Michael Tucker

Wolves 0 Chelsea 2

123 posts in this topic

Would bring off Pedro, he's on a yellow. Maybe give Kennedy a run.

oh dear... is Matic available?

Until we scored, I could see us joining the long list of EPL teams that faltered today...

Well we sure made hard work of that. First half was absolutely dreadful with Hazard looking completely uninterested and Zouma very clumsy. I thought Chalobah struggled today and the difference in quality between Courtois and Begovic is stark. 

It's clear that Pedro is a brilliant player and a real workhorse but he is not an option at wing back. Helder Costa was ripping him to pieces and as soon as we moved Ake, who was excellent all game, to LWB their entire attacking threat died immediately. At least Antonio has discovered this in a relatively low risk game and surely will not be trialling it again.  

Moses was tireless and a real threat up until the moment he had to deliver a cross or pass. Really frustrating performance from him and it seemed he was thinking too much about what he was going to do. He dithered a lot today and sometimes all he needed to do was drive to the byline and drill in a low cross. 

Onto the positives, in the second half both Hazard and Zouma were much better and I thought Terry was excellent for the whole game. I did note though how deep we were sitting and sadly I think this had an impact on our poor first half performance.  

Costa was much, much better today. Ran selflessly into the channels and battled away even though he is still not at his absolute best. The key thing today was his attitude and besides his goal he had a big impact in the Pedro goal. He was back to playing on the last shoulder and to be fair you would be if you had Fabregas behind you. 

Lastly I have to mention Cesc who was yet again the best player on the pitch. There was no need for both Kante and Matic against Burnley and we certainly would've created far more if he had have been on from the start last week. For me I would like to see a 352 in bigger games and a Kante/Fabregas combo in against the lesser sides starting against Swansea next week. Today he was sublime with the only blemish being the chance he should have finished at the end. 

Edited by samhoward17

Hard to say Cesc was the best player on the pitch. Thought Ake and Terry had the best performances. What was clear to see  is that we have the option of playing the ball in behind when Cesc is there. Gives us a different edge to our play, not everything is to feet. He gave Willian two clear cut chances today. Our 1st goal also started from a pass in behind. When all your passing is to feet it's hard to stretch teams.

Wolves completely ran out of gas by the 70th minute, happy with that considering how they beat Liverpool.