242 posts in this topic

What a win! Stoke kicked lumps out of us for 90 minutes and the referee was very poor. First half Martins Indi and Shawcross were intent on giving Costa rough treatment and he inevitably lost his head when the ref repeatedly failed to give anything. Costa did not react well to this and I have to say that at half time I was very frustrated with him and worried about a red card. Second half he was excellent. He started staying on his feet and suddenly his touch was back, reminded me of the recent West Ham game where his play followed a similar pattern.

Thought the penalty was incredibly soft and nowhere near as bad as what Costa was receiving with every touch.

I can kind of see the reasoning to start Matic as this was a very physical game but without Hazard and Fabregas on the pitch we lacked a cutting edge. This inevitably ended with the 70 minute sub of Cesc with a remit to save a game that was falling away.

I did not like the 424 panic formation that we changed to and as soon as we got the goal and switched back to a back 3 I thought we regained control of the game. I think the issue with four at the back is Alonso suddenly having to play far deeper and Azpi whose attacking ability from RB has never been his strongest point. Ruben was good when he came on and a bit like Deli Alli I think we may find his best position is playing in this half space position on the left of a front three.

David Luiz has been an absolute rock at the back all season but in recent weeks we are starting to see his passing ability again. It's no coincidence that the knee brace has come off ever since he was rested vs Wolves. Undoubtedly been the best defender in the league this season and hilarious to see so many pundits and journalists actually admitting they were wrong on this one. Could we even see Graeme Souness eating some humble pie? Doubtful.

The goal from Cahill felt like a huge moment and I think this win away to the orcs trying to decapitate our players was a real Blackburn 05 moment. Seeing Conte hanging off of the roof of the dugout will live long in my memory.

Edited by samhoward17
2 people like this

11 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

What a win! Stoke kicked lumps out of us for 90 minutes and the referee was very poor. First half Martins Indi and Shawcross were intent on giving Costa rough treatment and he inevitably lost his head when the ref repeatedly failed to give anything. Costa did not react well to this and I have to say that at half time I was very frustrated with him and worried about a red card. Second half he was excellent. He started staying on his feet and suddenly his touch was back, reminded me of the recent West Ham game where his play followed a similar pattern.

Thought the penalty was incredibly soft and nowhere near as bad as what Costa was receiving with every touch.

I can kind of see the reasoning to start Matic as this was a very physical game but without Hazard and Fabregas on the pitch we lacked a cutting edge. This inevitably ended with the 70 minute sub of Cesc with a remit to save a game that was falling away.

I did not like the 424 panic formation that we changed to and as soon as we got the goal and switched back to a back 3 I thought we regained control of the game. I think the issue with four at the back is Alonso suddenly having to play far deeper and Azpi whose attacking ability from RB has never been his strongest point. Ruben was good when he came on and a bit like Deli Alli I think we may find his best position is playing in this half space position on the left of a front three.

David Luiz has been an absolute rock at the back all season but in recent weeks we are starting to see his passing ability again. It's no coincidence that the knee brace has come off ever since he was rested vs Wolves. Undoubtedly been the best defender in the league this season and hilarious to see so many pundits and journalists actually admitting they were wrong on this one. Could we even see Graeme Souness eating some humble pie? Doubtful.

The goal from Cahill felt like a huge moment and I think this win away to the orcs trying to decapitate our players was a real Blackburn 05 moment. Seeing Conte hanging off of the roof of the dugout will live long in my memory.

Exactly the thought I had to, when the players were told by JM to throw their shirts to our fans.

Kante and Luiz were very good. Kante must be one of the most consistent players in the world. He puts in 8/9 out of 10 performances week in week out. Amazing player. Our best player IMO.

Despite it being a physical game I still think Cesc was needed from the start. Still waiting for Costa to have a world class performance. Its been a while. 

52 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

In many ways it is still concerning that we are edging games rather than putting in huge performances the way a team playing every 5 days on average should be doing.

Excuse me?

42 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

I did not like the 424 panic formation that we changed to and as soon as we got the goal and switched back to a back 3 I thought we regained control of the game.

It was much closer to 433 or 4231 than 424 given RLC practically operated from CM positions the entire time he was on with Diego continuing as the long striker. There seemed like more space in the middle partly because RLC is more of an attacker than a defender and I thought he played the role beautifully and really should have scored today.

GET IN!!! MASSIVE WIN!!! Went mental when Cahill scored that! Wish I had been up there today...!

Referee was atrocious. Let them get away with viciousness all game, gifted them a penalty, slightly soft disallowed goal for them, just a terrible refereeing performance.

Full marks to Conte, read everything perfectly again today - what about that Loftus-Cheek substitution?! This manager is an absolute beast, we are SO lucky to have him!

13 points clear!!

COME ON!!!

1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

In many ways it is still concerning that we are edging games rather than putting in huge performances the way a team playing every 5 days on average should be doing.

In no way at all is today's performance concerning. Have to be joking considering what Stoke were trying (and allowed) to do today.

35 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

It was much closer to 433 or 4231 than 424 given RLC practically operated from CM positions the entire time he was on with Diego continuing as the long striker. There seemed like more space in the middle partly because RLC is more of an attacker than a defender and I thought he played the role beautifully and really should have scored today.

Initially I did assume it was a 433 but I personally thought RLC was playing far closer to Costa. Before he came on Cesc was drifting in a free role but soon dropped in alongside Kante. To be honest there's not much difference between the 4231 / 424 I just thought it was a bit of a kamikaze tactic and resulted in us losing control for a period. I agree Ruben did play well but I do not see his future in the deeper midfield and I don't think he's played that role at all since Conte came in.  

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Exactly the thought I had to, when the players were told by JM to throw their shirts to our fans.

Only just considered that Blackburn were also managed by Mark Hughes that day. If anyone wants to see a bitter man I would suggest watching his post-match conference. When asked whether his players targeted Costa he said it was the other way around and that Conte encourages 'gamesmanship'. Slightly ironic given the filthy tactics today and I seem to remember dropping points here in past seasons when the time wasting usually starts before half-time.

1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

The shots stats today would show that we are dominating, but need to put more chances away. That said we hit the woodwork twice and their goalie made a couple of great saves.