Michael Tucker

West Ham 1 Chelsea 2

226 posts in this topic

Really don't understand the criticism of Costa. The job of a lone striker is a thankless task and he worked tirelessly last night. There is no doubt his touch has not been quite right in recent weeks but even throughout this run I believe he is a more effective focal point than Kane, Lukaku, Aguero, Michy or any other striker in the league. 

He did not stop running all night, constantly pressed both their centre backs and was a complete nuisance.  He always occupies two centrebacks and in the second half began to find his rhythm and but for a world class save would have had a second goal.

Both he and Fabregas are world class and the reason why is they take risks. Fabregas attempts passes which neither Kante or Matic could even imagine and Costa is an unorthodox striker who dribbles awkwardly but effectively. Like Drogba before him when they try these things and they go wrong it can look messy but look at his goalscoring record and consider whether it is worth the odd giveaway. 

Anyway I actually thought we put in a quality professional performance last night bar the late consolation. Inevitably they tried to put us under some pressure from out wide but I thought this was completely ineffective. All of our back 5 were excellent in the air and the threat of Carroll was dealt with seamlessly. Good to see we are starting to improve in the one area of concern.

Luiz excellent once again as was Kante bar a few poor passes. Even though it wasn't Fabregas' best game he still added significant value to the side moving the ball forward quickly. Hazard was on fire and as I keep saying he is a completely different player when Cesc is also on the pitch. They are not always defence splitting assists but unlike Matic and Kante he is constantly firing fast vertical passes between the lines.  This allows Hazard to get the ball in one vs one situations before the opposition have time to retreat deep.

This is also why Luiz is so valuable and last night he looked fitter to me and the incredible passes from pre-Aguero are starting to come back. 

Edited by samhoward17

Notwithstanding the love-in here for Hazard's performance last night, I dId get frustrated that on at least two occasions he had the ball at his feet in the their final third, then proceeded to faff about waiting for their defence to re-group. I appreciate that ball retention is a priority, but the odd shot at goal would have been nice (his goal aside, of course).

22 minutes ago, Johnny Blue said:

Notwithstanding the love-in here for Hazard's performance last night, I dId get frustrated that on at least two occasions he had the ball at his feet in the their final third, then proceeded to faff about waiting for their defence to re-group. I appreciate that ball retention is a priority, but the odd shot at goal would have been nice (his goal aside, of course).

I agree , there was a point in the second half where he had one man to beat, made the space and then passed, one foot behind Costa , had that been CR7 he'd have scored and kept all the glory for himself , Hazard , brilliant as he is , is not selfish enough and lacks the true killer instinct that elevates the legends of the game.

The thing that really annoys me about all our flair players is there innate ability to embellish the play with little fancy tricks and flicks that rarely come off , I could personally have murdered Pedro last night when we're bearing down on goal and instead of passing it or even shooting, he chose to stab his foot at the ball to put some fancy Dan spin on the ball and it shot fifteen feet into the air before being cleared. Grrrr.

18 hours ago, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

Did you see the fat bloke try and get hazard

Obviously every team's supporters detest us with a passion, but am I right in thinking that none of them are on a par with West Ham fans' hate, bitterness (SFL) and nasty mindless behaviour personified by that idiot?  I'd love Diego to have squared up to him.

How many times is Luiz going to try that long ball to Pedro straight from a kick off?  

For some reason nobody is wising up to it. But for better control by Pedro that could easily have been another goal. 

1 hour ago, samhoward17 said:

Costa is an unorthodox striker who dribbles awkwardly but effectively. Like Drogba before him when they try these things and they go wrong it can look messy but look at his goalscoring record and consider whether it is worth the odd giveaway. 

This is a very good point. You can't have 11 players like this, but you need 3-4. To question Costa's value to this team is shocking.

4 hours ago, Diddymen said:

I agree with your assessment on Fabregas. for all the talk before on how much space he would have, I didn't see it. there were a few over top passes to Pedro (first 10 secs) which I think he thought he should have done better and a similar over top pass to Costa. Aside from that, it just seems he wasn't comfortable.

I have mentioned this before, but I am slightly concerned on Costa (even though he scored) he doesn't have that zip about him...I thought willian gave the ball away after he came on. Defence were great though...hope Stoke down tools like they did against the spuds..

Wasn't that long pass to Pedro in the first few seconds from Luiz, not Fabregas?

WHU not too shabby this time around.  Compared to Swansea who offered little but timing when they scored a very much against the run of play goal to equalise in the 46th 47th min, WHU had a bunch of chances, but had poor timing in that the only one that went in was after the game was over.

So good performance, good result - though I'd prefer not to concede.
IMO both Kante and Fabregas were good, though not as good as recently.  Kante's role in the Hazard goal and a few other chances should be noted.
Forewarnings of a dodgy ref proved accurate.  The kick into the the back of Hazard's ankles being the one that annoyed me most.

Another assist for Fabregas.

6 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

Both he and Fabregas are world class and the reason why is they take risks. Fabregas attempts passes which neither Kante or Matic could even imagine and Costa is an unorthodox striker who dribbles awkwardly but effectively. Like Drogba before him when they try these things and they go wrong it can look messy but look at his goalscoring record and consider whether it is worth the odd giveaway. 

Yes.  Both Drogba and Costa have a lot more momentum than most dribblers, and have to pull out some ungainly tricks to get past opponents.  Awkward but effective as you say.

Image result for west ham goal

Give than man a GoPro.

6 hours ago, JaneB said:

Obviously every team's supporters detest us with a passion, but am I right in thinking that none of them are on a par with West Ham fans' hate, bitterness (SFL) and nasty mindless behaviour personified by that idiot?  I'd love Diego to have squared up to him.

No Jane, there are more.

Millwall detest us too and when we meet again I expect major trouble hopefully not this year in the FA Cup.

I had some close run-ins with MiIllwall fans in the 90's. There were also problems with West Ham before Frank came to CFC.

Tottenham fans too though I think this is because of the run we had against them since the 90s.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Image result for west ham goal

Give than man a GoPro.

Give it a rest Droy. He was the closest to him after sprinting back to help the back three.