Michael Tucker

West Ham 1 Chelsea 2

226 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, ripz said:

Just realised we're playing Monday night, still a week to wait :(

All good things come to those that wait.

16 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

No it doesn't, but it makes it the most likely way for a team to score against us. If the oppo are dicking with the ball around the D don't attempt anything that the ref might fancy giving because they stand far more chance with a free kick than if we let them have the play. 

If we are going to avoid making tackles in a bid to not concede free kicks, we will concede more from open play. 

If we beat West Ham, Watford (when rearranged), Stoke and Palace then we're champions. No one will come back from that far behind with those few games to go. We win it in March.

No need to change a thing - strongest XI with Pedro and Matic although Cesc can feel a little hard-done after his weekend performance. But I think that for West Ham - being a derby game away from home and with Obiang and Fegouli in the middle of the park - that extra mobility in midfield would be prudent.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

If we beat West Ham, Watford (when rearranged), Stoke and Palace then we're champions. No one will come back from that far behind with those few games to go. We win it in March.

No need to change a thing - strongest XI with Pedro and Matic although Cesc can feel a little hard-done after his weekend performance. But I think that for West Ham - being a derby game away from home and with Obiang and Fegouli in the middle of the park - that extra mobility in midfield would be prudent.

I would love to see the 352 from the start. Harsh on Pedro but he has been quiet in the majority of away games and Cesc is undroppable at the moment. Conte usually changes to 352 to close out games and every time he has made this switch it has resulted in the end of opposition attacks.

The three world class attackers we have should be enough to beat a West Ham side without a genuine right back and Kante, Matic and Fabregas should dominate any combination they put forward in midfield. For us in 2014/15 and Leicester last year both teams had to change to a more rigid style half way through the season as sides began to adapt to the style of play. This slight change for certain games should keep the opposition scouts on their toes whilst reverting to the side we played vs Swansea for lesser sides.

West Ham away on Monday will no doubt be tough which is why I would want to retain both Matic and Kante in midfield. If the game does not go as planned we then have the option of a fresh Pedro to attack tired legs. 

Edited by samhoward17

8 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

I would love to see the 352 from the start. Harsh on Pedro but he has been quiet in the majority of away games and Cesc is undroppable at the moment. Conte usually changes to 352 to close out games and every time he has made this switch it has resulted in the end of opposition attacks.

The three world class attackers we have should be enough to beat a West Ham side without a genuine right back and Kante, Matic and Fabregas should dominate any combination they put forward in midfield. For us in 2014/15 and Leicester last year both teams had to change to a more rigid style half way through the season as sides began to adapt to the style of play. This slight change for certain games should keep the opposition scouts on their toes whilst reverting to the side we played vs Swansea for lesser sides.

West Ham away on Monday will no doubt be tough which is why I would want to retain both Matic and Kante in midfield. If the game does not go as planned we then have the option of a fresh Pedro to attack tired legs. 

wouldn't disagree with that. Pedro and Willian to come on in the second half to wreak havoc. Couple of years ago, Jose did a similar thing at Stoke, playing Matic and Mikel with Fab in the 10. 

Posted (edited)

On 28/02/2017 at 10:15 AM, paulw66 said:

If we are going to avoid making tackles in a bid to not concede free kicks, we will concede more from open play. 

Didn't say avoid all tackles did I? I said avoid making tackles that a ref might construe as a foul or was indeed a foul. We try and avoid making silly fouls in the penalty are for obvious reasons and I suggest we think about that policy around the 20/25 yard mark.

It's a matter of opinion but I reckon if you let a team have possession infront of our box 20 times (provided our defense is in place and we are reasonably organised) and then give that same team 20 free kicks around the box, we would concede more goals from the free kicks.  

Edited by NoblyBobly

32 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Didn't say avoid all tackles did I? I said avoid making tackles that a ref might construe as a foul or was indeed a foul. We try and avoid making silly fouls in the penalty are for obvious reasons and I suggest we think about that policy around the 20/25 yard mark.

It's a matter of opinion but I reckon if you let a team have possession infront of our box 20 times (provided our defense is in place and we are reasonably organised) and then give that same team 20 free kicks around the box, we would concede more goals from the free kicks.  

You are missing the point

At the moment we don't "let" teams have possession in front of our box" and we concede X number of goals from open play and Y from free kicks,

If we make a conscious effort not to make tackles "that a ref might construe as a foul" in a bid to reduce the number of free kicks (and hence goals from free kicks) than I am saying the goals we concede from open play "Y" will increase. 

Anyway, the foul we conceded for their goal against Swansea was near the half way line. At what point do we stop making these tackles? The free kick we conceded v Burnley was the first direct free kick goal we had conceded in the EPL for 3 years. 

struggling to see the problem 

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

At the moment we don't "let" teams have possession in front of our box" and we concede X number of goals from open play and Y from free kicks,

If we make a conscious effort not to make tackles "that a ref might construe as a foul" in a bid to reduce the number of free kicks (and hence goals from free kicks) than I am saying the goals we concede from open play "Y" will increase. 

Anyway, the foul we conceded for their goal against Swansea was near the half way line. At what point do we stop making these tackles? The free kick we conceded v Burnley was the first direct free kick goal we had conceded in the EPL for 3 years. 

The perception that there was a huge issue with us being punished because we let crosses come into the box was used by someone on here who felt that it was always a certain player's fault for not closing them down.  

On 27/02/2017 at 9:00 PM, ripz said:

Just realised we're playing Monday night, still a week to wait :(

Hate it when we have to play on a Monday.

Still, that view from the top isn't bad!

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Well I am amazed at that stat. First direct free kick in EPL for 3 years?? Let's at least hope that free kick goals are not like buses! However I hope Conte isn't struggling to see the threat that a player like Carroll can pose us in the air from crosses and set pieces . Historically he always does well against us. Of the top of my head I remember an unbelievable save from Cech against a Carroll header in the FA cup final 2012, he scored a great headed goal against us in 2015 season and again he scored against us last season. Players like him and Crouch will be used by oppo coaches to try and find our weak spot. This game will be no different.