Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

522 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

It's also funny how many teams have seen us do it and then copied it, rather than it being their own idea / solution

We have a manager who is schooled in this formation and is using it because he knows how to, not because he is copying someone else's ideas 

Agree yet next season we cannot be complacent as let's not forget the Japs rose to power and technical know how by imitating the West. Spurs looked good against us though expect they raised their game against us unlike any of their other matches. 

13 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Apparently they played three at the back too.

I enjoy when teams try to do this, it actually benefits us more. It's all well and good lining up in a 3 at the back system, however there's so many intricate parts to make it function that it takes time. Given they'll have worked minimally on it I dare say, that's going to leave gaps and no doubt there will be breakdowns in communication. 

^,^^^

"3 at the back" is not the big deal people talk about.

The opponent plays 1 up front the defensive team have 2 at the back, 2 up front and the defence has 3 at the  back, 3 up front and the defence has 4 at the back to match them.  Doesn't matter if the paper formation has 2, 3 or 4 defenders, that is what teams do.
The only thing that is specific about the Chelsea formation is what we do when our keeper has the ball and the LCB & RCB split very very wide.  But even this isn't a big deal - we have always pushed up on FB forward when our keeper has the ball (Ivanovic to win headers mostly) and had 3 at the back to play the ball around.

It certainly wasn't key to our improvement in results.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

^,^^^

The opponent plays 1 up front the defensive team have 2 at the back, 2 up front and the defence has 3 at the  back, 3 up front and the defence has 4 at the back to match them.  Doesn't matter if the paper formation has 2, 3 or 4 defenders, that is what teams do.
The only thing that is specific about the Chelsea formation is what we do when our keeper has the ball and the LCB & RCB split very very wide.  But even this isn't a big deal - we have always pushed up on FB forward when our keeper has the ball (Ivanovic to win headers mostly) and had 3 at the back to play the ball around.

I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make here Droy and before you say "read between the lines" or something equally enigmatic, just start taking English. 

On 08/03/2017 at 2:29 PM, chelsea_matt said:

I love the FA Cup, but the league is our priority. That said it's good to keep winning - can't play a weak side against United. That said I would make a few changes - I'd rest Luiz, Kantè, Hazard, Tibo and Diego. We have enough quality to win it without them. 

Since he left, hardly a week passes without Jose having a swipe at Chelsea. Just imagine that post match press conference if Jose wins, and the weeks or months to follow. I would play the strongest side that guarantees a win if only for the sake still having a TV to watch and a breakable item left in my house. 

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

^,^^^

Then why do pople in the media, and oher managers keep talking aout it? And why did our fortunes change so dramatically, when Conte switched to it? And indeed, why does virtually every Prem manager we come up against try to employ their own '3 at the back with wing backs' formation?

8 hours ago, Ham said:

I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make here Droy and before you say "read between the lines" or something equally enigmatic, just start taking English. 

Who does? I only saw his post via what you quoted given he's on my ignore list. But that's the standard tripe Droy tends to deliver. If three at the back was such an easy system to play successfully more teams word. The way Conte has developed his approach has been nothing short of successful and difficult for many opposition teams and managers to combat successfully. His success at Juventus and how it was obtained drew plaudits for a reason, of course Droy wouldn't actually know an ounce about this given his confirmation of not watching Italian football, however Droy being Droy and being the expert in all things, he was clearly right about writing off Conte, his system, and his success prior to even signing or Chelsea. Then Conte showcased the same structure and coaching ability to take one of the weakest Italian national team sides into the EURO Quarter finals, only to lose on penalties to a strong Germany side. Of course, that continued to mean little. Now Conte's come here and taken a side that was all at sea last season and has them sitting top of the league, a position no one had expected. All while doing it in an extremely impressive fashion. Not only that, but he's handled the players, the media and some incidents with absolute class. 

Bitter pill to swallow on Droy's behalf, being so blindingly wrong, but he'll never take any responsibility and admit such a thing. Instead he'll continue to manipulate situations and the words of others to suit his own agenda's (yes, that's plural). I'm surprised he even has people to argue with anymore.

4 people like this

12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

^,^^^

Yes and no. I actually agree with you that formation is not everything.  But it is a big part of everything. Formation is about where you start from in each task and where you return to when the task is accomplished. Imagine that Conte instructs V. Moses to close in on the opposition's LB when Courtois kicks the ball, and Moses is deep in our half of the pitch.  

Players have an instinctive reaction to what is happening on the pitch. They know they must close down, run wide, tackle etc. One reason some teams get it done may have to do with being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

People  wonder what Conte is doing shouting non-stop during every match. If only they knew the difference half a yard can make to breaking down an attack.  

Courtois,  

Azpi, Luiz, Cahill, 

Moses, Chalobah, Kante, Ake

Willian, Costa, Hazard

For me, something like that would be ideal. Still a bloody strong team, but also gives a few minutes to Willian, Ake and Chalobah. 

Zouma to come on for Moses if we're winning. 

That said, not sure we'll see any 'fringe' players at all.  Can't really blame Conte if he goes super full strength 

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

1.  Then why do pople in the media, and oher managers keep talking aout it?

2. And why did our fortunes change so dramatically, when Conte switched to it? And indeed, why does virtually every Prem manager we come up against try to employ their own '3 at the back with wing backs' formation?

1.   They talk a lot of bull though, don't they.  Anyone learnt anything from all the talk?

2. Perhaps because we play 3, not 2 up front?  Perhaps because the change is so insignificant, just matching up with the oppo as they would always do, whatever the paper formation.

13 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Since he left, hardly a week passes without Jose having a swipe at Chelsea. Just imagine that post match press conference if Jose wins, and the weeks or months to follow. I would play the strongest side that guarantees a win if only for the sake still having a TV to watch and a breakable item left in my house. 

Oh dear.  Hell of an imagination you have.

4 hours ago, zaffo said:

Who does? I only saw his post via what you quoted given he's on my ignore list. But that's the standard tripe Droy tends to deliver. If three at the back was such an easy system to play successfully more teams word.

I take it you don't watch much football outside Italy.  Most teams play with a back 3, with one of the FBs pushing up into midfield.  They call it a back 4 but play much the same way as we do.

Watch any team and you'll find on WM and one FB doing much the same as Alonso and Moses both in attacking and defending.  Chelsea were doing this for decades.

Meanwhile why don't you stop posting about droy and start watching football.