Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

522 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Galol said:

You're missing the point. A counter-attacking side is one that concedes possession to the opposition, sits back and waits to capitalize on mistakes by the opposition. If this is the case then one of the most telling statistic would be possession and goals from counter-attacks. Counter-attacking sides normally have low possession share and high proportion of goals from counter-attacks. And yet the stats emphatically show we're 6th in possession with only 5 goals from counter-attacks. So, what on God's green earth are you arguing about?

We all know that you and Droy are chief Mourinho puppets on CFCnet. The only reason you guys are peddling this silly counter-attacking slur is because your master, Mourinho, used it against. But we won't stand for folks attacking our team. 

Exactly, you've saved me the time typing a very similar response, cheers.

15 minutes ago, Galol said:

You're missing the point.  1. A counter-attacking side is one that concedes possession to the opposition, sits back and waits to capitalize on mistakes by the opposition. 2.  If this is the case then one of the most telling statistic would be possession and goals from counter-attacks. 3.  Counter-attacking sides normally have low possession share and high proportion of goals from counter-attacks. 4.   And yet the stats emphatically show we're 6th in possession with only 5 goals from counter-attacks. So, what on God's green earth are you arguing about?

5.  We all know that you and Droy are chief Mourinho puppets on CFCnet. The only reason you guys are peddling this silly counter-attacking slur is because your master, Mourinho, used it against. But we won't stand for folks attacking our team. 

1.  No.  Just that they don't push people forward.  They might spend a lot of time passing the ball around 5 men at the back.  Or think of a team that has 2 CMs and 3 CBs who almost never get into the opponents box apart from set pieces.  

2.  Well yes - but even more critical for possession is simply how good the team is.  You would not expect a team with a 10 point lead in the league to be as low as 6th place in possession stats - that is evidence much lower possession that expected. (and the goal form counter-attack data is clearly warped - 30 from all clubs in the season?  Man U with none?

3.  Got it - you mean like Chelsea.

4.  Thanks for sorting that out.

5.  From Galol  :)

12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

1.  No.  Just that they don't push people forward.  They might spend a lot of time passing the ball around 5 men at the back.  Or think of a team that has 2 CMs and 3 CBs who almost never get into the opponents box apart from set pieces.  

2.  Well yes - but even more critical for possession is simply how good the team is.  You would not expect a team with a 10 point lead in the league to be as low as 6th place in possession stats - that is evidence much lower possession that expected. (and the goal form counter-attack data is clearly warped - 30 from all clubs in the season?  Man U with none?

3.  Got it - you mean like Chelsea.

4.  Thanks for sorting that out.

5.  From Galol  :)

1. You're quibbling. 

2. You're begging the question. The fact we're 10 points ahead is the subject of this discussion. Are we 10 points ahead because we're solely counter-attacking team (as Mourinho claims) or do we rely some other strategy. You can't use the fact we're 10 points ahead to prove why we out possess other teams. It's hopelessly circular argument, something you're fond of doing. Other less trained CFCnet members may not notice but yours truly does.

So, try again son. 

I don't care what response comes back. I'm done. I cannot be arsed with this any more. 

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Galol said:

It's hopelessly circular argument, something you're fond of doing. Other less trained CFCnet members may not notice but yours truly does.

For sure it always is circular with these two, no matter how many objective points they are presented with.  Earlier DMWH said go look at the stats, then said don't as they're dodgy, then said ok let's use the stats again.  I think the greater community has a good idea what's going on, particularly when I see a rival team and their manager get more backup than the team and manager we're mean't to be supporting, but what begins as entertainment picking out the inconsistencies and nonsense soon becomes boring as we pine to get back to sensible intelligent debate.

Fortunately it's international break now.  Although we come back on April 'fools day', I hope that isn't literal.

EDIT: No sooner do I write that, Ham demonstrates exactly what I'm talking about^^... ditto.

Edited by StebzAno
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I don't agree we have had versatile or fluid (flexible?) tactics. We have basically played with the same 12 outfielders all season in very clearly defined roles and a set formation. I'd say it's the very opposite of versatility. 

We'll have to agree to disagree there, even yesterday we switched tactics in the second half to (somewhat riskily for a team 10pts clear) chase a winner when we could've easily sat on the 1-1.

We play to our strengths and that incorporates a tactical flexibility within our own plan A itself - generally sit deep for 15-20 unless obvious counters arise, then start feeling our way into the game (a period where we seem to score from time to time), before in the second half we start to properly take the initiative (especially at home) and begin attacking teams as they badly tire after their earlier exertions.

42 minutes ago, Galol said:

Are we 10 points ahead because we're solely counter-attacking team (as Mourinho claims) or do we rely some other strategy.

No one claims that - least of all JM.

28 minutes ago, StebzAno said:

Earlier DMWH said go look at the stats

No - earlier Ham said look at the stats.  Just get the facts right. 

13 minutes ago, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

We play to our strengths and that incorporates a tactical flexibility within our own plan A itself - generally sit deep for 15-20 unless obvious counters arise, then start feeling our way into the game (a period where we seem to score from time to time), before in the second half we start to properly take the initiative (especially at home) and begin attacking teams as they badly tire after their earlier exertions.

Sounds like you, Dave and I agree for the first 60 mins, and the scoreline largely determines tactics for the last 30 mins.

Can I be the first to state how much I despise the international break. And its only Sunday night.

7 wins and 3 defeats needed.

7 hours ago, Galol said:

You're missing the point. A counter-attacking side is one that concedes possession to the opposition, sits back and waits to capitalize on mistakes by the opposition. If this is the case then one of the most telling statistic would be possession and goals from counter-attacks. Counter-attacking sides normally have low possession share and high proportion of goals from counter-attacks. And yet the stats emphatically show we're 6th in possession with only 5 goals from counter-attacks. So, what on God's green earth are you arguing about?

We all know that you and Droy are chief Mourinho puppets on CFCnet. The only reason you guys are peddling this silly counter-attacking slur is because your master, Mourinho, used it against. But we won't stand for folks attacking our team. 

I'm missing the point? I think you'll find that you are the one missing the point. 

Thank you for clarifying what a counter-attack is. Very helpful. Not sure what I'd do without you. 

6 hours ago, Galol said:

1. You're quibbling. 

Actually no. He's accurately describing how we play. You don't get it. No one is (or should be) surprised. 

We move on.