case?

I've always been of the opinion that a foul is a foul whether or not intent was there. I think that only the handball rule is the one where intent is decided by the ref; ball to hand, accidental, no offence; hand to ball, intentional, free kick.

First few times I watched it I thought it was a fair challenge. Not saying it's a definite foul now but it is a grey area.

The reason I'm swaying: If that's Gabriel on Costa on the half way line and it then led to a goal, we'd be shouting for it all day long. 

Alonso wins the ball fairly and, in the process of jumping, collides with Bellerin. It would be harsh to deny a goal, but on the flip side if that happens on the halfway line the ref blows for a freekick 9 times out of 10 IMO.

I remember Ramires being in possession of the ball in midfield , being slide tackled at 100mph by Delph and getting a red card for not getting out of the way quick enough. 

So I'll take a dubious elbow all day long 

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. Alonso reacts quicker, and jumps first, attacking nothing but the ball. Bellerin jumps a fraction later, but only jumps under Alonso. Bellerin barely goes above the armpit of Alonso, whose arms drop in the direction of natural movement,  and hits the Arsenal man. Alonso is not changing the direction of his movement of is body or arms in order to find Bellerin's face or head. So how can he foul someone who has got under the path of his natural movement, when he is the first up and first to the ball?

Alonso is already airbone by the time Bellerin starts his jump. The only way Alonso could have avoided Bellerin completely, in that situation, would have been to hang in the air with his hands stretched out, for another 5 seconds.

Edited by Blue Rod
missing words

6 hours ago, Sea foot said:

I've always been of the opinion that a foul is a foul whether or not intent was there. I think that only the handball rule is the one where intent is decided by the ref; ball to hand, accidental, no offence; hand to ball, intentional, free kick.

What about if a ball is goal bound and it hits a defenders arm/hand (ball to hand) on the line which prevents it going in the goal. That defender then takes his good fortune and boots the ball clear. Any punishment? I don't know the answer I'm just asking the various football minds out there.

While we are at it, what happens if a ball is crossed into the box and a player attempts a bicycle kick (Pele like) ,connects with the ball and scores, but also connects with the head of of a defender who is trying to clear the ball at head height and knocks him out cold. Goal or dangerous play? And what if same maneuver was done in the centre circle .