• Current Donation Goals

58 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Huh? We were pretty consistent in 14/15. After all we did lead the table from day 1. Our overall play this season has been fantastic, I am not saying it hasnt, what I am saying is creativity has been a problem in recent games. Especially away from home.  I would be worried if Conte is satisfied with the amount of chances we created against Liverpool and Burnley.  I dont think its anywhere enough. 

Yes but JM was in charge then so its null and void.

Back to the game, I don't think this result will matter in the big scheme of things (hopefully) but my old chestnut has raised it's ugly head again.

How many of our crosses into their box (and we must of had 20) found a Chelsea head/foot? None is the answer.How many times did we attack the flanks and get in behind them? None is the answer again.

You can have all the wide possession you want but unless you are aggressive or creative with it you might as well have Luiz pump the ball into the box from 60 yards and look for flick on's.

And another thing... we concede from open play very rarely so don't go fouling people in and around the box because any player who can hit a deadball can score. Courtois is not great when facing free kicks either so just don't give them the chance.   

Hugely entertaining game for the neutral - far more than some where we have won easily.  Full marks to Burnley for having a go and getting one point that might have been 3.  Not much to complain about the ref, Barnes and Barton might have been booked earlier, but apart from saving Willian from the late tackle by Barton, it would have had little impact on the result.

8 hours ago, chelboy said:

The main issue  in games like this is starting Fabregas or not.

I might have agreed not long ago.  But it seems rather the main issue is about not starting Matic now.

I see no one has come to his defence despite him getting quite a heavy going over on this thread (no doubt the noisy minority that calls itself consensus will emerge now).  I though this was his best game in the last 4 - yes he really has been that bad recently.  But if the team dominates the CM will always get the credit, and the reverse in games like this.  (And Kante was superb again, as an individual).

I'm not sure what Costa did wrong, and his through ball to set up Hazard very early on was superb.

Another day and Courtois saves their free kick.  But not the first time we have been matched for effort and ability, and more often than not we have nicked the points this season (just as we hardly ever did last season).

Thought that Courtois pretty much won us  a point for this one. We were really poor and hardly created anything clear cut. Burnley on the other hand had clear cut chances. 

Everyone will play a role over the course of the season and I think that Courtois really is doing his bit over the last few games. Credit where its due as I have not been generous in praising him since booting out one of my favourites in Petr Cech.

The team needs to improve to see out the title..

xCELERYx   
5 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Yes but JM was in charge then so its null and void.

Back to the game, I don't think this result will matter in the big scheme of things (hopefully) but my old chestnut has raised it's ugly head again.

How many of our crosses into their box (and we must of had 20) found a Chelsea head/foot? None is the answer.How many times did we attack the flanks and get in behind them? None is the answer again.

You can have all the wide possession you want but unless you are aggressive or creative with it you might as well have Luiz pump the ball into the box from 60 yards and look for flick on's.

And another thing... we concede from open play very rarely so don't go fouling people in and around the box because any player who can hit a deadball can score. Courtois is not great when facing free kicks either so just don't give them the chance.   

And there lies the problem with changing the 352 into a 343 to accommodate AM's opposed to another genuine CM and a CF.

A lack of a second CF means Costa (if he keeps his ass in the box to begin with) is the only target for the WB's to aim at. Keeping in mind he'll most times be against two CB's and potentially one of the fullbacks if they tuck in. The odds aren't favourable and exactly why having a second CF would make a hell of a difference, see Juventus with Mandzukic for example. Pedro and Hazard can push forward but they're not going to win headers, nor do the play far enough forward where they're able to actually run in behind often enough unless on the break. Both prefer to have ball into feet in deeper areas so they can turn and face up a defender to run at them. 

As for midfield. Having only two CM's means neither are really going to push far enough forward to make a run into the box because they've got their defensive duties to make sure we're not hit on the break, while also covering for the WB's who've pushed forward. Drafting in another CM would help negate this, as it would allow two to still sit back, while the third (see a Vidal for example) push up into the box and become a goal threat. 

Having two AM's kind of limits us in attack ironically enough. The slight adjusting that's needed has a bit of a flow on effect elsewhere on the pitch.

TBF - Brady's free kick was impeccable. I don't see many getting near it, let alone saving it. Credit where due, and Burnley were excellently drilled and organised.

Not our greatest performance yesterday but not a disaster either. We were just a little under par and Burnley played very well which caused us problems. They played very good long balls into the channels behind our wing backs and were hard but mostly fair in the middle (the exception of course being the sly c543 Barnes with his elbow).From our perspective our passing from the back and final ball was not as good as it has been this season. Overall we got what we deserved a little like the Liverpool game but you felt we might have lost it also. Hopefully we now kick on and put another run together which will bring the Championship home, one game at a time.

Enjoyable game to watch, but not as Chelsea fan.

I would say that, on balance, Burnley deserve credit more than we deserve criticism. Certainly Conte shouldn't be criticised IMO - he threw the kitchen sink at it, if a little late.

Matic will get a lot of stick - rightly so - for his laboured attempts to win the ball back which resulted in their goal. But then again you can't legislate for such quality from Brady.

Lessons learned hopefully and renewed focus that every game is a battle here on in. Would rather be 8 points clear than 8 points back.   

Jasonb   

I think Dyche did a number on us, both City and Arsenal won at Burnley and as I said before Conte needs to change something tactically, we are now predictable. Teams know what to expect most still wont be good enough to stop us but a number will.

If City win tonight the EPL is still up for grabs.

We need to get back to wining and who is next Swansea, on a good run of results under new manager Clements and capable of getting results.

If we were in the middle of the pack of 6, I may be a little more concerned about not beating a spirited, barton driven burnley team on their turf but we have been more consistent than anyone this season hence the 10 point gap and so I can sleep well at night and dont understand the negative feelings here. We all have to play each other a number of times, win the 2 we have and nobody can touch us

Holymoly   

This isn't Scotland, and we're not Celtic. We're not expected to win every game. The cup competitions begin to hit again from here on in so we should gain a few points over the pack again over the next few weeks.

kev61   
18 hours ago, zaffo said:

TBF - Brady's free kick was impeccable. I don't see many getting near it, let alone saving it. Credit where due, and Burnley were excellently drilled and organised.

This is were I disagree Zaffo.The free kick was not "impeccable" De Gea would have saved it.Courtiois is a good shot stopper but  his agility is poor.I must admit I have been underwhelmed by him and seems wooden in his anticipation IMO.

Edited by kev61