Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

521 posts in this topic

Jose has brought this down on himself. What broke the camel's back was not joining United. Nor was it the digs at our playing style - I think we can all smile wryly at the charming hypocrisy of that. What will eventually make fans revolt is digs against them and he started that when he was still here.

Since he's been at United he has had several digs at us directly with his comparative language ; we have always been extraordinarily supportive of him (I myself went to protest outside Stamford Bridge after his first dismissal) and we don't deserve that kind of treatment; he can pretty much say what he likes about the club, Abramovich, our current manager or our playing style, because any intelligent observer can understand that this is born of the twin motivations of feelings of rejection and a need to ingratiate himself with his current club. What he has no licence to do is to have a go at his adoring Blues fans.

He is a complex man and indeed a man with complexes. It strikes me that, not for the first time he is displaying a self-destructive bent; there is no need to alienate us, but he seems to have a need to be a victim and the most effective way to manifest his complete rejection is to stop us singing his name and make himself feel that we are ungrateful. He doesn't seem to get much satisfaction out of winning and reminds me of gamblers who get depressed when they win big. What drives him is the struggle and perhaps deep down what drives his arrogance is a deep seated insecurity.

His current disenchantment with Blues fans is also obviously due to our replacement of him in our affections with Antonio Conte. It's like looking at your ex's new partner and seeing her happy and never looking better !

I would not, myself, chant negatively at him (not yet), but I can certainly understand why some fans would and do.

2 people like this

44 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

I agree, at the start of the game they asked us some questions it took us quite a while to get going as a result. Clearly they were instructed to get in Hazard and Costas faces. That was working reasonably well until the spin on the halfway line by Hazard and shot that was well saved. we then upped the tempo which drew the fouls and led to the sending off. I actually thought they had the better of us in midfield for the first part of the game which meant we couldnt settle.

They still posed a threat though all the time it was 1-0 such a shame we couldnt get that second goal. Still one was enough and thankfully no injuries before the Stoke game which will also be a test. our solidity and good attitude to every gae is the key to winning the league and perhaps the cup.

Yes disappointing we could not get a second.

I thought United largely snuffed out the attacking threat of Alonso and Moses. I even wondered if we needed to change Moses though ultimately he got injured. Thought we might have been fortunate with Kante's goal as De Gea seemed to leave a lot of space on his right perhaps wrongly assuming that Kante would pass to one of our more recognised attackers. Kante was superb in midfield in regaining possession.

One point the pundits were saying early on was that Utd were targeting Cahill as he was seen as the weak link by being a right footer on the left side of defence. I thought Cahill did look under pressure for that first half.

It looked ominous when Rashford broke, Luiz seemed completely caught out by the move leaving Rashford one on one  I think with Azpi and Courtois then saved well.

9 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

He is a complex man and indeed a man with complexes. It strikes me that, not for the first time he is displaying a self-destructive bent; there is no need to alienate us, but he seems to have a need to be a victim and the most effective way to manifest his complete rejection is to stop us singing his name and make himself feel that we are ungrateful. He doesn't seem to get much satisfaction out of winning and reminds me of gamblers who get depressed when they win big. What drives him is the struggle and perhaps deep down what drives his arrogance is a deep seated insecurity.

His current disenchantment with Blues fans is also obviously due to our replacement of him in our affections with Antonio Conte. It's like looking at your ex's new partner and seeing her happy and never looking better !

I would not, myself, chant negatively at him (not yet), but I can certainly understand why some fans would and do.

I think he has admitted himself he is driven to achieve almost in a manic fashion.

Complexes, certainly it must hurt when the players who refused to play for you then with a few underated enforcements then go and run away with the league with a new younger manager.

Another little drama was when Willian came off and who was there to put a hand around his shoulder but JM like old times. Did Willian instigate this as a come and get me or was it just due to his positioning when the substation was made?

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not going to besmirch the Mourinho legacy , he's the best manager we've ever had and I remain eternally grateful to him for everything he did to help catapult us towards greatness , however , I think tactically he let his side down last night , the kick , kick ,kick approach did them a great disservice , they're a much better side than that .

The United fans can moan all they like about the sending off but it was possibly the most brain dead tackle in the history of football.

A hard fought (literally) victory but well deserved.

Maybe next time we play them maybe they should concentrate on getting 14 shots on target and committing 1 foul . 

Apparently according to the media Mourinho needs to "get himself a Kante" , whilst I agree with the sentiment  , maybe he should try getting his £90m midfielder to run about a bit?

That turn from Hazard on the half way line though......no wonder they wanted to kick him out of the game.

Yes, well said Mark. 

5 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I thought United largely snuffed out the attacking threat of Alonso and Moses. I even wondered if we needed to change Moses though ultimately he got injured. Thought we might have been fortunate with Kante's goal as De Gea seemed to leave a lot of space on his right perhaps wrongly assuming that Kante would pass to one of our more recognised attackers. Kante was superb in midfield in regaining possession.

One point the pundits were saying early on was that Utd were targeting Cahill as he was seen as the weak link by being a right footer on the left side of defence. I thought Cahill did look under pressure for that first half.

It looked ominous when Rashford broke, Luiz seemed completely caught out by the move leaving Rashford one on one  I think with Azpi and Courtois then saved well.

I think last night Jose attempted to exploit our weakest players which are Cahill and Moses. For instance, anyone that has seen Cahill play knows he does not particularly like to have time on the ball as he cannot do much with it and he is awful against players who run at him with speed, as he will just simply back off until they have a shooting opportunity. As for Moses, he is average going forward if not given wide open spaces and he is not that great at defending and is weak in the air (although this has been mitigated a bit by Conte pushing him further back and inside a little for the past month or so.) That was consequently the reason why Cahill got so much time on the ball and Moses was set upon as soon as he got the ball.This is why I suspect next season Moses and Cahill are likely to find themselves on the bench. 

As for Luiz, I do not think he got caught out, rather he decided to go for a ball that he was unlikely to win but did it as he was trying to bully Rashford. 

11 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Yes Cahill does look a bit Bambi on Ice at times in possesion most English centre halves are though he does have other qualities that over a premier league season are very useful. Actually I think it was him one on one with Rashford and he got turned luckily Courtois made a great save. You feel we would have scored again if necessary though.

I thought that too with Moses and in fact he got injured because he kept at it and was starting to get the upper hand and he got whacked running into the box. One thing that interested me was Costa hanging out by the edge of the box after hed not got yet another decision from Oliver I wasnt sure if hed had enough of Roja or was calming himself down or just trying another tactic.

1 hour ago, MikelBlue said:

Is Jose the only legend that has left Chelsea? But he surely is the only legend of recent memory to keep running his mouth taking obvious digs against the club. Yet CFC fans are expected to take it up the backside with smiling faces and remain classy. Where's Jose's class? Only folks who are blindly loyal to Jose or simply choose to be naïve for whatever reason will criticize CFC fans. If a person choses to repeatedly act in a silly manner that is unbecoming of a legend, they can sure expect responses from those who get fed up with it. He keeps waving his three fingers like we're supposed to be forever indebted to him regardless of how much of a jack arse he choses to be while conveniently forgetting that in between other managers actually won bigger glory and yet quietly rode into the sunset like Di Matteo (CL) and Ancelotti (League Title/ FA Cup double) ... feats that Jose never achieved at Chelsea. Is Jose our entire history? This guy couldn't wait to belittle the club, yet some chose to pull wool over their eyes. To each their own.

He doesn't bother me, he doesn't not bother. I don't sit analogizing his every word and phrase at United, I don't sit their thinking "was that aimed at us?" and I certainly don't work myself into a lather over it. I have no more love for the man and I have no hate for the man but I have a respect for what he did here. If he hadn't of been sacked he would still be here trying to win football matches maybe being successful maybe not (none of us really know). What we know is Conte has come in and in his first season and done something extraordinary. I can't think of a new manager to the prem who has done so well so quickly (except Mourinho of course). 

Was JMs pride hurt when he was sacked? Of course it was.

Does he want to prove something to  Abramovich and the press? What do you think?

When you are with a new girlfriend, do you speak in fond loving ways about the old one that dumped you? You do if you want to be renewing your membership on Plenty of Fish.com  before the grace period runs out. 

We will be hauled over the coals for this and made to look like bunny boilers hurling abuse at our ex, claiming he/she hasn't observed the restraining order and stayed at least 200 yards from Stamford Bridge.

You ask where's Jose's class? 

Well how about us setting an example and showing some. Well at least you can have something in common with Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal fans now... you can all hurl foul mouthed abuse at Mourinho together and they will quickly point out that they were right all along.

As you say, each to his own. 

3 hours ago, r.bartlett said:

Of course the real number 1 is that he coverted the job for many years

Missed a lot of the game due to internet issues however within five minutes it was a repeats of JM's Real Madrid V Barcelona. Seems pretty obvious (to me) JM sent them out on a 'if you can't beat 'em , beat 'em ' ticket. However the ManU fans are adiment there wasn't a single foul by them during the whole game and the ref was bent :-)

Amen

3 hours ago, r.bartlett said:

JM has only one true love =JM

Everything he says and does is to further his own self. When he wins it's his 3 titles, when he loses it's their loss..

However he is clever and manipulative  enough to be able to ensure devotion of an almost religious zeal. I expect at every club he's managed to date there is a hardcore group who truly believe he only loves them and will return like the prodigal son to lead them to the promised land

Saying that he's done well at ManU to get them to resemble a decent team but last night was poor by anyones standards

1) Amen again

2) Agree with the first part, but to merely say that last night's Utd performance was poor doesn't cover half of it. The performance was disgraceful. It was a deliberate, calculated and vindictive attempt to injure Eden and not only put him out of last night's game, but also hopefully derail our season and that was why the fans reacted as they did I thought.

3 hours ago, chelboy said:

JM wants a big rivalry with Chelsea mainly because he fears what Conte can do with this team. When we were getting hammered by Liverpool and Arsenal he made no silly comments to criticize the team. That would have been the perfect time to blast his mouth off about us. Instead he starts seeing us rise and play well then starts making little digs about us. He then brands us as a defensive team, which is very rich coming from him. 

This rivarly picked up when JM realised Chelsea are a threat probably around the time we smashed them 4-0. Before then he barely said anything about us. Its a tactic he uses when he fears an opponent. Did it time and again with Liverpool and Benitez. Also did it with Wenger but the wenger rivalry grew when he returned to Chelsea for the 2nd time as they were a stronger team than when he left. He never rivalled fergie as he knew that would be a silly thing to do considering Fergie influence in the PL. JM thrives on making rivalries and enemies. It gets him going he is too bored when everything is peaceful.

It was more the fact that he wanted to become his replacement I suspect. I don't think he was ever intimidated by anyone's reputation.