Michael Tucker

Burnley 1 Chelsea 1

179 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Sea foot said:

??? 

Since the loss to the spuds, we've scored over 2.5 goals per game.

Since the bad loss to Arsenal, we've scored over 2.3 goals per game.

Since the start of the season, we've scored more than 2 goals per game in the toughest league in the world.

My questions are; what do people watch and what did people expect this season. Consensus was that top 4 would be acceptable, well we seem to be doing so much better than that.  I read someone saying that if Man C. win on Monday we would be "only"  8 points ahead. If I'd have offered anyone that at the start of the season I wouldn't have any hands left.

We are playing well, we can play better and I believe we will play better. 

I am pro Conte. I am/was pro Mourinho. Unlike some, I don't think you have to hoist your flag on one flagpole and try to shoot down the other. This, for me, is one of our best seasons ever as it came from out of the blue so, although I can understand a bit of nervousness, I find some of these negative comments a tad bewildering.

For me football is about current form and we have drawn our last two away games in the EPL despite taking the lead.

For me that is not a sign that warrants confidence. 

27 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

For me football is about current form and we have drawn our last two away games in the EPL despite taking the lead.

For me that is not a sign that warrants confidence. 

I think you need to bear in mind that they were away games at Liverpool , who take points from all the "big" teams and play those games as if to prove to themselves that they are still relevant and Burnley who have earned all but one solitary point from games played at Turf Moor this season.

We are not alone in dropping points there , even if the performances have been a bit flat 

anyone worried about Costa's form since the China rumours? I haven't watched the Burnley match, but the Liverpool and  Arsenal matches it seemed like he was reverting back to his last season form. I.e crap

Edited by Diddymen

Elements of the press have commented that Costa has not performed  as well post the China incident to pre this talk.

I notice today we are being told he has signed a new deal.

If he scores a hatrick in his next match that would raise an interesting question.

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think you need to bear in mind that they were away games at Liverpool , who take points from all the "big" teams and play those games as if to prove to themselves that they are still relevant and Burnley who have earned all but one solitary point from games played at Turf Moor this season.

We are not alone in dropping points there , even if the performances have been a bit flat 

Mark I was thinking similar yet Liverpool were not at full strength and Burnley have lost at home to two of the top six already, one being Arsenal.

42 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Mark I was thinking similar yet Liverpool were not at full strength and Burnley have lost at home to two of the top six already, one being Arsenal.

I know exactly where you're coming from , both performances were a bit pedestrian , but lets see how we cope in the next few weeks . 

I think a few sides have maybe sussed us out a bit and we are far from the finished article but I still believe we will win the league as it stands.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Elements of the press have commented that Costa has not performed  as well post the China incident to pre this talk.

I notice today we are being told he has signed a new deal.

If he scores a hatrick in his next match that would raise an interesting question.

Don't know what to make of a player who only plays well when he's looking East or after he's just signed a contract. It won't be long before Jorge Mendes is up to his tricks again.

I would be happy for Costa to put on his best and bring home the title, then in the summer go whereever he pleases. 

People keep going on about our dip in form.There is no dip in form  -  A dip in results maybe; that every team has went through in the premiership.

On 2/12/2017 at 3:35 PM, Mark Kelly said:

At the end of the day ,  Burnley have proven once again why they win 90% of their points at home.

Partisan crowd coupled with a scared referee is always a recipe for kick kick and kick again football.

We were excellent for six minutes and crap for the rest.

Sums it up for me. In the first half in particular, they kicked us whenever we attacked and the ref did nothing. Even our goal could have led to a booking for the guy who tried and failed to stop Moses with a swipe. Hazard went on a dribble shortly after and two players tried and failed to wipe him out and nothing was said because he kept going. In the second half Hazard looked petrified every time he got the ball and shifted it early. I don't blame him.

Alan smith in the post match analysis, "the ref did well to keep the game flowing" - what actually happened was the game kept flowing because the ref did nothing. 

On 2/12/2017 at 3:52 PM, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

‪Very frustrating, didn't deserve to win today. Matic has a lot to answer for. 10 points clear as it stands though.

Agreed. Second half was very poor. 

On 2/12/2017 at 7:52 PM, StebzAno said:

And in to 2nd place.  That was sneaky, where did that come from?  I'd already written them off.

Although you almost have to feel sorry for them and their fixtures next month.  They have Champions League, Liverpool and Arsenal before coming to us at the bridge... all within three weeks.

Not really. They have spent a fortune over the last few years and should have a near perfect, massive squad. The fact they have squandered millions on ordinary players is their own fault. 

On 2/13/2017 at 0:25 AM, NoblyBobly said:

And another thing... we concede from open play very rarely so don't go fouling people in and around the box because any player who can hit a deadball can score. Courtois is not great when facing free kicks either so just don't give them the chance.   

this was the first direct free kick we have conceded in the PL for 4 or 5 years (I forget the exact stat they trotted out on Sky). He can't be bad on free kicks if this is the first one to have gone in since he joined. 

On 2/13/2017 at 0:33 PM, Holymoly said:

This isn't Scotland, and we're not Celtic. We're not expected to win every game. The cup competitions begin to hit again from here on in so we should gain a few points over the pack again over the next few weeks.

Correct. People who expect us to win every game are stupid. 

On 2/14/2017 at 1:09 AM, kev61 said:

This is were I disagree Zaffo.The free kick was not "impeccable" De Gea would have saved it.Courtiois is a good shot stopper but  his agility is poor.I must admit I have been underwhelmed by him and seems wooden in his anticipation IMO.

As per previous post - first free kick he has conceded for us. The free kick itself was pretty perfect and we have no idea whether De Gea would have saved it or not. Either way, this is all somewhat irrelevant as it is hardly his fault we managed only 2 shots on target in the whole game, both in the first 6 minutes. 

On 2/14/2017 at 1:24 AM, Ham said:

Wow!  I'd estimate we'd be 10pts worse off without him this season. He has been excellent. 

The free kick was perfect.  That's not up for discussion. 

Bingo. Although 10 points might be generous. He is and was a critical part in the 13 game winning streak. He has been pretty flawless this season IMO. 

On 2/14/2017 at 8:47 AM, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

We need to be worried, not just because City (who most people had wrote off) are now finding form, but because of our performances away from home.

in the games against Liverpool and Burnley we barely created anything, and seemed to think that going a goal up in both of those games, that we had done enough.

Liverpool away we let them back in it, (Costa missed the penalty to win it, but I don't think we forced their keeper into a save in the second half), Hazard went missing.

Then we smashed Arsenal.

But then away at Burnley, we go a goal up in 7 mins and and then fail to have another shot on target in the remaining 83 mins.Costa going back to his old trick of drifting out of the penalty area and the ball being put in the box and he is nowhere to be seen.

A point away at Burnley is NOT a good result (despite what some on here will tell you), especially with city strolling to victory at Bournemouth.

I don't see us losing many games, but it only takes 3 draws and city win at the same time as our draws and the gap would be down to 2 points.

The manager needs to trust other players, Luiz is clearly injured,Alonso and Moses look like they could do with a break, Hazard and Costa aren't playing anywhere near their top form, other players need to be given a chance.

look at the next fixtures in the league.

we play Swansea at home, city don't play. City go to Sunderland and we go away to west ham (points to be dropped?),City then play at home to stoke, we play watford 2 days later(again we could drop points),we then go away to stoke(where we struggle), city play at home to a tiring Liverpool.

we then play palace at home(who we should beat, but could be a banana skin) while city go to the bottlers Arsenal.

Then it's us against them, as I've said the gap could only be 2 points by then

Yes, if we draw all our games and City win all of theirs, they will narrow the gap. Well done. You should work for Sky.

BTW, Burnley have the 3rd best home record in the division, so only one team other than us, has a better home record. On that basis, you could argue this was our second hardest away game of the season 

On 2/15/2017 at 2:38 PM, Jasonb said:

Yes, Arsenal won 1-0 with an offside, handball goal from a corner. If we'd had that luck, we'd have won too.

City also won there 2-1 with two scrappy goals. 

It is a tough place to go. 3rd best home record in the PL for a reason