• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

In the CL tie against Inter when Mourinho returned to the Bridge for the first time, there were quite a few in the MHL who sang "eff off Mourinho" towards the end. 

Its small-time rubbish to retort to such idiocy. It's something you expect of Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal. You know, the definition of culture and class of English football;) 

I think the same principle applies to the CL games as well, certainly up the the semi's, then the STH's who give games a swerve get interested again! If I remember correctly, it was when    Jose celebrated the victory or a goal. Tactically walked all over Ancellotti in both ties. 

I'm afraid that the sort of person who'd retort to the sort of eff off chant to our most successful manager are in the 'look at me' brigade. If they managed to get their two brain cells to collide, they'd understand that it's exactly the thing that Jose will feed on and motivate him even more to turn us over. If he wasn't enough already!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is the first time I have ever jumped 10 pages in the match day thread without reading them.  I've just put up with a truly bizarre 15 min rant from a 14 year old (not mine thank God) and some of the nonsense on here is worse.  Our ex-manager was sacked.  He did not run from the altar or sleep with the bridesmaid.

Man U had a weaker team, weakened with injuries and suspensions, with mid-week games against a full strength much better Chelsea team at the bridge.  I reckon he did the best he could to make a game of it.

The tactics seem to me to have been a full press on our defence - deep into our half.  However many defenders Lampard or the commentators were counting, they were not sitting deep.  In essence Man U were going to find out whether our famed passing around at the back was really as solid as we think it is.  And to be fair for 15 mins this was a very effective tactic (and one I suspect we are likely to see more of).

The draw back with the plan is the counter attack.  So the second instruction was for the defenders to be very tight on Hazard and Costa to pre-empt any such counter, and to bring them down if a tackle could not be made.  This is not unusual amongst weaker teams playing away - indeed most teams play this way against stronger clubs.  And as in many games, the result then quickly turns on how soon the referee gets his card out to even up play.  That was especially true in this game.

Just before the Red, I said that Man U were going to get a lot of bookings now and that in itself will turn the game.  Instead we got a Red followed by an acquiescent ref again, which amounted to much the same thing, but I'd have preferred 4 bookings and Hazard and Costa being allowed to play proper football.

The players - despite the very high and sharp line of Man U I don't think we ever got behind them.  That is what happens if we don't pick Fabregas.  
The back 3/5 played the ball around under pressure - they do do this well, and I for one don't see Cahill as a weakness.  But it was a good idea by Mourinho.  Had Conte picked, say, Zouma to start, it might have been a lot more fruitful.  
Kante was superb.  Willian, Hazard and IMO Costa were very good too.  When you get kicked as much as Man U kicked us, you go down very quickly - I'm pretty sure that is what Conte would expect of Costa.  

15 mins of impressive Man U pressure and suddenly a great 2 mins with 3 great chances.  Maybe it is time I changed my mind about De Gea - he was very good.  Then more Man U pressure and suddenly another great couple of minutes by us.  I still think we should go for 3 points from the start in games, but this was the cup, a 120 min game where a draw is not possible so not a downside risk.

 

19 hours ago, Galol said:

And stop interpreting for us what Mourinho really meant by this or that quote. You're in no position to be Mourinho's interpreter. He clearly knows what he's doing. He's taking swipes at us and the club. We've had enough of Mourinho's incessant digs and we're not gonna take it anymore!

No real answer to that.

On 3/13/2017 at 8:28 PM, Sleeping Dave said:

Incredibly harsh on Herrera as he's committed two fouls all game and that last one was rather soft. 

Harsh on Herrera, soft on the other players - Instead of 4 or 5 first half yellows, Oliver gave just two - but to the same player.

Actually I thought the first was soft, not the second.  I have often argued against cards when a player just runs into a defender.  I think Hazard bought the first.  But the second was a clear yellow - not because it was a vicious tackle, just so very late and far away from the ball.  It should have been treated much the same as pulling back a player that has just beaten you, and indeed Herrera was well beaten with Hazard sprinting away when he committed the foul.

23 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Always find it ironic when Martin Keown bangs on about the things Costa gets up to when one casts their mind back to his game.

Keown was always one of the worst (of a very dirty and professional Arsenal side).  

22 hours ago, Jasonb said:

To be fair I think JM had his tactics right considering his injuries, the better question IMO is whether he asked his players to put the boot in.

Good question.  As above, the key issue was to be very sharp in preventing counter-attacks.  And that does tend to mean the man comes down fairly or if necessarily unfairly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
43 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think this is the first time I have ever jumped 10 pages in the match day thread without reading them.  I've just put up with a truly bizarre 15 min rant from a 14 year old (not mine thank God) and some of the nonsense on here is worse.  Our ex-manager was sacked.  He did not run from the altar or sleep with the bridesmaid.

Man U had a weaker team, weakened with injuries and suspensions, with mid-week games against a full strength much better Chelsea team at the bridge.  I reckon he did the best he could to make a game of it.

The tactics seem to me to have been a full press on our defence - deep into our half.  However many defenders Lampard or the commentators were counting, they were not sitting deep.  In essence Man U were going to find out whether our famed passing around at the back was really as solid as we think it is.  And to be fair for 15 mins this was a very effective tactic (and one I suspect we are likely to see more of).

The draw back with the plan is the counter attack.  So the second instruction was for the defenders to be very tight on Hazard and Costa to pre-empt any such counter, and to bring them down if a tackle could not be made.  This is not unusual amongst weaker teams playing away - indeed most teams play this way against stronger clubs.  And as in many games, the result then quickly turns on how soon the referee gets his card out to even up play.  That was especially true in this game.

Just before the Red, I said that Man U were going to get a lot of bookings now and that in itself will turn the game.  Instead we got a Red followed by an acquiescent ref again, which amounted to much the same thing, but I'd have preferred 4 bookings and Hazard and Costa being allowed to play proper football.

The players - despite the very high and sharp line of Man U I don't think we ever got behind them.  That is what happens if we don't pick Fabregas.  
The back 3/5 played the ball around under pressure - they do do this well, and I for one don't see Cahill as a weakness.  But it was a good idea by Mourinho.  Had Conte picked, say, Zouma to start, it might have been a lot more fruitful.  
Kante was superb.  Willian, Hazard and IMO Costa were very good too.  When you get kicked as much as Man U kicked us, you go down very quickly - I'm pretty sure that is what Conte would expect of Costa.  

15 mins of impressive Man U pressure and suddenly a great 2 mins with 3 great chances.  Maybe it is time I changed my mind about De Gea - he was very good.  Then more Man U pressure and suddenly another great couple of minutes by us.  I still think we should go for 3 points from the start in games, but this was the cup, a 120 min game where a draw is not possible so not a downside risk.

 

No real answer to that.

Harsh on Herrera, soft on the other players - Instead of 4 or 5 first half yellows, Oliver gave just two - but to the same player.

Actually I thought the first was soft, not the second.  I have often argued against cards when a player just runs into a defender.  I think Hazard bought the first.  But the second was a clear yellow - not because it was a vicious tackle, just so very late and far away from the ball.  It should have been treated much the same as pulling back a player that has just beaten you, and indeed Herrera was well beaten with Hazard sprinting away when he committed the foul.

Keown was always one of the worst (of a very dirty and professional Arsenal side).  

Good question.  As above, the key issue was to be very sharp in preventing counter-attacks.  And that does tend to mean the man comes down fairly or if necessarily unfairly.

1) You say JM did the best he could to make a game of it.  Would you not go a little further or would that mean you having to tar him with a slight criticism?

2) You think Costa played well?  Seriously?  He was garbage.... Again. 

 

Edited by Ham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   

Am I right in saying that Rojo has escaped a ban for the stamp on Hazard? If so, how is that ******* possible??????!!!!????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chelsian2015 said:

I felt the same, he is a Chinese type of Costa now, but I hope we are mistaken. We need him for the the finishing. Hazard was doing more during last game, so it was difficult to judge him. 

Guys, I can see us playing City for the cup. 

I hope you're right, but I think we all really wanted Arsenal in the semi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StebzAno   
50 minutes ago, Ham said:

Am I right in saying that Rojo has escaped a ban for the stamp on Hazard? If so, how is that ******* possible??????!!!!????

According to the beeb "Oliver has told the FA he saw it and dealt with the incident as he saw fit at the time"... Answers on a postcard if you know how Oliver "dealt with it" exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
5 minutes ago, StebzAno said:

According to the beeb "Oliver has told the FA he saw it and dealt with the incident as he saw fit at the time"... Answers on a postcard if you know how Oliver "dealt with it" exactly.

That makes absolutely no sense.  If he'd seen it he would have sent him off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I won't be the first person to point out that whatever abuse was directed at Jose came from a handful of fans. If I followed your argument, Benitez committed a big wrongdoing and therefore deserved a big payback.  Mourinho did a smaller sin and received a smaller payback. It's just you and Dave making a calamity of it.  And before your ink dries, Jose will be off making another insinuating remarks at our fans. That's just who he is. He can't help himself.  

You'd find this low level abuse directed at any person on a given day depending on the context (for example, Roman Abramovich has received sticks when we have not done well)  Jose Mourinho does not deserve to be treated differently.  He is no saint, and nor should I expect our fans to be. 

I think you'll find Rodney that it's you that makes a "calamity" of it and then starts frothing at the mouth when JM utters anything that you can bend into the category of an "insinuating remark at our fans".  My suggestion to you is to take a chill pill, act in a more adult way and not give a sh.t, but if you feel better getting yourself all worked up then be my guest.

 However when a significant number of fans (number not yet determined) start chanting within earshot of the worlds media "feck off Mourinho" I find it embarrassing and possibly damaging to our image as fans which people take great pleasure in dragging through the mud. It doesn't represent me and I don't think it represents the majority of other fans from what I'm hearing, so I think they just need to wind their necks in. If one shouted it sitting next to me I would turn and shout it right back in his face and see if he could take it as well as dish it out.

I'm really not bothered what JM thinks because it's probably water of a ducks back. If he wants to retort he can (and did). He's a very rich and successful man and he doesn't need my sympathy or your approval.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   
14 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

1) Amen again

2) Agree with the first part, but to merely say that last night's Utd performance was poor doesn't cover half of it. The performance was disgraceful. It was a deliberate, calculated and vindictive attempt to injure Eden and not only put him out of last night's game, but also hopefully derail our season and that was why the fans reacted as they did I thought.

 

 

Pete I could not agree more.last night brought Mourhino down to a whole new level.He is insane.We dominated the whole game.There was a concerted campaign by someone to stop us playing by fair means or foul..guess who?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was pretty much the same Jose that we have seen in the last couple years.

Thought his game plan was one dimensional and the minute they got the red you just knew they couldnt get back into the game. 

Even when they had 11 players we still managed to get in behind them to create 3 chances and anybody who thinks that United were ever going to have a genuine chance of winning that game in 90 minutes even with 11 players on the field needs to stop kidding themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.