Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul Mcgoochan

SuperBowl LI

23 posts in this topic

I started watching it to see what all the fuss was about, but I get bored and switched off as soon as I realised Lady Gaga was about to make a noise. What I want to know is why were there no subtitles on either the BBC or C4 coverage? When they show foreign language films or TV series they have subtitles... does the foreign language subtitle budget not run to the sport department?

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, Bob Singleton said:

I started watching it to see what all the fuss was about, but I get bored and switched off as soon as I realised Lady Gaga was about to make a noise. What I want to know is why were there no subtitles on either the BBC or C4 coverage? When they show foreign language films or TV series they have subtitles... does the foreign language subtitle budget not run to the sport department?

Sigh...Oh Bob..I love living here but the subtitle issues are endless in day to day living..I have been here since '99 but still have to be careful with my speech patterns...it's not such a problem from "them" to me but for example "pissed' doesn't have any relation to drink and of course the glaring football/soccer divide is forever...I resent calling football soccer..or "SuCCOR" but...

10 hours ago, chara said:

Sigh...Oh Bob..I love living here but the subtitle issues are endless in day to day living..I have been here since '99 but still have to be careful with my speech patterns...it's not such a problem from "them" to me but for example "pissed' doesn't have any relation to drink and of course the glaring football/soccer divide is forever...I resent calling football soccer..or "SuCCOR" but...

One thing I objected to were British sports commentators on British channels transmitted into British sitting rooms, pronouncing defence 'dee-fence' in order not to confuse their guests by pronouncing things correctly.

Occasionally watch on streams and visits to US. What I object to is some US commentator, flushed with joy in the wake of the Superbowl, telling me why "are teams got are tactics all wrang". He may be right, but it still grates. Wish they'd stick to Rounders and Netball.

I think that if some of you learned the rules of the game you'd actually like it.  The Superbowl would have been a great place to start as it was an absolute classic.

14 minutes ago, Ham said:

I think that if some of you learned the rules of the game you'd actually like it.  The Superbowl would have been a great place to start as it was an absolute classic.

With proper sports like football, rugby union and cricket, there's enough for me to watch without wasting my time learning the rules of things like American "football", baseball and basketball. Other than the blues and Motown, nothing worthwhile has come out of the USA in its 200 odd year history. Which is a shame, as American 'culture' is all-pervading and makes the rest of the world all the poorer for it.

4 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

With proper sports like football, rugby union and cricket, there's enough for me to watch without wasting my time learning the rules of things like American "football", baseball and basketball. Other than the blues and Motown, nothing worthwhile has come out of the USA in its 200 odd year history. Which is a shame, as American 'culture' is all-pervading and makes the rest of the world all the poorer for it.

With Football and Football I certainly agree.  But Basketball and Baseball (and Ice hockey) are certainly a lot simpler to understand than Rugby and Cricket.  I played Rugby (union) at school for 5 years and now find the modern rules a struggle.  I think cricket still baffles a lot of Brits.

17 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

It's a good thing you've dismissed an entire nation and its inhabitants from the Western world as you'd be in trouble otherwise.

Well guys!....something of a "different" debate going on here...very interesting and entertaining without the infighting of a Chelsea post!

Being a competitor from way back I enjoy most real competitive sports probably on a casual viewing basis and although I have had relentless Monday morning quarterbacking from those who have followed "football" since childhood I can enjoy the game without really appreciating the nuances.

With the real football I can understand the nuances as most of the posters here can and do, even with disagreements the essence of the game runs deep.

My other annoyance is the relentless hyping of SBowl and the "World Series" and comments to the effect t (misquote but) "The World Champion Patriots"  and the concept of "World Series" baseball as if all the world has been competing in the sports. We may criticize the World Cup but it is truly a global competition.

I appreciated for example Michael Jorden but basketball fails to grip me except for the final few minutes!!

^

Yeah.   The biggest baseball competition in one country is called the World Series. The biggest tennis competition in the Universe for the best players from any country is called Wimbledon. 

self-deprecation rules uk