• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

Blue Rod   

It wasn't an easy game at all. Swansea were able to get all their men behind the ball whenever we threatened to  put them on the run. They did that even after they went down.  I think they'll do well under Paul Clement. 

That was top top performance from Hazard. Not sure we would have won without him. Second in rating was Kante. He did his job and that of a few other midfielders in the team. Impressive. Next season through, we will need another central midfielder who can at least cover half the ground and win half as many tackles as Kante.  

We can't depend on one little man to do all the DM work and then slag him off in the odd match when he turns up knackered. I don't think Matic got near a tackle after he came on. He didn't show the intensity of someone who was brought in to do a job. That our defensive midfield did not suffer in his absence suggest that we should now consider him second choice to Fabergas in more matches than we've done so far. 

Costa was well below par, as he has been since the Chinese thing came out. Didn't make the runs to create space for a pass.  And when the passes failed to turn up he seemed to blame his team mates rather than himself. 

Fabregas played well, adapted to a slightly different role as he was provided with few targets for his trademark pass.

We didn't play too badly.  However some key players need to up their game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Am I right in thinking you're saying Fabregas has been better than Lampard ?

This season and 14/15 - yeah.  I think if you asked people privately you'd find that is a consensus season.  
But doing if for 2 years is not the same as being the better player or having a better career.

Still if you want to take a controversial view on it - go ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could Fabregas be the key to tying up the title? I need to see more but it seems like teams have figured that the best way to beat us is to push players up in the areas behind our full backs. Very effective because it puts a lot of pressure on our back 3/5 and makes things more complicated than before. Again I'm speculating because it hard to judge from the TV, but it seems like Conte has countered this by using Fabregas as a deterrent. A "you want to empty the middle and fill the flanks? Ok let's see what one of the worlds best passers can do with two, three more seconds on the ball" answer. With him on the pitch, there will be a lot, a lot, of chances to play deep through balls to Costa/Hazard/Pedro. Interesting. 

Edited by Ibn Battuta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jones said:

This was brilliant! Fabregas gets the MotM because of his decisiveness, but how good was Kanté?? Has clearly upped his game in the last couple of games. Even more impressive performance given he played with the less defensively capable Fabregas. The preferred duo going forward?

Azpi and Pedro at their reliably brilliant usual. They are just perfect fits for this formation. I would say Azpilicueta is the first name on the EPL team of the year sheet. Miles ahead any RB (or RCB) in this league.

Costa and Hazard were good, and slightly better than their current form curve. Positive, but hopefully they will both raise their game even further. We need that.

A little underwhelmed by Moses lately. Has for sure dropped in performance levels compared to when he was flying a couple of months ago. Will for sure be interesting to see what kind of competition Conte will add at RWB in the summer. 

Alonso and Cahill with a usual consistent performance.

Great header by Llorente, really impressive. But a 100 % focused Courtois would have saved it. Not blaming him, but that would never have gone in had it been a CL final.

I can really picture Llorente coming here in the summer though. Michy for sure will go on loan, and we need someone who can play the complete forward role in place of Costa. While we bulk up with loan army players, experience is needed. 

I agree with pretty much all of this. For me, Cesc should be one of the first names on the teamsheet for these types of games and Moses will probably end up as a squad player next season as back-up RWB and 5th choice AM. Looking forward to next season I would really want to see a squad along the lines of: 

GK - Courtois, GK2, Eduardo

CB - Luiz, Dave, Cahill, Christensen, Van Djik, Ake 

WB - Sidibie, Alonso, Moses + Ake

CM - Kante, Veratti/Vidal, Cesc, Matic, Nate

AM - Hazard, New AM, Pedro, Willian + Moses

CF - Costa, New CF, Bats/3rd CF

Loaned out first team - Zouma, RLC

Sold first team - Begovic, Bats

I can see some people arguing LWB will still be an issue but for me, owing to Alonso's remit appearing to be Hazard's foil, I do not see us going for a proper LWB and we will rather stick with more defensively minded LWB's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

This season and 14/15 - yeah.  I think if you asked people privately you'd find that is a consensus season.  
But doing if for 2 years is not the same as being the better player or having a better career.

Still if you want to take a controversial view on it - go ahead.

If "I" want to take a controversial view ?

Fabregas is an excellent player , imho one of our very best but , and it's a big but , 20 goals a season trumps anything he does I'm afraid.

No controversy from my side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

If "I" want to take a controversial view ?

Fabregas is an excellent player , imho one of our very best but , and it's a big but , 20 goals a season trumps anything he does I'm afraid.

No controversy from my side.

Brave shout.  Ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasonb   
26 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Could Fabregas be the key to tying up the title? I need to see more but it seems like teams have figured that the best way to beat us is to push players up in the areas behind our full backs. Very effective because it puts a lot of pressure on our back 3/5 and makes things more complicated than before. Again I'm speculating because it hard to judge from the TV, but it seems like Conte has countered this by using Fabregas as a deterrent. A "you want to empty the middle and fill the flanks? Ok let's see what one of the worlds best passers can do with two, three more seconds on the ball" answer. With him on the pitch, there will be a lot, a lot, of chances to play deep through balls to Costa/Hazard/Pedro. Interesting. 

I thought we needed a change in the second half of the season to keep us on track for the title and like your thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Brave shout.  Ok.

Funniest thing you have posted. Ever

Lampard getting 20 goals a season plus stacks of assists, whilst not being a complete passenger without the ball puts him infonitely ahead of Fabregas 

because you dont agree it is "brave" 

all of these silent people agree with you. Good point 

Edited by paulw66
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

^Finest?  That is too much :).  My guess is the silent people can read as well as write.

I would have been voted in as Prime Minister if all the people who thought I was brilliant but didn't vote had actually bothered to vote. can't prove me wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.