242 posts in this topic

C7OlPVrX4AAakqN?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by OfWolfAndBiggs
1 person likes this

Neat picture, shows it meant a lot to them.

A lot of big clubs have dropped points against Stoke so well done to the lads, once again.

26 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Neat picture, shows it meant a lot to them.

A lot of big clubs have dropped points against Stoke so well done to the lads, once again.

I read that they haven't lost at home since November, we were also misssing the best player in the league. Great result!

2 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

Only just considered that Blackburn were also managed by Mark Hughes that day. If anyone wants to see a bitter man I would suggest watching his post-match conference. When asked whether his players targeted Costa he said it was the other way around and that Conte encourages 'gamesmanship'. Slightly ironic given the filthy tactics today and I seem to remember dropping points here in past seasons when the time wasting usually starts before half-time.

Yep. You and I in sync totally on this Sam. Hughes? A "boyo" thug manager in every sense and he routinely sends his team out to assault the opposition whenever he deems them to be superior, particularly us. He's a piece of crap.

Exciting game yes.  Entertaining not so much.  Nervewracking - very.

Willian, Pedro and Costa all very good - Kante incredible.  Without Fabregas, Kante has stepped up and become much more important in our creative play.

RLC - simply put - the first time in a first team shirt where he has looked good to me.  Pleased that he volunteered at corners to take the ball, and take the kicks while wasting time (Luiz/Rafael style).

How many free kicks has Alonso taken now.  I remember just two - both hitting the crossbar.  I think he has deserved another chance.

1 hour ago, chelsea_matt said:

The shots stats today would show that we are dominating, but need to put more chances away. That said we hit the woodwork twice and their goalie made a couple of great saves. 

Yes on chances we dominated very much.  Though largely because we restricted Stoke to so few.  Indeed we dominated much more than some games we have won by 2 or 3.

There is a debate as to whether we should make more (or rather earlier) attempt at putting games to bed.  I think this game shows just how difficult it is to get 3 points in the Prem, even against teams you are quite a bit stronger than.  On the other hand Conte's tactics did result in a win.  So the result and the fact we are protecting a 10 point lead, not trying to overhaul anyone elses probably justify the cautious approach (but not the absence of Fabregas).

3 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

(shortened)
What a win! Stoke kicked lumps out of us for 90 minutes and the referee was very poor. 

Thought the penalty was incredibly soft and nowhere near as bad as what Costa was receiving with every touch.

I did not like the 424 panic formation that we changed to and as soon as we got the goal and switched back to a back 3 I thought we regained control of the game. I think the issue with four at the back is Alonso suddenly having to play far deeper and Azpi whose attacking ability from RB has never been his strongest point. Ruben was good when he came on and a bit like Deli Alli I think we may find his best position is playing in this half space position on the left of a front three.

Ref - not that sure.  Costa did go down very easily again (as he did against Man U).  And he fully deserved his own yellow.  But the two main errors cancelled themselves out I reckon - if Cahill did not foul for the penalty, then neither did Azpi get fouled for the cancelled goal (I'm kind of assuming that was the reason).

He did book two of their players H1 for fouls - which to be fair is no more than we can expect (if less than they deserved).  And the double booking on the 65th min pretty much turned the game.  They committed 16 fouls in the game (plus 7 or 8 play ons) so 5 bookings is not that far wrong.  My only real issue with the ref is that the final 2 footed challenge should have been straight Red not second yellow.  My guess is that the ref was only too happy to be able to get his card out without being accused of interfering with the result.

Still I guess those that pointed out Man U's brute performance was nothing special for the Prem could have predicted this game pattern.  That Hughes - desperate to beat his old club.  Snarky remarks after the game because he is jealous of the success of our new CF.   “He draws fouls and tries to make the most of contact when they are not fouls. He is adept at the dark arts and everyone in football recognises that.” And he makes a point of wearing a Stoke tie to games.

424 (or 4231).  Actually I was quite pleased to see we had an alternative formation.  But I agree that we ended up in with 4 at the back instead for much of the time and Alonso's contribution was stunted.  Better when RLC came on and Fabregas moved to LCM - which effectively gave us another runner in their half to replace the two WBs that get forward.
But actually as a temporary measure I quite like the way that Azpi pushes up alongside Kante (as for much of the Man U game and today).  

On 17/03/2017 at 0:50 PM, chelsian2015 said:

Yes indeed, this game is extremely important at this stage,not being able to steal the 3 points would set us back out of our comfort zone and the mental stress will be higher. We still have some good alternatives, Zuma is fit, Pedro will bring us more than Willian would according to his recent performance, Cesc must start if we want to increase our attack chances,and Costa is under a big test here.

2/1 for Chelsea    

I told you, but you don't listen, 2/1, and I was about to say that Cahil progressing nicely under Conte's hands, but I was very busy, LOL. I will not criticise any player, nor mention any flaw that was whispering into my Chelsea's fan sweet football starving head, but I have to say Courtois was enjoying watching a good game, Conte felt that he was so lucky to accept the offer, and Hazard thought, what Ronaldo felt when his team took his revenge in his absence. 

once long time ago during the beginning of the PL on this forum, I metioned a staement from a movie colors in 1988, and the admin blocked it*And guess what?.........:).

If I would do anything to the team to make it better, I would buy one A good CM to replace Matic, If I would open the dictionary to the word sloppy , I will see Matic photo  on top of the describtion, give it up people. Watch the game again , and come back to me if this guy should be considered for the 2017/2018 season. Loftus forced his name in this game in 10 minutes only, and he deserve a position from a start.

Congratulations , Chelsea is the PL champion, but it would not feel the same without wining the FA cup.

Unbelievably dirty Stoke today. Amazing they still had 10 on at the end. The treatment Costa got must have been bad as MotD didn't mention it at all except to allude to his behaviour.

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yep. You and I in sync totally on this Sam. Hughes? A "boyo" thug manager in every sense and he routinely sends his team out to assault the opposition whenever he deems them to be superior, particularly us. He's a piece of crap.

Just out of interest, what did you think of Hughes when he played for us Pete?

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

So the result and the fact we are protecting a 10 point lead, not trying to overhaul anyone elses probably justify the cautious approach (but not the absence of Fabregas).

Actually the result does indeed justify that. Fabregas is a fantastic player and to get the best out of him in this kind of (horrible) game he needs to come on fresh to do maximum damage in widening gaps.

Conte is managing this situation superbly and Fabregas has matched that in being remarkably professional throughout.