Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

522 posts in this topic

Have I seriously just witnessed Droy telling everyone to check out the stats on "this table" to back up his point only to back track and advise people not to use stats when low and behold they don't back his arguments up ?

You couldn't make it up , well, obviously Droy can !

Comedy gold.

37 minutes ago, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

(Side point - if possession stats don't matter/aren't a good indicator then why bring them up at all?)

I didn't bring them up.  Ham did.  I've twice said just watch the games.

36 minutes ago, Ham said:

2) Don't use stats then. 

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Our possession stats don't support the theory that we are a counter attacking side.

Ditto.

23 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Have I seriously just witnessed Droy telling everyone to check out the stats on "this table" to back up his point only to back track and advise people not to use stats when low and behold they don't back his arguments up ?

You couldn't make it up , well, obviously ...

you did.  Again.

7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I didn't bring them up.  Ham did.  I've twice said just watch the games.

Ditto.

you did.  Again.

1. No, I think Ham is fully entitled to use stats, as they have proven his point.  It's you that has to be cautious in their use as you seem to be very conflicting with your conclusions.  One minute telling us go to this site, then telling us it's dodgy.

2. Nope again, Mark is right, we all saw it.

29 minutes ago, StebzAno said:

1. No, I think Ham is fully entitled to use stats, as they have proven his point.  It's you that has to be cautious in their use as you seem to be very conflicting with your conclusions.  One minute telling us go to this site, then telling us it's dodgy.

So use the stats then - we are top by a mile in the table and 6th in the possession table.  And Possession correlated very strongly with strength of team and  points/goals scored/league position.   We have much lower possession than a team as strong as us would expect to show.

If possession tell us about our style of play, what does it say??

14 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

So use the stats then - we are top by a mile in the table and 6th in the possession table.  And Possession correlated very strongly with strength of team and  points/goals scored/league position.   We have much lower possession than a team as strong as us would expect to show.

If possession tell us about our style of play, what does it say??

6th in the table of possession certainly doesn't support any point you are trying to make. That's a fact. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

6th in the table of possession certainly doesn't support any point you are trying to make. That's a fact. 

My point was that we are a counter-attacking side.
That possession stats has anything to do with it was your point: try to explain it please.

5 hours ago, Ham said:

Our possession stats don't support the theory that we are a counter attacking side.

I don't need to explain anything.  We are NOT solely a counter attacking side. You said that we were only 6th in the possession table with the intention of making some point. 

If we were in the bottom 6 I'd say you had a point. Leicester last season were a perfect example. They had low possession almost every week and still won most games on the counter. 

We are not in the same bracket. To say otherwise is a complete Droyism of the facts.

8 hours ago, StebzAno said:

So using your advised stats reference point, that's 39 goals from open play compare to just 5 counterattack?  Oh and who's top of the table in the offensive stats, is that Chelsea?  Yes totally a defensive team reliant on counterattacking we are.

Is there a PL team with more counter-attacking goals than us? 

Does it mean we are not a counter-attacking side because we've only scored five (supposedly, whatever definition thy have used). If you fail to see that our attacking play is exclusively built on quick transitions and paced change of directions I'm seriously worrying for you. 

And again, I don't mind that one bit. It's actually how I prefer us to play. Jose was the master of that first time with us. Unfortunately the second time he was much more possession focused and the general okay was slower compared to the first time around. 

10 hours ago, Ham said:

To save me reading through hundreds of posts, and to be clear, would you agree that we currently aren't just a counter attacking side?  Our possession stats don't support the theory that we are a counter attacking side. Against the majority of teams we've played this season we have prodded and poked defences with possession and often finally broken them down by inviting them out so as to leave gaps behind. That's my recollection. 

Having said that we are the best in the league at counter attacking when the opportunity appears.  

We are a very good side who have put defensive stability and quick transitions at the very core of how we play. I really don't see that as an offensive accusation or a bad thing. 

It follows what he did at Juve and Italy to a tee as far as I'm concerned. 

7 hours ago, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

Scoring counter-attacking goals frequently doesn't, by definition, necessarily make a team a counter-attacking side. Just means they're very good at it.

Some games we do play primarily to counter-attack, many games against middle/lower teams we don't. But we do hit them when we counter after they over-commit.

The main point is that our tactics this season have been pretty versatile and fluid. We have changed what we're doing mid-match to suit the game situation. That's a big reason we've been so much better than everyone else.

(Side point - if possession stats don't matter/aren't a good indicator then why bring them up at all?)

I don't agree we have had versatile or fluid (flexible?) tactics. We have basically played with the same 12 outfielders all season in very clearly defined roles and a set formation. I'd say it's the very opposite of versatility. 

5 hours ago, Ham said:

Actually I think it does. Being so superior pointswise, if we weren't a predominantly defensive solid and counter-attacking side those stats doesn't add up with where we find ourselves when looking at the table. 

7 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

You couldn't make it up , well, obviously Droy can !

Comedy gold.

Why do you guys take Droy seriously? It's obvious that he's windup merchant. He's not only taking contrarian view for the heck of it but taking viewpoint that he knows is patently false. 

9 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Is there a PL team with more counter-attacking goals than us? 

Does it mean we are not a counter-attacking side because we've only scored five (supposedly, whatever definition thy have used). If you fail to see that our attacking play is exclusively built on quick transitions and paced change of directions I'm seriously worrying for you. 

You're missing the point. A counter-attacking side is one that concedes possession to the opposition, sits back and waits to capitalize on mistakes by the opposition. If this is the case then one of the most telling statistic would be possession and goals from counter-attacks. Counter-attacking sides normally have low possession share and high proportion of goals from counter-attacks. And yet the stats emphatically show we're 6th in possession with only 5 goals from counter-attacks. So, what on God's green earth are you arguing about?

We all know that you and Droy are chief Mourinho puppets on CFCnet. The only reason you guys are peddling this silly counter-attacking slur is because your master, Mourinho, used it against. But we won't stand for folks attacking our team.