Michael Tucker

Burnley 1 Chelsea 1

179 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, kev61 said:

This is were I disagree Zaffo.The free kick was not "impeccable" De Gea would have saved it.Courtiois is a good shot stopper but  his agility is poor.I must admit I have been underwhelmed by him and seems wooden in his anticipation IMO.

Wow!  I'd estimate we'd be 10pts worse off without him this season. He has been excellent. 

The free kick was perfect.  That's not up for discussion. 

On 12/02/2017 at 10:53 PM, chelsian2015 said:

Nothing looks strange, as expected, and no matter how some people try to hide the truth, the truth will revail. Faber brings more quality to the team than Matic, Faber brings more attack chances than Matic, and Faber is more consistent than Matic. Matic makes unnecessary fouls , its very costy, and if the reason of his existance is his defense service, I can't really see it.

Now, I should loudly say this, Houston we have a problem. Costa is not happy playing for Chelsea, this is not one of his bad days, since we've seen them, and Its someone else wearing Costa's shirt playing today. This is an ethical responsibilty for every player to give their best till they take off their shirt and play for other teams, and for a professional in that huge size its a shame.

Its not strange to see our overall performance degrades to Burnely, we are in the decline stage of our limits,we still ahead, and if the players dream of anything great in their CV , they should give their best for the next few games.

Everbody else was excellent, ref was biased clearly, and one point is better than nothing.

Chelsea is the Champion no doubt     

Completely agree with your points. I am not a Matic basher, but I find him very unreliable.  It wasn't just the free kick that he conceded, his whole demeanour on the pitch reminded me of how he was last season even after Guus Hiddink took over.  

Also agree on Costa. I think his performance and work rate has dropped since the controversy.  His body language looks negative and he looks less focused.  He's not running as he used to. 

I always believed City were the team to put us under pressure. And I said before that anything short of a win at Burnley is bad for us psychologically.  We are beginning to talk more seriously  about the results of our rivals. That is anot important shift in mindset from the week before.

I think Conte needs to make important decisions on players and tactics. In hindsight, Fabregas could have offered a lot more than Matic in this match. Costa might need a rest.  

24 minutes ago, Ham said:

Wow!  I'd estimate we'd be 10pts worse off without him this season. He has been excellent. 

The free kick was perfect.  That's not up for discussion

why?

On a different day Courtiois would have saved it.

58 minutes ago, Ham said:

The thing is put yourself in courtois's position - two things are likely - the free taker will try and put the ball in either corner of the net,a good goal keeper should only need to see a glimpse of where it is going and react accordingly,courthois looks lost in that scenario

3 hours ago, Ham said:

I agree, last season it was Willian who saved us a face, and this season it was Courtiois. The table will tell you that, he went through 25 games (and that is enough test sample), they only scored 18 goals at him, the only goalkeeper to match his excellent standards is Hugo Lloris, but thats not all. Courtiois is a setting duck, he did this excellent job securing our goal without the help of a proper defensive line, and we know we have a bad line apart from our hero the bus driver. So why would anyone want to criticise the best goalkeeper in the EPL.  

Goalkeepers.JPG

One of those games really. I know the stats say that we didn't get a shot on target in the second half but it think that's a bit misleading. It was amazing the number of times we put crosses in which were partially cleared and fell to a Burnley player to fully clear. If one of those falls to a Chelsea foot, it could have been different.

Additionally, I thought we overplayed at the edge of the box. Often we took too many touches, or tried to switch it to the other foot before getting crowded out. Sometimes you should just shoot at the first opportunity and a packed penalty box could see a deflection working in your favour. On other occasions, in good positions, we just shanked shots on goal. Pedro and Cesc's first time shots come to mind. Could have been different, one of those days. Point's a decent result though, I'll take it.

I'll give credit to Burnley. They worked hard and made it difficult for us. I really thought they would tire by the end but they kept going, which was surprising. They were allowed to kick us off the pitch though, which is normal I suppose.

Credit to Conte too; he tried to change it up, brought on Cesc with half an hour to go (though he should have started), and went to 4-2-4 to try to win it. You could tell he was disappointed not to win.

City, with their win, have remained in it (they were 90 seconds away last week from almost being out of it). 8 point lead, which is really 9 when you take the +12 goal difference into account. Generally, I think we just need to win the majority of our home games (7 at home) and get about 10 points away (6 away) to seal it. One game at a time though.

5 hours ago, earthshine said:

why?

On a different day Courtiois would have saved it.

No he doesn't. With the position of the wall and that ball placement, it's unsavable.  Add the pace on the ball and the fact that it was a yard wide until the very last split second and you have the perfect free kick. 

Thibaut very nearly got to it. That was impressive in itself. 

We need to be worried, not just because City (who most people had wrote off) are now finding form, but because of our performances away from home.

in the games against Liverpool and Burnley we barely created anything, and seemed to think that going a goal up in both of those games, that we had done enough.

Liverpool away we let them back in it, (Costa missed the penalty to win it, but I don't think we forced their keeper into a save in the second half), Hazard went missing.

Then we smashed Arsenal.

But then away at Burnley, we go a goal up in 7 mins and and then fail to have another shot on target in the remaining 83 mins.Costa going back to his old trick of drifting out of the penalty area and the ball being put in the box and he is nowhere to be seen.

A point away at Burnley is NOT a good result (despite what some on here will tell you), especially with city strolling to victory at Bournemouth.

I don't see us losing many games, but it only takes 3 draws and city win at the same time as our draws and the gap would be down to 2 points.

The manager needs to trust other players, Luiz is clearly injured,Alonso and Moses look like they could do with a break, Hazard and Costa aren't playing anywhere near their top form, other players need to be given a chance.

look at the next fixtures in the league.

we play Swansea at home, city don't play. City go to Sunderland and we go away to west ham (points to be dropped?),City then play at home to stoke, we play watford 2 days later(again we could drop points),we then go away to stoke(where we struggle), city play at home to a tiring Liverpool.

we then play palace at home(who we should beat, but could be a banana skin) while city go to the bottlers Arsenal.

Then it's us against them, as I've said the gap could only be 2 points by then

19 minutes ago, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

look at the next fixtures in the league.

we play Swansea at home, city don't play. City go to Sunderland and we go away to west ham (points to be dropped?),City then play at home to stoke, we play watford 2 days later(again we could drop points),we then go away to stoke(where we struggle), city play at home to a tiring Liverpool.

we then play palace at home(who we should beat, but could be a banana skin) while city go to the bottlers Arsenal.

Then it's us against them, as I've said the gap could only be 2 points by then

You've spun everything in Citeh's favour here.  You could argue the opposite in nearly all of the fixtures you've highlighted. 

Just now, Ham said:

You've spun everything in Citeh's favour here.  You could argue the opposite in nearly all of the fixtures you've highlighted. 

Exactly