Michael Tucker

West Ham 1 Chelsea 2

226 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I'd be tempted to play Zouma at RCB

we've got Antonio, they haven't!

I thought about Zouma too but I worry about his marking and timing his jumps with Caroll. 

7 hours ago, chelboy said:

Wonder how we will handle Caroll. You know he will just target Azpi all game long. I would bring in Ake and put Cahill on the right. It might sound bizarre but that back 3 is best suited against people like Caroll. Yesterday Llorente kept nagging Azpi and was bring the ball down easily.  Not Azpi fault but I think we should adjust against big target men such as Caroll.  Caroll and set pieces are there main threats especially without Antonio. Nullify those and it should be comfortable. Cesc obviously has to start.

You do realise that Ake is only like 2cm taller right? He's still only like 5'11" himself compared to Azpi at 5'10". Won't make a remote ounce of difference in any sort of aerial battle.

10 hours ago, zaffo said:

You do realise that Ake is only like 2cm taller right? He's still only like 5'11" himself compared to Azpi at 5'10". Won't make a remote ounce of difference in any sort of aerial battle.

Which is why I would choose Zouma. Massive! 

11 hours ago, chelboy said:

I thought about Zouma too but I worry about his marking and timing his jumps with Caroll. 

Azpilicueta could mark tightly, time his jumps to perfection, and still struggle to deal with Caroll due to the height differential 

A fully fit and motivated Carroll is a match for any centre half , JT has struggled in the past and he's the best we've got. 

Stopping the service , should be the priority.

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

A bit like calling last orders! 

52 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

A fully fit and motivated Carroll is a match for any centre half , JT has struggled in the past and he's the best we've got. 

Yes - and in particular not giving the man on the ball time to look up.  Has been a weak point for us but we are getting better.

Yet another goal from a set piece on Saturday. No question that crosses to the far post or well delivered set pieces are our Achilles heel. Carroll could be our worst nightmare . The answer is to pressurise the crosser and don't give away pointless free kicks in dangerous areas (which we love to do).  

23 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Yet another goal from a set piece on Saturday. 

When was the last one? The Burnley free kick was slightly different as it was an incredible hit rather than anyone being at fault. 

Before that? Arsenal, no, Liverpool, no, Leicester, no, Spurs no

Edit - 5 goals conceded from set pieces. Only 4 teams have conceded fewer. 

Edited by paulw66

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

When was the last one? The Burnley free kick was slightly different as it was an incredible hit rather than anyone being at fault. 

Before that? Arsenal, no, Liverpool, no, Leicester, no, Spurs no

Edit - 5 goals conceded from set pieces. Only 4 teams have conceded fewer. 

Ok let me reword that. The last two goals we conceded were from free kicks from teams that we really should not be conceding against... a bit like West Ham. It also appears to me that most clear cut chances against us are from crosses to the far post OR crosses into the box from free kicks. We therefore seem very vulnerable to arial threats  from players like Carroll who has hurt us before. 

Re your edit, I think 5 goals conceded from set pieces for a team in our position with our defensive record is not that great at all. It's hard to find too many weaknesses in our team this season but this I feel this is an area that is avoidable a lot of the time. Any team in the prem has a player capable of riffling one in from 25 yards. There are not many teams who can break us down through open play (would you not agree?).