• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

chelboy   

I think the game will be much harder than most think. They will park the bus , drop deep and give us no space to run in behind.

I do not believe all those attacking players are unavailable. Its just an excuse he has to play such a defensive game. With the likes of Rashford and Martial there,  he would have been forced to go for a more attacking approach  and he knows that would have  played into our hands. If this was a PL game at OT both Rashford and Martial would start even if they had "knocks" . Expect a very defensive game from them. Another early goal would be perfect.  Jose is looking to pull off one of those  famous defensive 0-1 away wins.

He badly wants to beat us, I actually do not think he is over the sacking even though he says he is. I think it still hurts him especially when he sees us doing well without him. The comments he makes about us show that imo. Always sounding like the jealous ex that is not yet over the relationship.

9 minutes ago, chelboy said:

He badly wants to beat us, I actually do not think he is over the sacking even though he says he is. I think it still hurts him especially when he sees us doing well without him. The comments he makes about us show that imo. Always sounding like the jealous ex that is not yet over the relationship.

Really?  Have you ever actually found those comments in context?

It is a cup quarter final.  That is enough to motivate everyone.

Blue Rod   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Really?  Have you ever actually found those comments in context?

It is a cup quarter final.  That is enough to motivate everyone.

That was quick.

Conte: Great respect and great competition

With the Blues taking on Manchester United in a hotly anticipated FA Cup quarter-final tonight, Antonio Conte has spoken of his respect for Jose Mourinho.

This will be just the second time our head coach has led a team against Mourinho in a competitive fixture and third time overall. His other meetings were our Premier League fixture earlier this season and a friendly against Inter while in charge of Bari, but Conte knows all about the Portuguese’s history at Stamford Bridge and hopes to achieve similar success here.

‘For sure, he is one of the best in the world,’ said Conte. ‘I think that Jose Mourinho wrote a good part of the history of Chelsea. He won a lot with the players and he did a great job here. It is important not to forget this and I have great respect for him because he is a winner and I like his winning mentality.

‘His history with Chelsea is great and I know very well he is in the hearts of the Chelsea fans and this is great because he deserves this. For sure, I hope in the future to try to emulate his wins here.’

The Blues go into the match on a 10-game unbeaten run, looking to set a new club record of 13 consecutive home wins in all competitions. There has been discussion of late about our incisive counter-attacking play, but Conte explained how this is not a focus of his training sessions.

‘Not only here, but I never, never, never train and prepare for the counter-attack,’ he said. ‘I think the counter-attack is an option, only if you have these types of players – players who are very, very fast. When there is this situation to have space, it is normal and the players know very well what they have to do.

‘For me it is important to try to train the other aspects. When we have the ball, when we stay almost always in the opposition half, to find a solution, to prepare when we are attacking – I train this. I think the counter-attack is very difficult to train.

‘We all know that during the game there are different situations and you must be prepared for different games, and also to play in different parts of the pitch. If you have a game where you stay for 70 minutes in the opponents’ half, you must know what you have to do, otherwise you are in trouble.

‘Sometimes you find teams that force you to defend in your own half of the pitch, and you must know how to behave in this moment. It’s important to make sure the players are prepared to face this situation.’

Conte insists that his final team selection tonight will be dictated by just one thing: picking the side he believes gives us the greatest chance of progressing to the semi-finals.

‘The FA Cup is a great competition and for this reason I want to try to make the best decision for the game against United,’ he said. ‘We didn’t play in the week, our last game was Monday, and then we play again on Saturday. I don’t see the necessity to rest players and also, because United will do the same against us.

‘This game is important for us and for them. I think their formation will be very good because I think that United, along with City, have the best squad in this league – with the number of players in the squad and the quality also.

‘Also because they have had four days to recover [from their Europa League trip to Rostov]. We could have played this game on Sunday or Saturday, but we are playing on Monday and I think the FA have shown great respect for Manchester United to play the last day we are able to play this game.’

As always, Conte has taken a single-minded approach in preparation for the tie and refuses to look too far into the future.

‘For me, it is not important to think about winning the Double,’ he said. ‘It is important for me and the players to play game by game, to see what we reach at the end of the season.

‘Now, this game is the most important game, because you either go through or you stop your run in the FA Cup. For this reason, it is the most important game for us in this moment. Then, after tonight, our most important game will be against Stoke. We have to build our way to try to arrive at the end of the season to celebrate something. But the way is very long.’

12 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

So you'd have reacted the same way if the comment on our website had been aimed at say Liverpool instead of United?

Yes. Even if it was aimed at Barca.

GURJ SS   
10 hours ago, chelboy said:

I think the game will be much harder than most think. They will park the bus , drop deep and give us no space to run in behind.

I do not believe all those attacking players are unavailable. Its just an excuse he has to play such a defensive game. With the likes of Rashford and Martial there,  he would have been forced to go for a more attacking approach  and he knows that would have  played into our hands. If this was a PL game at OT both Rashford and Martial would start even if they had "knocks" . Expect a very defensive game from them. Another early goal would be perfect.  Jose is looking to pull off one of those  famous defensive 0-1 away wins.

I agree, it might be better if we invite them onto us, Jose is a tactical genius but his players aren't clever enough to execute plans; I would like to see us draw them out by letting them have the ball, let them make the mistakes they will inevitably make.

TEAM NEWS

Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has been ruled out of the FA Cup quarter-final at Chelsea, leaving his side without a recognised striker.

Rooney collided with Phil Jones in training and misses out with a leg injury, while Zlatan Ibrahimovic begins a three-game ban for elbowing Bournemouth's Tyrone Mings.

Forwards Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford [illness] are also missing.

Chelsea coach Antonio Conte has a fully-fit squad at his disposal.

The precise nature and severity of the leg injury Rooney has sustained is not known but the England captain was unable to complete the training session and will have a scan on Monday.

No blame has been attached to Jones for the incident in what has been described as a "full-bloodied session".

It had been expected that Rooney, 31, was going to be involved because he did not go to Russia for the Europa League last-16 meeting with FC Rostov on Thursday.

Rooney was expected to be named in Gareth Southgate's England squad on Thursday for the friendly against Germany on 22 March and World Cup qualifier against Lithuania at Wembley on 26 March.

He became United's record goalscorer in January, eclipsing Sir Bobby Charlton, but has played only once since 1 February and last month turned down offers to move to China in order to complete the season at Old Trafford.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Chelsea head coach Antonio Conte: "In October, before the game [won 4-0 by Chelsea], I was sure of facing a great team. It's the same now. Manchester United have, together with [Manchester] City, the best squad in the league.

"We have a good identity. We are showing good football, but for sure it will be a really tough game against a good team.

"I hope to be favourites, but to show this on the pitch, not only in the words. The facts are on the pitch. We must talk during the game on the pitch, not before. I prefer to focus on the game, and my players to speak with facts."

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho: "We cannot go with Nicky Butt's team [ie players from the under-23 team, managed by Butt]. Manchester United is too big. Manchester United is the winner of the competition.

"It is not Chelsea's fault that we were given this Monday match, so we have to make changes for sure... but we cannot go to Stamford Bridge with a Nicky Butt team."

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Guy Mowbray: "Antonio Conte made nine changes for rounds three and four, and then seven for the fifth round at Wolves, but I'd be surprised if there were more than a couple for this one - if any.

"There's a five day gap before Chelsea's next game, and with players already talking of 'the double', why risk breaking the rhythm?

"United's heavier fixture load makes Jose Mourinho's selection plans less clear, as does the depth of a squad that Conte has - quite rightly - spoken of as being the Premier League's strongest.

"Whoever replaces Ibrahimovic as striker has reason to shine - but not as strong as Mourinho's reason to win. Revenge? No - it's surely natural."

Twitter: @Guymowbray

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Manchester United's busy schedule that saw them play in Russia in the Europa League on Thursday night will obviously make a difference.

I will be fascinated to see what team United boss Jose Mourinho picks, because Chelsea are not a side you want to play when you are tired.

The Blues are cruising in the league, 10 points clear and they have to be favourites to win that and the FA Cup too. There is no better team than them in the Premier League at the moment.

Prediction: 2-0

• MATCH FACTS:

Head-to-head

• This is the 12th time the sides have been paired together in the FA Cup. Of the 11 previous ties, Manchester United have won eight and Chelsea three.
  • The Blues have prevailed in both ties since the turn of the century - winning 1-0 in the final in 2007 and 1-0 in a sixth-round replay at Stamford Bridge in 2013.
  • Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 11 league and cup games against United (W6, D5), and have only conceded three times in the last nine encounters.
  • The Reds have only won two of their last 19 league and cup games at Stamford Bridge (D6, L11).

Chelsea

• The last time Chelsea knocked the FA Cup holders out was in 1966, when they beat Liverpool in round three.
  • The Blues have won 15 of their 16 home games under Antonio Conte in all competitions, including the last 12.
  • The only home match they failed to win this term was a 2-1 defeat by Liverpool on 16 September.
  • They have won nine of their last 10 FA Cup home games - with the exception being a 4-2 defeat by Bradford in 2015.
  • Chelsea have reached the FA Cup quarter-finals 12 times in the 21st century - more than any other side.
  • Pedro has scored in each round of this season's FA Cup, scoring a total of four goals (also registering two assists).

Manchester United

• The last time United lost an FA Cup tie away from Old Trafford was their 1-0 defeat by Chelsea in 2013.
  • The Reds have progressed in 10 of their last 13 FA Cup quarter-final ties.
  • Jose Mourinho has never lost an FA Cup quarter-final.
  • United's 4-0 loss at Stamford Bridge in October was Mourinho's heaviest defeat in English football - and his worst since his Real Madrid side lost 5-0 to Barcelona in 2010.
  • This will be United's 46th competitive game of the season, but only Chelsea's 34th.
  • Marcus Rashford has scored four goals in his six FA Cup appearances for Manchester United.

I just placed a tenner on United to win this 1-0 - we all know what a Mourinho team is capable of. With a return of £130.00, I thought it would be a nice way to ease the pain.

If I was a betting man, however, I would bet on Chelsea to win this 2-0 within 90 minutes.

Juan Mata , he's fit and he's likely to be paired up front with Felaini .

If we don't beat this lot handsomely then we need a right kicking.

xCELERYx   
48 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

I agree, it might be better if we invite them onto us, Jose is a tactical genius but his players aren't clever enough to execute plans; I would like to see us draw them out by letting them have the ball, let them make the mistakes they will inevitably make.

Wouldn't really call JM a "tactical genius" these days. While still a quality manager, it's been one of the areas where he's kinda fallen behind of late and become a little stagnate. He'll no doubt try to set his side up to nullify our threats, however we're a side that has the ability to alter our approach under Conte. We can sit back and soak up pressure, we can play while being more on the front foot, we can counter at frightening speed, we can play through the middle or spread the pitch and play wide, etc. 

Mourinho's issue still remains Pogba and finding the best way to utilise him. Thus far, he's still failed to really work out the best way of doing that. This is partly due to the system's Mourinho employs, partly because of the type of players in their squad, and the sort of player Pogba is overall.  It's one area I expect Conte to target and aim to exploit.

Should be a good little tactical battle give the emphasise both managers place upon it.