242 posts in this topic

Excellent result. Gritty performance overall at one of the toughest places to visit. Banana skin avoided, on we march.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, we won this game comfortably, and the scoreline absolutely flattered Stoke. Away from home, and we dominated with 64% possession, had 20 shots to their 5 (7 of those on target, compared to their 1), and 11 corners to their 5. The only thing that the boys didn't deliver, were those extra 2-3 goals that we deserved.  Kante, Willian, and Alsonso were outstanding imo, with a special mention for Loftus-Cheek's cameo. Loved Conte's reaction to our second goal - real passion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Just out of interest, what did you think of Hughes when he played for us Pete?

Very good for us as a player, but always been a manager who has adopted physical intimidation as a tactic. Largely because of the teams he's managed, which has embittered him down the years I suspect. He's always felt that he's not been given a chance to manage a top team, particularly ourselves and in that Blackburn game and today his team's approach reflected his sense of injustice. His post match interview today was a complete travesty of what took place in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Very good for us as a player, but always been a manager who has adopted physical intimidation as a tactic. Largely because of the teams he's managed, which has embittered him down the years I suspect. He's always felt that he's not been given a chance to manage a top team, particularly ourselves and in that Blackburn game and today his team's approach reflected his sense of injustice. His post match interview today was a complete travesty of what took place in the game.

Hughes is a dick. He talks of Diego's dark arts yet he manages one of the most thuggish teams in the league. And speaking of which, the penalty was VERY soft. Dive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of Diego's antics were invented by Mark Hughes , like that bellend Martin Keown he's totally forgotten what he did in the past , Hughes was supposed to be striving to switch their play to a more easy on the eye style , the trouble is you cannot do that when the side is packed with players like the appalling Bardsley whose raison d'etre is to kick , kick and kick again.

These morons only get away with it because the officials are of the barrel scraping variety.

Every week the referees are compliant in ruining the games by , thanks to Mavis Riley agenda of  managing the games , presumably to satisfy the EPL's narrative , rather than applying the laws of the game in a fair and transparent manner.

It's becoming a bit of a joke frankly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SS_89 said:

We don't counter attack with anywhere near the same speed without hazard.

Apparently we;

1. Don't play counter-attack

2. Aren't reliant on Hazard

You must have missed the company memo as well. It's heavily frowned upon to try and be honest here these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez Dave. Did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning?

I've never, and I don't think anyone has, said that we don't counter attack. It is one of our tools but we have many more tools. But when you say that we are just a counter attacking team, that's when people will have an issue. To quote your reply in another thread, are you able to read.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you could argue that in the past we were over reliant on Drogba and Lampard to win games.

We certainly do enjoy the counter , but it's not the only string to our bow.

Two games in a row where we couldn't counter attack as the opposition didn't bother attacking where they were concentrating so much on kicking first Hazard (United) and Costa (United and Stoke).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea foot said:

I've never, and I don't think anyone has, said that we don't counter attack. It is one of our tools but we have many more tools. But when you say that we are just a counter attacking team, that's when people will have an issue. To quote your reply in another thread, are you able to read.

The question is not which tool we use, but what we choose to do at the start of a game (rather than when a goal down with 20 mins to go).

We do start the game with a plan based on counter-attack.  And there are some here who have denied it (though mostly this is to do with them wanting to prove JM a liar, rather than an analysis of our game).

And yes so did JM at times when here.  First time around (when the oppo was mostly weaker) and particularly at this point 2 years ago, when defending a big points lead at the top of the Prem.

I agree we have the tools to attack.  Just as JM's teams had the tools (put Essien at RB and go rampant - probably the best and most entertaining spells of football we have ever had, shame they were so rare and didn't last long).  But we don't, generally, play attacking football.

Not just  and a counter-attacking team.  Nut mostly  one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Apparently we;

1. Don't play counter-attack

2. Aren't reliant on Hazard

You must have missed the company memo as well. It's heavily frowned upon to try and be honest here these days. 

Yes Hazard was absolutely pivotal in our victory yesterday... oh wait it was again fantastic performances by Kante, Luiz....  so not just reliant on Hazard then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now