• Current Donation Goals

chelboy   

I honestly don't think we should be looking at City as our challengers. For me the main threat is Tottenham. Their fixture list is the best out of the top 6. They could win at least TEN of the remaining fixtures. Which could give them 80+ pts.  City have too many difficult fixtures and many of them are 6 pointers, can not see them winning all of them. Plus they will give a big push in CL hopefully. 

Spurs on the other hand would have extra motivation after what we did to them last season.  They have only lost 3 games this season all away against top teams. The last top 6 teams they play both at home. I am sure they will win both. Tottenham are ahead of schedule points wise even if they are 10 points behind . Its just that we are way ahead of schedule too. If we were on 52/54 points I would favour Tottenham to win the title. The only way I could see them flooping is tiredness. 

Edited by chelboy

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, chelboy said:

I honestly don't think we should be looking at City as our challengers. For me the main threat is Tottenham. Their fixture list is the best out of the top 6. They could win at least TEN of the remaining fixtures. Which could give them 80+ pts.  City have too many difficult fixtures and many of them are 6 pointers, can not see them winning all of them. Plus they will give a big push in CL hopefully. 

Spurs on the other hand would have extra motivation after what we did to them last season.  They have only lost 3 games this season all away against top teams. The last top 6 teams they play both at home. I am sure they will win both. Tottenham are ahead of schedule points wise even if they are 10 points behind . Its just that we are way ahead of schedule too. If we were on 52/54 points I would favour Tottenham to win the title. The only way I could see them flooping is tiredness. 

The only reason I pick out City is because they are the only team, apart from us, capable of putting together a few wins in a spin. Spurs are never going to go on a run of wins. Obviously I don't want to be proven wrong But you don't win the title by drawing matches, you win by taking 3pts game after game. I can't remember the last time Spurs did that consistently.

We do need to return to our A game, then we can worry less about the chasing pack. No disrespect to Burnley, but the work rate that we put out there was nowhere near title winning level. And we kept trying the same crosses, the same runs, the same speed, the same passes for 90 min. And I would add, the same players. 

9 hours ago, earthshine said:

why?

On a different day Courtiois would have saved it.

Yes - though he might have missed other chances he has saved recently.  
I think I am agreeing with you - he has been very good recently and saved a very high proportion of the saveable chances.

2 hours ago, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

We need to be worried, not just because City (who most people had wrote off) are now finding form, but because of our performances away from home.

Worried overstates it (except for the "we never win unless I worry" superstition that we all share at times).
But certainly City have always been the team that might start playing a lot better, while Spurs and Liverpool were always teams that probably could not maintain their form over the whole season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ham said:

You've spun everything in Citeh's favour here.  You could argue the opposite in nearly all of the fixtures you've highlighted. 

Ham,

I hope your right, BUT the way we've played in the last two away games, going a goal up and then creating nothing, and getting only a point from each of those, players looking tired or in Luizs case playing with an injury.

it only takes a bad reffing decision (we must be due) or a couple of injuries and things can turn quickly.

city will take at least 9 points from their next 4 games.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:52 PM, StebzAno said:

The pressure on winning the league from this position is huge now.

If Chelsea somehow throw it away from here it will be one of the worst collapses in Premier League history and Conte and the players wouldn't survive that.

It could happen though if Chelsea don't focus and Costa doesn't start banging them in again!  Come on Chelsea!

chelboy   
2 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

The only reason I pick out City is because they are the only team, apart from us, capable of putting together a few wins in a spin. Spurs are never going to go on a run of wins. Obviously I don't want to be proven wrong But you don't win the title by drawing matches, you win by taking 3pts game after game. I can't remember the last time Spurs did that consistently.

City might put a few wins together but I am quite sure Spurs will finish above them.  They are just on a decent run beating teams I would expect them to beat. Its when they play Liverpool, Arsenal and us within 2 weeks of eachother plus they may also have Europe to watch out for. City have a very intensive March-April to consider, they are making up for lost points which they will drop in that period. I dont think City will win any of those 3 games mentioned. Maybe 1 with some slight luck but definitely not all 3. They also have the Manchester derby. In Spurs fixture list I only saw 1 difficult game and that would be United at home. They will beat Arsenal at WHL. Other than that many teams they play are mid table teams or teams that would probably be safe or relegated at the time they play them. The timing of the teams they play is very good.

Jasonb   

I'm with Blue Rod, until we start winning and scoring more than goal I remain sceptical.

Sea foot   
1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

I'm with Blue Rod, until we start winning and scoring more than goal I remain sceptical.

??? 

Since the loss to the spuds, we've scored over 2.5 goals per game.

Since the bad loss to Arsenal, we've scored over 2.3 goals per game.

Since the start of the season, we've scored more than 2 goals per game in the toughest league in the world.

My questions are; what do people watch and what did people expect this season. Consensus was that top 4 would be acceptable, well we seem to be doing so much better than that.  I read someone saying that if Man C. win on Monday we would be "only"  8 points ahead. If I'd have offered anyone that at the start of the season I wouldn't have any hands left.

We are playing well, we can play better and I believe we will play better. 

I am pro Conte. I am/was pro Mourinho. Unlike some, I don't think you have to hoist your flag on one flagpole and try to shoot down the other. This, for me, is one of our best seasons ever as it came from out of the blue so, although I can understand a bit of nervousness, I find some of these negative comments a tad bewildering.

StebzAno   
8 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

This, for me, is one of our best seasons ever as it came from out of the blue so, although I can understand a bit of nervousness, I find some of these negative comments a tad bewildering.

Agree about expectations versus reality.  A lot of teams still claim to be in a transitional phase a few seasons after their slump / change in management and have not yet really impressed.  This IS our year of transition having been nursed through by Hiddink to complete a much wanted to be forgotten season.  And how have we done within it? We're top, quite convincingly.

I guess the fear is that we have been sat atop the perch for so long that it would equally be a disaster to lose out on the title in the final months of the season.  I think maybe it would've been a lot easier to swallow losing a title, if the other teams put up more of a challenge, and the title was decided at the last throw of the dice.

Because of our dominance of position #1, we face all teams playing a "let's stop them from taking all three points" whether they have a position to play for or not, so it won't be easy from here on, especially if fatigue kicks in.

So I can see why there is panic, but we should be grateful for what we have achieved to date, and certainly being rashly critical of players or manager is nonsensical.

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, StebzAno said:

Agree about expectations versus reality.  A lot of teams still claim to be in a transitional phase a few seasons after their slump / change in management and have not yet really impressed.  This IS our year of transition having been nursed through by Hiddink to complete a much wanted to be forgotten season.  And how have we done within it? We're top, quite convincingly.

I guess the fear is that we have been sat atop the perch for so long that it would equally be a disaster to lose out on the title in the final months of the season.  I think maybe it would've been a lot easier to swallow losing a title, if the other teams put up more of a challenge, and the title was decided at the last throw of the dice.

Because of our dominance of position #1, we face all teams playing a "let's stop them from taking all three points" whether they have a position to play for or not, so it won't be easy from here on, especially if fatigue kicks in.

So I can see why there is panic, but we should be grateful for what we have achieved to date, and certainly being rashly critical of players or manager is nonsensical.

I don't see anyone being critical of Conte, not a single member of this forum. Even Droy is now standing in the right place, or at least thinks we may just be. The truth of the matter is, we have busted our guts to get here against all expectations. We are not prepared to just roll over and start talking about top 4. 

I make no apology for my criticism of the shenanigans of Jose Mourinho. We've moved on. And if Conte was to drag us down that path I would do the same. We are in transition, which we all agree is going miles better than we ever imagined. But we want to win the bloody thing, now that we've come this close. We are now talking about how we can make sure we don't slip up in this final 3rd. There will be frank exchange of opinions. But that's only for the better. 

Edited by Blue Rod