• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Lets just say that I have never heard of a player who missed a game or was subbed off because he was stamped on.  Can you think of one?

Robben - so yeah my memory maybe hazy - accepted!   

Oddly, I can, Droy, I can think of two without much difficulty.

Take a look at this (13th January, so quite recent): https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2606253/joe-hart-injury-battered-bruised-and-swollen-manchester-city-on-loan-keeper-reveals-extent-of-his-horror-face-injuries-after-being-stamped-on/

And it's not just in the professional game - see this, a little longer ago: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/01/amateur-footballer-jailed-for-breaking-opponents-leg-in-intentional-tackle

Stamping isn't something to be taken lightly. It needs, well, stamping out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, blue moon said:

But Hart played on, started the next game, and more to the point there is no claim in that report that it was an intentional stamp.  Do my point remains - intentional stamps rarely result in serioius injuries and victims being injured enough to come off or miss future matches.  (The limit of my point - I'm right with everyone in saying stamping should be "stamped out").

Your second article is exactly the kind of tackle which should be described as an attempt to take a player out of the game.  But although the word stamp is used in the subtitle, the two-footed flying tackle the guy was prosecuted for was not a stamp.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
18 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Calm down - I am not defending a stamp.  Just pointing out that stamping is not a common way of injuring people - and backing up my point that there was not an all out attempt to get Hazard injured.

Why is it that you keep posting about things I haven't actually said?

Or is it a case of you constantly denying what you've been quoted as saying?  

Playing down the potential effects of stamping on another person is defending stamping. All to defend your precious JM.  

Poch sent out Spurs to get over physical with us last season and JM did the same on Monday. 

Did you defend Poch?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StebzAno   
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yet strangely neither of the bookings nor the stamp were offences that could possibly have injured Robben, and he took few of the assaults that Costa did.

Oh well that makes it alright then.  There's us bemoaning their appalling tactics for no reason.  Go hack him once more, make it a leg breaker this time.

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Man U were sharp reacting to the counter attack, true, and  reacted poorly a few times when Hazard embarrassed them.  A few bookings would have made a hell of a difference.  But not dirty.  14 fouls they committed in the whole game.

An unhealthy amount of both praise and defensive work in favour of Man Utd, across a number of DWMH's posts...  Do we have a Man Utd fan in disguise on these here forums?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

But Hart played on, started the next game, and more to the point there is no claim in that report that it was an intentional stamp.  Do my point remains - intentional stamps rarely result in serioius injuries and victims being injured enough to come off or miss future matches.  (The limit of my point - I'm right with everyone in saying stamping should be "stamped out").

Your second article is exactly the kind of tackle which should be described as an attempt to take a player out of the game.  But although the word stamp is used in the subtitle, the two-footed flying tackle the guy was prosecuted for was not a stamp.  

Few players seem to be sufficiently badly injured by a stamp that they miss future games, but it is hard to establish the effect of a stamp - the press rarely if ever report: "xyz didn't play in today's match due to being stamped on by abc", and not surprisingly. Decisions whether to play a player are taken for many reasons, none of which tend to be published. Take for instance a nasty stamp by Bowyer on Geraldo back in 2003 - Bowyer got a 6 match ban, but what happened to Gerardo? We'll never know.

On the other hand, there is Willie Johnston's stamp on John McMaster's hear in 2008 - McMasters needed the kiss of life. They may be tough in Scotland, but I doubt McMasters was too anxious to play the next match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, blue moon said:

Few players seem to be sufficiently badly injured by a stamp that they miss future games, but it is hard to establish the effect of a stamp - the press rarely if ever report: "xyz didn't play in today's match due to being stamped on by abc", and not surprisingly. Decisions whether to play a player are taken for many reasons, none of which tend to be published. Take for instance a nasty stamp by Bowyer on Geraldo back in 2003 - Bowyer got a 6 match ban, but what happened to Gerardo? We'll never know.

On the other hand, there is Willie Johnston's stamp on John McMaster's hear in 2008 - McMasters needed the kiss of life. They may be tough in Scotland, but I doubt McMasters was too anxious to play the next match.

But whether a stamp causes injury or not is something of a red herring. It's still undoubtably dirty play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   

A nasty tackle could be career ending.  A stamp could be life threatening.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sea foot   

Pulling back on a shirt is not going to injure you but is, rightly, a booking. A stamp may or may not injure you but is an act of overt aggression which is not in the spirit of the game and should always be a sending off or, if missed, a retrospective ban for at least three games. 

14 fouls given but we all saw Oliver giving the play-on signal which, if I'm not mistaken, will not count in the stats.

I think Oliver needs to explain exactly what he thought he'd seen because I reckon he was talking about the foul that he blew up for and not the actual stamp after. And can someone explain to me why a player looking exactly where to stamp on a player is not worse than Costa "stamping" on Can with his back to him.

Edited by Sea foot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   

I actually think the Spurs game was a lot more violent than this one. 

14 fouls is not a huge amount - the difference being it was largely on one player, and there was a period in the first half where it was so condensed. The 2nd Herrera foul being seconds after they had a collective warning. No player on the United side committed more than 2 fouls in that half but they ended up with a red. Compare that to West Ham away and Kouyate committed 4 fouls in the first 40 minutes and got no card at all. Consistency is just non existent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I actually think the Spurs game was a lot more violent than this one. 

14 fouls is not a huge amount - the difference being it was largely on one player, and there was a period in the first half where it was so condensed. The 2nd Herrera foul being seconds after they had a collective warning. No player on the United side committed more than 2 fouls in that half but they ended up with a red. Compare that to West Ham away and Kouyate committed 4 fouls in the first 40 minutes and got no card at all. Consistency is just non existent. 

Very good point re the fact that most fouls were on one player and pretty cynical at that. If a traffic cop gives you a warning not a ticket for going over the speed limit and you immediately in his sight speed then what happens? No sympathy for Manure (well that's aa given)  or the player..so many excuses for the first yellow as if it wasn't intended,watch it again and it is absolutely intentional and right in front of the ref. He got it right and the second was a foul and after a team warning seconds before. Duh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.